Old 01-15-2008, 06:17 PM   #1  
Alannah

S/C/G: 260/231/140

Height: 5'3"

Default Curves - the gym

Hey ladies,

My best friend at work just joined curves which is right across the street from work and only 5 mins for me from home. We get a corporate discount so start up is 75% off. She wants me to join too so we can go together. Has anyone here ever belonged and if so what was it like? She likes it so far but she's only been going for a week or so.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated....

Alannah
equinetcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 06:31 PM   #2  
Cecilia

S/C/G: 205/Check the Ticker/155

Height: 5'2

Allanah,

I have never actually been there my self but one of my girlfriends worked there and also excercised there but she did not think that it was affective. But everyone is different. I am pretty sure that is where she went. They have the stations right?
cecil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 06:33 PM   #3  
Jamie

S/C/G: 169.5/147.8/140

Height: 5'7

My mom and sister both joined curves. They both really like it and loss weight. My sister stop going to join a different gym, but my mom still goes I think it's been about a 2 years now. Although she has stop lossing weight, but she also stop eating like she was in the being. I'm not sure if this helps.
momofbg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 06:42 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 185/168/150

Height: 5'8

Curves is a great starter place.If you have no been active then that is the place to start.When you are in better shape then I would move to a gym.Curves can only take you so far.I liked it but grew out of it after a year.
fitbyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 02:31 AM   #5  
Amy- Red w/Lites

S/C/G: 286/ticker/199

Height: 5'9

So, I had great reservations about Curves. My mom and grandma both joined years ago (mom is 53, grams is 77) so I thought it was going to be a total joke when I joined for a summer just to make them happy. The trick to curves is that YOU control how hard you work. Me and my family were the perfect example. While I was jogging, lifting and huffing and puffing, my grandma was just there to move her body and not really to sweat. We both got great workouts for our ability. I was not on a diet at all ( I was newly 21 and drinking A LOT) and I lost 7lbs immediately. Unfortunately it was just for the summer bc afterwards I moved up north (where I proceeded to gain 40lbs).

I've been thinking about going back bc it is so convenient and quick (1/2 hour everytime) and I felt like it was a great workout, but you have to be careful not to "under"do it.

Hope that helps!
amylou7777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 10:27 AM   #6  
Starting over after baby!

S/C/G: 285/See Ticker/200

Height: 5'7''

I agree with Amy! It really is how hard you work! All of their machines use hydraulics so the harder and faster you push or pull more resistance is generated. I wasnt trying very hard nor was I going 3 times/week like recommended, but I lost 4 lbs the first month. I had to quit Curves to afford the payment for LAWL! But if you can get it discounted, go for it! They may even have a 30 day "trial" period. Have you visited their website? http://www.curves.com/ After you join they should give you information to join their myCurves website which has all kinds of support and message boards.
bradleys mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 11:20 AM   #7  
Heather - East TN

S/C/G: 190.8/153.7/150.8

Height: 5' 7"

I was a Curves member for about a year and a half. I really liked it - when I'd go. I was stronger and in better shape, although still overweight, during that 18 months than any other time I can remember. I did like that I could control the intensity of my workout - like Amy said. If I was just not into it that day, I was still doing more for myself just by going through the motions than I would be sitting on my butt. While I didn't do it so much for weight loss, I did lose inches and build muscles (that I really miss now!)
I quit because it was just not convenient enough for me to make it even the minimum 3x per week. The problem was it was another 15 minutes down the road beyond my office and didn't open until 8 AM. I rarely leave the office for lunch and after work wasn't an option since I have a 30 min. commute the opposite direction and kids to pick up by a certain time. It was okay for awhile to not get to work until 8:45 or so and still have to change clothes. But, I'm most productive in the AM and was used to getting to work at 7:30 and getting a lot done before everyone else wandered in at 8:30 or 9. During stressful times at work, I'd skip Curves and it would be hard to get back in the habit if I did that for an extended time.
All that said, if you can get a discount AND it's convenient for you to do at least 3x per week, go for it!!! It's fun, doesn't require any special training or ability and you do see results if you put in a little effort. Oh, and it's Women Only so there's no meat-market feel to the place.
Heather115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 11:23 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 212.6/149.6/150

I went for about 18 months before I started eating better. I was very faithful (3 times a week like they recommend) and I never saw too much of a difference. Never saw too much difference with any of the people that I saw there regularly. Of course, I wasn't eating right at the time, either. The one I went to didn't give much one on one attention, and as a result people worked the machines differently and the staff didn't really monitor it. But, on the other hand, it sure beats doing nothing at all!
PJS145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 11:36 AM   #9  
TBL Challenge Blue Team

S/C/G: 308/199/175

Height: 5'6"

I agree with alot of the comments on this page. I joined for 1 year and in that year with dieting lost alost 80 pounds. NOW, I worked out very hard and after ging for about 6 month worked out for 1 hour instead of 30 minutes and usually went 5 days a week.

It is a good starter place as well as great for seniors. The problem is that if you have a great deal to lose as I did, you will eventually need more. If you are just maintaining, it might not be a bad option too. Esp at the cost discount you are getting. I got a great deal too and really loved my center, but it just wasn't enough after a while (a good while though).

Good luck and let us know whether you chose to join or not.
krjpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 12:04 PM   #10  

Have to agree with many of the above. I belonged for almost a year. Lost weight, lost inches, and felt great! I quit because the location wasn't the best for me when my son was into all kinds of activities in the opposite direction. For the discount that you will get, there is no reason not to give it a try. Oh, the one that I went to was great about giving everyone the attention they needed. They were good about getting people started on the machines, and if they saw anything wrong with the way people were doing things, they were right there to help out.
Tammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 12:18 PM   #11  

i lost a good chunk of weight when i tried it, but then i came to college and well, i wasn't too concerned about finding one down here. so i guess it didn't really mean much to me. but in my defense i go to indiana university and we have one of the best gyms in the country, and i can go for free. and i did for a while, but i always lose interest. in the end i think i like doing things i don't have to go to a specific place for. walking, yoga, pilates, etc...
beautybooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 04:49 PM   #12  
Alannah

S/C/G: 260/231/140

Thanks for all the info guys, really appreciate it. I probably will try it maybe come february once I see what my new paycheck is going to be. My friend loves it so far and it would be something we could try and do together a couple of times a week.

Thanks again!!
equinetcan is offline   Reply With Quote