Old 09-22-2006, 05:29 PM   #1  

Question Working and dieting

Okay I'm 24 and finally done with school.. I went to undergrad and then straight to graduate and now.. I have a real, permanent job. Stupid question, but I just need some help since I've never really had to go to a job 5x a week for an indefinite amount of time before... but, how do you integrate dieting (or just eating healthy) and exercising into your day? I really don't think I can do it before work, but do you go straight to the gym afterwards? I feel like I would be too tired... How do you motivate yourself and get you butts to the gym or whatever exercise you do after a long day's work? I know that I have to exercise, I feel so much better when I do, but with school, it was a bit easier.. since it's usually not an all day 5x a week thing. I would appreciate any advice! Thank you for reading this and hope you are all having a great day healthwise and lifewise
DaisyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 06:06 PM   #2  

Default RE: Working and dieting

it's really hard. i used to just go to school and work part-time, not sitting in one spot for 8 hours, it's much easier to stay involved and watch what you're eating and stay active when you dont have a commitment like work. but you have to do what you have to do. i'm finally structured with my days and found that exercising with a friend (that has a exercise routine down) keeps me motivated, also the negitive change in my body actually got me into gear, but dont let yourself get that far behind. it looks like you only have 3 more lbs to your goal! that's great! remember that if you want something badly you'll continue to stay ontop of yourself not to fall back. it's all about self-control when working full-time.
gottaloose4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 10:21 PM   #3  
Resident Witchling

S/C/G: 198/190/140

Height: 5'7"

Well, there are lots of people out there who discuss the subject. There are mini-exercises you can do at your desk, or you can take your lunch break and walk outside. I'm pretty sure Leslie Sansone has a "Walking at Work" DVD, though I could be wrong.

For food, keep HEALTHY snacks at your desk. Like a few pieces of fruit in a small bowl on your desk, a tin of almonds or cashews inside your desk drawer, some energy bars stashed somewhere. Be creative!

As far as main workouts go...you pretty much get two choices. You either start getting up way early to work out before work, or you go to the gym after work. You can usually go straight there, since most gyms have a locker room or at least somewhere to change. Just keep a gym bag in your car and swap it out for your purse after work.
Nikaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 10:28 PM   #4  
(Male)

Height: 5'9.5"

I have regular times that I exercise. For example, I play wallyball a couple times a week in the evenings, and I always lift weights beforehand. I go straight from work. Also, I've found a few kinds of snacks that are healthy that I eat pretty much every day, and I know how many calories I can have at lunch and approximately which foods contain the right amount for me.
Jman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 12:41 PM   #5  
back at it

S/C/G: 178/175/145

Height: 5'8"

i go for walks or jogs only a couple (1-3) mornings before work,so i can sleep in later some days and not get tired, then I also go to dance and yoga classes in the evenings of other nights. I found when you are signed up for something fun, its easier to get your butt there after work than just going to sit on a machine by yourself.
denice81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 06:32 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 176/143/138

Height: 5'7

I go for a run usually 4 or 5 times a week after work...even when I'd get home at 6:30 and it was pitch black and about 1 degree celcius outside i'd strap the shoes on and go lol. It is actually quite invigorating running in the cold!

I'd also take the stairs instead of the lift (we were on the 8th floor)...my backside and legs never looked so good lol.

I recently just go a new job though which is so close to home that I'll be able to walk to work and back every day as well as keep running. I'm really excited by that prospect! Its a little over 3 kms in (about 2 miles) so that'll be an extra 4 miles walking a day.

As for food I fell into a routine of breakfast at 6:30am, snack at 10:30am lunch at 12:30-1pm, snack at 3:30pm and then dinner anytime from 6:30pm to 8:30pm depending on what time i got home from work/got back from running.

For me dieting/maintaining and work is a matter of routine and discipline...it becomes second nature after awhile.

Livi
Lyria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 03:01 AM   #7  

Thank you everyone for your advice. I really wanted to get into some kind of routine before work started but then I went on Vacation and it all went to ****. I guess I'll just have to see how my work schedule will be like and try to form some sort of routine from it. I was actually thinking about taking Krav Maga classes (self defense classes) as a fun thing to do after work that would be a great exercise AND a pretty pratical thing to learn.

The other issue is that I live in NJ and I commute into NYC to work, so maybe I can join a gym in the city that I can go to straight after work.

Being an adult is difficult !! Again, thank you for your help and feel free to send any other advice my way.

Livi, good luck with your new job!
Old 09-24-2006, 03:44 PM   #8  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

I think falling into a routine is key. I am with you--there is NOW WAY I can get up earlier to exefcise in the morning before work, even though I would like to. As it is, I get up by 5am and am showered, have my lunch packed, eat breakfast, and am out the door by about 6:30. I no longer have a gym membership, but when I did, I had to go to the gym right after work--otherwise, if I went home first, I would make up a million and one excuses to NOT go back out to the gym

Currently, I have breakfast before I leave in the morning (around 6am), then lunch about 11:30 (since I have lunch at least 5 hours after breakfast, I try to make sure breakfast is primarily protein--eggs, turkey sausage, etc.), a snack after work around 3:30pm, and dinner somewhere around 6pm. I also exercise (ha, when I actually DO it ) after work, but like I said, no more gym membership, so I just go out walking around my block (although I'm waiting for some Tae Bo and Leslie Sansone DVDs to come in our Netflix!).
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 12:24 AM   #9  

Hi Everyone,
Okay so working for almost a full week now (not counting my time in training)... and it is hard to fall into a routine.. I have exercised a total of ZERO times this week. Help! I think as soon as I get my first pay check (which includes sign on bonus.. yay cos I'm really broke), I will sign up for some sort of weekly exercise class so I exercise AT LEAST once a week and build from there. This real life stuff.. it's tough. Oh well.

Hope you are all having a fabulous week!!!
Old 09-28-2006, 12:56 PM   #10  
Goodbye Fat!

Routine is key. Start something and keep it up for at least two weeks and then it should be habit. I used to never be a morning person, but now I am up everyday at 5am and at the gym by 510am. I find when I don't workout in the morning the computer screen becomes blurry and I get very sleepy around 2pm.
dollypie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 01:04 PM   #11  
hara hachi bu

What works for me right now is to 'sneak in' exercise. I park a few blocks away from work when I drive, and I go for walks on my lunch break. I sometimes take a bus to work, and I get off the bus a few stops early and get a walk in that way. I walk or bike to do errands from home.

It all depends on where you're at, too. There have been times in my life when I would come home from work and exercise, often right before I went to bed. There have been other times where I'd do a shorter workout video before work. I'm not that motivated right now, but I'd like to eventually get back to being a morning exerciser. It's a great feeling to know that you got it out of the way first thing every day.
phantastica is offline   Reply With Quote