Old 01-18-2008, 09:29 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 195/ticker/155

Height: 5'6"

Default Help!! Portion ????

I have a ? about serving size lets say your gonna have something really healthy for lunch or dinner. like beef chow mein. It has 90 caleries in a serving ( 1 cup ) lets say thats all you want and you want 2 sevings , everyone says stick to portions and servings but as long as its counted can i have 2 serving ( 2 cups ) since its 90% veggies. 2 servings would be 180 caleries.. still low for a whole meal. Any tips???
skinnyvanilly2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 09:50 AM   #2  
Heather 2.0

S/C/G: 290/281/139

Height: 5'8"

Well, honestly, if you can find beef chow mein for 90 calories a cup, then by all means, have two cups! I'm amazed. Chow mein is a noodle based dish. Beef, as a rule, tends to have more calories per ounce than chicken or shrimp. Is this not from a restaurant, but something you got at the grocery store?? Or better yet, are you making it yourself and have worked out the calories??

You know, you're counting calories. If you WANTED to, you could eat 1500 calories of just chocolate cake - bleh, you wouldn't WANT to, but you could. What you eat is up to you.

But be sure you have the calories right...

EDIT: I'm personally very wary of some 'stated portion sizes' - I couldn't just have one cup of chow mein and call it a meal. It's like saying 'one slice of pizza' from a frozen pizza... that's not enough to keep you going! So, 90 calories a cup? Yes, you need to eat more - just because the nutritional info is based on a cup, that doesn't make one cup, necessarily, a 'portion'. Make sense?

Last edited by HeatherAngel; 01-18-2008 at 09:56 AM.
HeatherAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 10:02 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 267/see ticker/139

You could have two servings. However the Sodium content is going to be very high. If your are eating a can of La Choy, each serving has 880mg of Sodium.

Lori
lorilove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 10:58 AM   #4  

Default Thank you sodium savor!

Wow I totally forgot about sodium!!! Thank you! Ya know what i'm gonna do? Since I love it so much and how healthier it would be for me, I am gonna rinse all the veggies first and seperate the beef from the sauce and only use 1/4 of the sauce. I usually check the sodium, but today you reminded me! You're a life saver, I've been drowning myself with drinkin so much water I bet I would have retained a lot if i ate 2 cups with 1600+ sodium in it!!
Old 01-18-2008, 11:05 AM   #5  

To answer the ? on what I'm gonna eat is : It's LaChoy in the can. Just vegetables sauce and small chunks of beef, there's no noodles in this one. I tastes fantastic, I hope it still does when i try to reduce the sodium!!