Old 01-15-2008, 12:39 PM   #1  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Default 20-year Study Finds No Association Between Low-carb Diets And Risk Of Coronary Heart

Here's some very interesting reading about low carb eating & Coronary Heart Disease.
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...1109095850.htm

JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 12:43 PM   #2  
Finding My Bliss

S/C/G: Fit & Fat!

Height: Tall & Strong, Baby!

Interesting to see a study done on women (there are so few longitudinal studies of this kind).

It appears that lower carb diets with a high proportion of plant-based protein and fat were the healthiest, according to this study.

"This study suggests that neither a low-fat dietary pattern nor a typical low-carbohydrate dietary pattern is ideal with regards to risk of CHD; both have similar risks. However, if a diet moderately lower in carbohydrates is followed, with a focus on vegetable sources of fat and protein, there may be a benefit for heart disease," said Tom Halton, a former doctoral student in the Department of Nutrition at HSPH.

Last edited by SoulBliss; 01-15-2008 at 12:43 PM.
SoulBliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 02:39 PM   #3  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulBliss View Post
It appears that lower carb diets with a high proportion of plant-based protein and fat were the healthiest, according to this study.

"This study suggests that neither a low-fat dietary pattern nor a typical low-carbohydrate dietary pattern is ideal with regards to risk of CHD; both have similar risks. However, if a diet moderately lower in carbohydrates is followed, with a focus on vegetable sources of fat and protein, there may be a benefit for heart disease," said Tom Halton, a former doctoral student in the Department of Nutrition at HSPH.

Contrary to popular belief, Atkins is a low carb diet with a high proportion of plant-based protein & fat. The Ongoing Weight Loss, Pre-Maintenance & Maintenance phases of Atkins definitely promote legumes, grains, nuts & seeds (all plant-based proteins).

From day 1 on Atkins...provided you've read the book & are following the plan the way it was written...12-15 of your 20 grams of carbohydrates for the day should be coming from the vegetables & salad items listed on the acceptable foods list. Atkins is not all about eating lbs of bacon, butter & red meats...and quite frankly, if that is the way anyone claiming to do Atkins, is doing it...they are doing it incorrectly!

When you progress from Induction (the 1st phase of Atkins) to On Going Weight Loss (the 2nd phase of Atkins)...it does not say eat more bacon & butter...it instructs you to add more vegetables as well as, adding nuts & seeds and fruit, such as berries & cantaloupe & honeydew.

During Pre-Maintenance, the 3rd phase of Atkins, starchy vegetables such as carrots, acorn squash, yams or sweet potatoes, peas & beets are added. Legumes, such as lentils, kidney beans, black beans, navy beans, lima beans, chickpeas, fava beans & pinto beans are added. Fruits such as apples, cherries, peaches, grapes,strawberries, grapefruit, kiwi, watermelon, plums & bananas are added. Grains such as brown rice, old-fashioned oatmeal, barley & semolina pasta are added.

The final phase of Atkins is Lifetime Maintenance, which if you've followed the phases of Atkins properly, should allow you to continue eating the variety of foods you learned to eat in the Pre-Maintenance phase and determined your ACE (Atkins Carbohydrate Equilibiruim). Your ACE is the carb level you personally can eat each day to maintain your weight.

Atkins is a healthy way of eating and as this study showed, appears to have positive effects on your health

JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 09:37 PM   #4  
Surreality

I read that study in the journal, it was interesting. They didn't include Atkins because they said it was too restrictive. Their low carb diet was between 20% and 29% carbs and 50% fat. It sounds like the low carb diet they tested didn't increase risk of heart disease anymore than a typical American lifestyle. The vegetarian carb controlled diet reduced the risk of heart disease if the carbs were low glycemic. That sounds like a vegetarian version of the South Beach Diet is a better choice. Good carb, good fat?
Old 01-20-2008, 10:13 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 203/157/125

Height: 5'4"

I am so not surpirsed that they wouldn't include any phase of the Atkins diet, not even maintenance. If they did, it would be just another nail in the animal fat is bad and low carb equals death coffin. I always chuckle when I read these articles because no matter how good low carb really is, Dr. Atkins will NEVER get the credit that he deserves from his peers.
sylvia78 is offline   Reply With Quote