Old 10-25-2006, 09:36 PM   #1  
Workin' My *** Off!

Height: 5'1"

Default Battle With Breakfast!

Ok, I've never been a breakfast person... I can't stand to eat when I wake up it litterally makes me sick. I've been trying to eat cereal or something this week, and I feel lousy afterwards.

I know that it's the "most important meal of the day"....is it crucial or is there something else I could do or take instead of cereal and "normal breakfast foods"?? All suggestions welcome!
Canadian_Mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 09:41 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Ah normal breakfast foods! Is normal in the eye of the beholder? I think so. lately I've been having psyllium in cranberry juice and then later a protein shake.

I snitched this from a post of Mel's

Breakfasts: Fruit Oatmeal-Eggwhite Pancake (there are lots of different recipes all over the forum).

My version of the Protein-Fruit Pancake:

4 egg whites
1/4 c. oatmeal flakes
1/4 c. fiber one cereal
1/3 c. cottage cheese
vanilla, cinnamon

Wing it around in a blender until batterish, then pour into a preheated non-stick sprayed skillet. I sprinkle about 1/2 diced apple or the equivalent other fruit on it while it is cooking. Cook 5 minutes at medium temp, flip, cook. Sometimes I add 1/2 c. pumpkin puree to the blender and about 2 tbs. water and pumpkin pie spices. SF syrup if you aren't adverse to artificial sweeteners.

Fruits that work well cooked in: peaches, apples, pears, pitted cherries (frozen), blueberries.

Fruits that are better sliced on top after cooking: mandarin oranges, strawberries, bananas, melon....

Oatmeal and Cottage Cheese

1/2 c. oatmeal dry nuked in LARGE bowl with 1 cup water.
add lots of cinnamon, 1/2 c. cottage cheese, sprinkle of blueberries and some sugar free syrup.

Egg White Omelette
5 egg whites, lots of vegies (or 1 whole egg and 3 whites)
1 slice whole wheat toast or 1/2 whole grain English muffin

Cottage Cheese, yogurt and Cereal
1/2c. cottage cheese
1/2 c. kashi Go Lean or Fiber 1
1/2 c. nonfat plain yogurt or non-fat sugar free yogurt
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 09:50 PM   #3  
I'm doing it!!!

S/C/G: 200/193/140

Height: 66.5

I think that if you start with something super small but still healthy, such as a glass of 100% juice or low/non fat milk that may help. Or wait an hour after you wake up. Ease yourself into it and it'll be easier. That is what I did and now an hour and a half after waking my tummy growls. :-)
i2kandoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 09:51 PM   #4  
I AM healthy!

S/C/G: 270/196.2/135

Height: 5'4

Quote:
Ok, I've never been a breakfast person... I can't stand to eat when I wake up it litterally makes me sick.
I hear ya on thios one! I could care less about actual food for breakfast. This is what I do, I actually eat nothing but fruit for breakfast! This is due to having read that your body needs to detox in the a.m. and it can best do that by having fruit and water til noon. (that is just what i have heard and it suits me fine!)

Anyhow so I wind up usually making a smoothie! It is a great way to start your day and doesn't weigh you down. I usually have a banana, an apple, half a grapefruit, and an orange. I throw a few ice cubes in and blend them up!

Sometimes I will have blueberry's or strawberries in it too. Give it a try!!
Jasmine31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 09:52 PM   #5  
fat fighter

Height: 173cm

i was the same just a year ago. my breakfast was a coffee and a cigarette on my way to work in the car. i stopped having breakfast once i hit high school (i preferred to sleep in ) and would not eat until i got home.

a few months ago i was still having trouble eating when i first woke up so i waited about 2 hrs (until 9.30am) when I was at work and started to feel hungry. i then toasted myself a wholegrain english muffin and had cottage cheese or vegemite on it.

here are some of my breakfasts at the moment for weekdays. i don't really have time to cook in the mornings at the moment so they are all quick meals. i am still experimenting but am also trying to get up earlier to make some other things instead.
  • hard boiled egg (maybe an additional egg white), slice of wholegrain toast with vegemite or jam.
  • porridge (oatmeal) with dried fruit and honey
  • greek yogurt with fruit compote

on the weekend we have a cooked breakfast on the sunday usually which is scrambled eggs, lean bacon (oven baked) and wholegrain toast with juice and coffee.
Daisy Boo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 09:57 PM   #6  
Working to be an after!

S/C/G: 269/151.6/149

Height: 5'2''

I also can't stand to eat in the mornings, but I do find that I eat less throughout the day if I can get something in my stomache first thing in the morning. I tried all sorts of cereals, oatmeals, and even plain toast, but everything made me feel sick. For me, Carnation Instant Breakfast works well. I get calories and protein without having to eat a big amount. I know for some the carbs make them hungrier faster, but it works for me. Try different things and see what works for you.
crazynette826 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 10:42 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 300/180/135

Height: 5'3"

This is just my personal opinion I don't think it matters what you eat just as long as you eat something to get your metabolism going. I was fortunate do some traveling a few years ago and I have seen just about everything in hotel breakfast buffets including the standard fruit, muffins, pancakes, yourget, oatmeal eggs, breakfast meat, and cereal and some things that spaghetti, baked beans, stewed mushrooms, stewed tomatoes. I have always been a fan of cold leftovers for breakfast (pizza, Chinese, chicken).
RememberHowToSmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 10:44 PM   #8  
Once more, with feeling!

S/C/G: 235/ticker/135

Height: 5'4

Quote:
I can't stand to eat when I wake up it litterally makes me sick.
Is there anything in particular that makes you feel icky? For me, I can't handle milk or yogurt first thing in the morning. I must be slightly lactose intolerant, because I feel gross and queasy for the rest of the day.

And poo on normal breakfast foods. I like a proteiny breakfast so it will stay with me for a while, but sometimes it ends up being a little of lastnights dinner leftovers. I say have whatever (healthy thing) your tastebuds want and your stomach will handle.
KnitALisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 11:03 PM   #9  
Workin' My *** Off!

Height: 5'1"

I'm not a fan of toast, pancakes, cereal....bacon and eggs, they just do not appeal to me at all! I find that no matter when I eat these things that I feel sick afterwards, and it ruins the rest of my day. I've never, since I was like 4 yrs old, I've never been able to eat breakfast foods. They seem so bland and boring to me. Oatmeal is the worst!!! At my grandparents when I visit, they give me oatmeal, and I litterally have to choke it down because my stomach just can't handle it. I've tried applesauce cups and fruit cups, and nothing seems to "settle" in my stomach. I have tried waiting an hour or two and those foods still make me feel ill... Maybe I'm just odd!!! LOL!

Thanks for the ideas of leftovers and such, I might try protein shakes or Carnation Instant Breakfasts or something along those lines....
Canadian_Mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 09:48 AM   #10  
It's working this time!

S/C/G: 235/212/175

Height: 5' 1.5"

Why not have a turkey sandwich, or some low fat peanut butter on a bagel, or something like that?

I love breakfast foods, but I acutually prefer them for dinner.

Oh, but I hate oatmeal too. Makes me gag. I had to eat it every Sunday morning when I was growing up. And I gagged the whole time. My dad still thinks it was all a put on, but it sure wasn't.

Tisha___ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 09:55 AM   #11  
Kevin

S/C/G: 310/229/200

Height: 6'

I think peanut butter on a slice of low cal bread is a great breakfast. Lots of protein and tastes yummy. The bread I buy is only 35 calories per slice, so with PB it comes out to about 135 calories.
Kevin100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 09:55 AM   #12  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemeberHowToSmile View Post
This is just my personal opinion I don't think it matters what you eat just as long as you eat something to get your metabolism going.
That's more than an opinion, honey--it's a fact. Your body doesn't care if you have eggs and toast, a piece of fruit, barbecue ribs and mashed potatoes, a glass of milk, or even a candy bar for breakfast--anything with calories to get your metabolic motor runnin'! (Note: I am not suggesting a candy bar--just trying to make a point )

Of course, some foods will provide you better energy to start your day than others, but that's a very personal thing, as some people feel sluggish when having carbs for breakfast, some people feel sick with too much protein because it feels too heavy for so early. Personally, I need way more than just fruit because when I eat fruit, I'm hungry again 10 minutes later But yeah, whatever you can handle is fine--anything to make your body realize it's time to wake up and start burning for the day!
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 10:19 AM   #13  

MY mom fought with me for years to eat breakfast ( I was a skinny teen) but she finally started lettting me have veggie soup and other non breakfast food and I loved it!!
carolr3639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 10:32 AM   #14  
I can do anything!

S/C/G: 267/Ticker/150 & BAMF

Height: 5'9.5"

I have trouble with breakfast too... Sometimes I just have Coffee and a WW english muffin.. sometimes I have an orange... sometimes I have leftovers from the night before! Jillybean's right! It doesn't matter WHAT you have as long as it's Something! Today I let my coffee go cold and blended it with ice, protein powder, and milk powder in the blender LOL. I've been craving a chocolate shake and it *almost* hit the spot .
ValRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 10:35 AM   #15  
Taking It Off For Good!!!

S/C/G: 164/149/130

Low fat cheese on toast. I love it.
I also will make a PB&J. I also will do Kashi bars with some yogurt or a piece of fruit.

Eat whatever makes you happy for breakfast!
Slimming Down is offline   Reply With Quote