Old 11-06-2006, 11:44 AM   #1  
FOCUS FOCUS!!

S/C/G: 130/126/110

Height: 5'4"

Default What's wrong w/ me?

Lately I've been feeling cold when I work out. I've been ignoring it but today I noticed that my hands were FREEZING when we were indoors doing circuit training. I thought it was poor circulation but isn't exercise supposed to increase blood flow? When I got on the elliptical, I pushed myself really hard so I warmed up and sweat a lot, but before when I just went a decent speed I still sweat but it was like a cold sweat, if that makes any sense? I always eat before I work out to make sure I'm not low on fuel. What's wrong with me?
UWPiPhiAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 12:43 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

I guess by your user name that you're a Pi Phi. Me, too, but a lot older! LOL.

Anyway, I get cold when I'm dieting, too. My DH looks at me like I'm crazy when I have to have a blanket while watching TV in the evenings. Some people think it is due to the fat we've lost (less insulation). Even weirder, I get a lot colder when I don't drink my daily glass or two of wine. I've seen this discussed in other forums as well, and I don't remember seeing a true cause--just a lot of speculation as to cause. In any case, no one seems to think it is a problem--just some weird phenomenon.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 03:32 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 176/143/138

Height: 5'7

I have noticed from your previous posts that even though you may eat before a workout you don't appear to eat much the rest of the time.

Your body needs constant and steady "fueling"...not just before you use it

Fat loss is another reason you could be feeling cold. When I dropped 60 pounds I certainly felt the cold a **** of a lot more. Having said that I was drastically underweight at that time (i'd pushed myself too hard and hadn't been eating enough...healthy yes, but not enough) and being cold was one symptom my body was well...unhappy with me! (The hair loss, dry flaky skin, lethargy and protruding bones were kind of all another wake up)

Your body will try and conserve energy if it thinks your not feeding it enough so it would make sense that yout body will pull the heat from your extremities to protect your organs (your core) - hence the feeling of being cold as the blood flow decreases to your fingers and toes

Livi
Lyria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 02:23 AM   #4  
FOCUS FOCUS!!

alinnell - Yup, I'm a Pi Phi, although it doesn't mean much now that I've graduated.

Lyria - Are you maintaining now? How many calories do you consume before you stop feeling cold, or am I going to be stuck feeling cold even when I'm done losing?

I ate a lot last week because of TOM so I don't think my body is starving. I'm going to try calorie cycling like 1200 calories for two weeks then 1600 calories for one week to see if it helps trick my body into burning more.
Old 11-08-2006, 03:26 AM   #5  

I'm losing just a wee bit at the moment - I gained a few "comfort kilos" when I met my current boyfriend lol.

I am eating about 1400-1600 calories a day (sometimes more like today which was closer to 1800) and I am losing about 1 - 2 pounds a week. I have dropped from 63kgs (138pds) to 59.5 (131pds) in about a month. I run 4 or 5 days a week and walk on all of them.

Regarding feeling cold - that is not so much a matter of how much you're eating as how much body fat you have on you. Females shouldn't drop below about 19-18 BMI as we need a higher level of body fat then men.

My BMI at the moment is 21, when I was freezing all the time it was 17.5 - at that point I would wear 5 layers of clothing and still be shivering. I consider my "ideal weight" to be in the range of 58-61kgs (127-134 pounds)

When maintaining I consume 1800-2000 calories

Livi
Old 11-08-2006, 09:46 AM   #6  
FOCUS FOCUS!!

Today was kind of strange. I sweat like crazy, especially during circuit training! I know I didn't eat enough so tomorrow I will try to do better, but I'm afraid of being lenient with the calories in case I lose control.

I've totally done the "comfort eating" before as well. It's very dangerous! LOL

My body fat is around 30% so I should be pretty well insulated...

Something I noticed about myself today: I'm finally over my cravings. Last week, I walked into a couple bread/cake shops on my way to the post office. Everything looked soooo good and I was thinking about what I could allow myself to eat, but I ended up walking out without buying anything even though I was super tempted. Today, a friend of mine wanted me to go to one of those shops with her. Everything still looked good, but I wasn't tempted to buy anything anymore.

Also, whenever I feel like I have no energy left to exercise, if I push myself to do another hour on the elliptical it totally revives me! I don't know if it's because the rest of my camp mates are next to me doing the same thing so it motivates me, but I actually feel more energized and less hungry as I push myself harder. Isn't that weird?
Old 11-09-2006, 01:19 AM   #7  

No, exercise is an appetite suppressant...you still need to eat