Old 11-09-2006, 08:17 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 285~286~185

Default Frustrated-- but Lets see what happens this time!

Hey everyone--

So I was on here a while ago. I am a total yo-yo dieter-- a bit of a compulsive eater as well. For a while I have just been going, I like to eat, oh well. However, since we moved to VA, I have gotten so fat that I can't fit in my clothes-- and they were size 18. I'm discouraged, disheartened and everything else. Losing weight used to be so easy for me, but then with having a baby, and getting a little older (I'm 26)-- It is sooo hard. I'm frustrated because I don't know what to eat or do.

So today starts a new day-- I am going to walk with my daughter and the dogs for 2 one hour walks everyday. I am putting all of the food that goes into my mouth (ALL OF IT) into FitDay. I'm also going to come on here and check in-- and get and give support. So there I am. I'm hoping with y'alls help I can make it work this time!

Erin
erinid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 10:16 AM   #2  
Losing To Live

S/C/G: 289/266/140

Height: 5'5

Hey erinid and welcome back!

We are definitely here for your when you need us. I'm a yo-yo'r myself, and only was it this time around that I am doing things differently. Are you going to do any specific plan or just watch what you eat and exercise? That's pretty much what I'm doing; cal counting and exercise.

Have a great day!
~Mande
martiniforme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 01:29 PM   #3  

hi fellow virginia-dweller! That makes four of us so far on 20-sthngs at least (I have a bad memory!).

I've got the compulsive eating bug too. It's a hard one to battle, so good luck. You just have to learn not to beat yourself up when you slip up, because it just makes it worse and the desire to eat gets stronger. Learn from your mistakes, pick yourself up and brush off, and start moving forward again.

We're here if you need us!

What sort of plan are you following? Sometimes it's good to have structure when you're trying to get started, just to learn some of the basics.
britomart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 02:18 PM   #4  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Hey, Erin! I don't have any kids, but I hear you on the age thing. While mid-20s is still waaaay young, it's a whole new lifestyle from when I was in high school or college, and I'm finding it so hard to work things out just right. We all struggle, but we're also all here to help each other out, so you've come to a GREAT place!

BTW, I'm 24 and live in Alexandria...we should do some mall walking at Potomac Mills sometime Actually, seriously, that mall is so ridiculously huge that I feel I get a workout whenever I even just do some leisurely shopping there! And if you're interested, the new Lane Bryant outlet store there is having a Veteran's Day sale this weekend--I have an email coupon for 25% off any single item when you spend at least $50.
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 03:08 PM   #5  

My suggestion- just take 1 day at a time. Don't go on a major diet, don't start massively killing yourself with exercise. Start with a goal that you have to work out 3 times a week, and then you'll find yourself wanting to do a bit more. I actually workout in the mornings. When you start your day with a work out it affects how you eat all day. For eating just cut out the extra stuff. Think about what your eating before you eat it. Try not to take that second portion. I am also a yo yo dieter, and whenever I try to go on major diets I do them for about 2 weeks and then completely binge until i'm sick on the weekend and give up.
CookieMonster416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 04:36 PM   #6  
mybiggestgoal

S/C/G: 260/194/160

Height: 5'4

Cool Your NOT the only one!!

I have to tell the truth on this I think every person who struggles with their weight is a yoyoer. otherwise we would all be thin. The fact is You can't make drastic changes. Weight loss is just that, you have to make it enjoyable. It has to be a part of your life. My example is I can't stand going to the gym. Being surrounded by people who weigh 110lbs with wet clothes on that are killing themselves to stay a toothpick size is one of my pet peeves. So instead I bought a gazelle just yesturday.

Now whether rain or shine I have no exuses, I just work out while I watch tv. I lost 1 lbs in 1 day just eating right and exercising.

What really works is commiiting yourself to @least 1 hr or exercise a day. 30 min in the morning and 30 @ night. NO matter what happens GIVE YOURSELF THAT TIME. In terms of food I joined weight watchers in hopes to learn. Instead I have given a counter which I thought was way to much work for a student with a busy life.

I had a personal trainer and that went very well on the expensive side but it helped me lose 40 lbs that never came back.

NO matter what your doing DO THINGS YOU LIKE. that way even if you cheat, you have an exercise regime to counteract it!

I know you can do it!

Mini Goal
dautey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 07:49 PM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillybean720 View Post
BTW, I'm 24 and live in Alexandria....
oops, 5 of us!

And Jill, have you moved recently? I don't remember you saying you lived in Alexandria... That's where my dad is/where I spend my summers. Well, until now, since I'm all grown up apparently all the sudden I lived in Park Fairfax.

But sorry to hijack the thread.... back to welcoming and encouraging erinid!!
britomart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 08:33 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by erinid View Post
Hey everyone--
I can make it work this time!

Erin

You said that! And I believe it!
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 10:18 PM   #9  

Height: 5 ft 3 in

I know how you feel. I had my 3rd child 14 months ago, I'm 28, and I have had such a hard time losing weight since then. I know we are still considered young, but the thing is I gained 80 pounds with each of my pregnancies, and it has never been this hard for me to lose weight. I really believe that it's because I'm a few years older.
If I can do it, anyone can do it. I stay at home with my kids, but unfortunately that means I also stay home with my FRIDGE. I have always had issues with food, which I have been able to keep in check for most of my adult life with the exception of pregnancy. But the boredom factor at home makes it way more difficult. Especially having to constantly feed other people food that I should not have. No way my hubby is gonna give up little debbies for salad, so I'm forever staring at chocolate in the pantry. Not helpful.
But all of that CAN be overcome. You sound like this is something you really want for yourself, and that's a huge step in the right direction. Congratulations on your decision, and on coming back to the boards. I couldn't have made it this far myself without the support of all the ladies here!
rebeleagle1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 05:26 AM   #10  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

britomart--I've been in Alexandria just over a year (since October 2005) and was in Manassas for about a year before that and Virginia Beach for about a year before that (can you tell I have trouble settling down? ). I've also worked in Centreville, Chantilly, Falls Church, and now Fairfax...heh, I've quickly become a NoVa mutt

Anyway, back to topic--rebeleagle's post pointed out another MAJOR way in which getting older makes weight loss more difficult. Like I said, I don't think it's so much the actual number (age) as it is the changes in lifestyle that tend to occur with that increasing number. No, I don't have kids at home, but I do live with my boyfriend, and sometimes, that's just as bad Having to feed others in your home makes it that much more difficult to eliminate temptation because you no longer shop only for yourself. Luckily, my boyfriend will eat whatever I cook him for dinner since he knows if he doesn't, then he'll go hungry for the night since he doesn't cook anything more complex than a frozen pizza When he does have some sort of junk food (like the leftover Halloween candy we had and then the 3 bags of candy we bought after Halloween on clearance ), he does as I ask and takes it to work so I will not be tempted. He has 9 hours each day to eat whatever he wants at work, but here in our home, junk is a no no. It's not healthy for ANYONE, regardless of weight, so I don't plan on feeding my kids junk when I eventually have them either. I do wish my boyfriend would stop eating junk, but at least hehas control and can have just a couple pieces of candy at a time, unlike me who eats the whole bag at once

Anyway, just another hurdle we have to fight to get over, but there ARE ways to get over them all, and we'll all figure out those ways together!
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 09:50 AM   #11  
Losing To Live

S/C/G: 289/266/140

Height: 5'5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeleagle1965 View Post
I stay at home with my kids, but unfortunately that means I also stay home with my FRIDGE. I have always had issues with food, which I have been able to keep in check for most of my adult life with the exception of pregnancy. But the boredom factor at home makes it way more difficult. Especially having to constantly feed other people food that I should not have. No way my hubby is gonna give up little debbies for salad, so I'm forever staring at chocolate in the pantry. Not helpful.
My DF is notorious for snacking. On some of the most unhealthy things, too. I went through my entire pantry, all my cupboards, and the freezer. I moved all the junk to 1 cupboard (above the fridge where I need a step ladder to get to it), and I took all the frozen junk and put it in the deep freeze. I don't often go rooting through the deep freeze often, and now when I open my pantry, I'm not constantly being stared in the face. And it talks. We all know the junk talks to us! This way it doesn't, haha. Anyway, I just wanted to share that because I wasn't doing too well until I moved it all.
martiniforme is offline   Reply With Quote