Old 01-13-2008, 07:19 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 236/214/165

Height: 5'6"

Unhappy CLOSED -- Pure Weight Loss -- Did ya know?

You do all know that as of January 4th, all Pure Weight Loss Centers (with the exceptions of a very few that are independently owned) are now closed. Because I hadn't been there since November, I did not receive a phone call from my center, nor notification any other way. I had just purchased 10
boxes of bars in advance "at the special advance purchase price" and never got them.

Just a word of advice, you can file a refund request via the website pureathome.com or, if you charged it, you can file a dispute
with your credit card company and they'll "fight the fight" for you.
Just some info I got. I'm moving on to Weight Watchers!

Last edited by lbandkids; 01-13-2008 at 07:19 PM.
lbandkids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 07:59 PM   #2  
Amy- Red w/Lites

S/C/G: 286/ticker/199

Height: 5'9

Yes, most of us have known since mid Dec. Sorry you just found out!

GL on WW and thanks for the tips!
amylou7777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 02:24 PM   #3  

Pure At Home closed down but LAWL is still alive and well. The only bad thing is, I was doing Pure online and could order bars, etc online but I cannot do that anymore. I guess there is always Ebay!
drtlc1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 10:17 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 220/170/155

Height: 5' 8"

Truth is you do not need any of the LAWL products to do this program. I have lost 25# and not used any product after the first three weeks. Everything can be bought for less some where else of is just plain useless. PERIOD.
Tuesday Cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 10:43 AM   #5  

Default all about motivation

I worked for lawl/pure weight loss and ALL the corporate centers are closed. The only centers still open are franchise and that might not be for too much longer. You do not need the LAWL products to lose weight. Don't spend more money and switch to WW, just follow what you've learned through LAWL and ask any questions through this site. I've copied my food journal and I'm just sticking to what I learned while checking out this site for motivation, support and great recipes. Keep going!!
mazda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 12:28 PM   #6  

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazda View Post
I worked for lawl/pure weight loss and ALL the corporate centers are closed. The only centers still open are franchise and that might not be for too much longer. You do not need the LAWL products to lose weight. Don't spend more money and switch to WW, just follow what you've learned through LAWL and ask any questions through this site. I've copied my food journal and I'm just sticking to what I learned while checking out this site for motivation, support and great recipes. Keep going!!

You have me worried. I am in Texas, and my center was a franchise, and is now owned by corporate. The manager at the center has been excited about it, saying products would be much more available. So are you saying LAWL is going to completely be nonexistent??? They told me at the center of the changes in December, it was official the first of the year, and I got a letter from corporate that the center was now owned by them yesterday. Thanks for any info!!
donnakd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 06:34 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 230/211/165

Height: 5'5"

Get what is owed to you and don't buy anything else. It hurts to lose so much money.
hereicome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 08:10 PM   #8  
Liza - LAWL since 6/17/07

Height: 5'4"

I'm sorry and you might just be trying to be helpful but this statement is not true. Only the franchises that switched to PURE are closed. They tried to break away from LAWL to be their own company it just didn't work.

This paragraph may help you understand why 400 of the centers changed names and those are the ones that filed for chapter 7:

"Vahan Karian and Harold Katz, two LA Weight Loss partners, split up three years ago, leading eventually to a name change for 400 LA Weight Loss stores, which became Pure Weight Loss outlets beginning last summer. Karian now heads Pure Weight Loss while Katz is in charge of LA Weight Loss."

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazda View Post
I worked for lawl/pure weight loss and ALL the corporate centers are closed. The only centers still open are franchise and that might not be for too much longer.
lizababe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 05:58 PM   #9  
Deb on LAWL

S/C/G: 256.8/see ticker/150

Height: 5'6"

Donna- If your center is still called LAWL then I think you are pretty safe, since the corporate ones closed on Jan 4. I don't get where your center manager says they are now owned by corporate. I had a long discussion with the assistant manager at my center a couple of weeks ago and she explained what Liza said above. The mgr. and assis. mgr at my center go to a lot of of the classes, meetings and shows so they can stay on top of what is going on in LAWL world and she assured me that Harold Katz was in it for the long haul and was a very good business minded person, she had nothing bad to say about him as a business person. So I would say if your center goes down, it's an isolated incident since each center is now franchised out.

Last edited by MTdebster921; 01-20-2008 at 05:59 PM.
MTdebster921 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 09:20 PM   #10  
amy

S/C/G: 197.4/170.4/145

Height: 5'4"

I wish Harold Katz would just put all the LAWL back where the Pures where. It was sad when they closed. There is an LAWL center an hour and a half away from me that said they would send me lites if I paid for shipping.
alwayssmilin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 01:51 AM   #11  

Okay--I had to go hunt the letter down, you had me doubting myself. Here is exactly what the letter says--------
"Dear Valued Client,
You are a valued member of the LA Weight Loss family and we are looking forward to your continued success on our weight loss program. The purpose of this letter is to inform you that your center location is now owned and operated by LA Weight Loss Corporate Headquarters.
As a corporate team we pride ourselves on providing the best level of service possible. What does this mean to you. you will find all your favorite products in abundance and readily available, new convenient hours and much much more! In addition, you will see an improved level of support and the center and also enjoy the benefits of being backed by a large team of experts, with unlimited resources.
We are very excited to become part of your local area, and anxious to introduce all teh new changes in your center. Come back and experience the Brand New LA Weight Loss."
It goes on to tell a few new things(I don't see anything "new"), including ControlTrim, and has a coupon on the bottom of the letter.
So what do you think?? I am going in tomorrow and will ask a few questions!
Old 01-22-2008, 12:57 PM   #12  

When I went in yesterday, one couselor was on her way out the door, the manager was with someone in her office, and another counselor(the newest one there) was with another client in his cubicle. I had to wait at least 20 minutes, and saw the new guy when he was finished. Was my first time to talk to him. I didn't even bother asking any questions about corporate--will wait and ask the manager or one of the counselors that has been with them for years. Going back on Thursday--hopefully will be able to ask questions then.