Old 09-20-2006, 11:25 AM   #1  
Goodbye Fat!

Default The Biggest Loser

So the premiere of the The Biggest Loser is coming on tonight. What are everyones opinions about the show? I like to watch the show for the motivation, but I have some issues with it. First it seems very unhealthy that they lose so much weight in so little time by excercising many hours a day and drastically cutting calories that low. The results that people have are amazing and very inspiring, but how many of them actually keep the weight off longterm, say 5 years from when they first lost the weight. Anyway just wanted to get others opinions.
dollypie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 12:35 PM   #2  
back at it

S/C/G: 178/175/145

Height: 5'8"

great question, dollypie, I wonder what happened with those first season contestants, anyone know? I have only seen the show a couple of times, but the first time I saw it, I was really inspired, so if it does that same thing for other average overweight people, I think its a great show!
denice81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 01:22 PM   #3  
No More Excuses!

S/C/G: 240/225/165

Height: 5'6"

I love that show. I cant wait to watch it again tonight. For me its an inspiration to get off my butt.. ANd yeah they do loose alot the first 2 weeks or whatever it is, but i think thats just for dramatic effect you know? They are told the good and bad things to eat and such and arnt always doing hours a day of hardcore exercise lol. I cant wait to start watching it again. I see people on there and im like, if THEY can all do it, I can do it.. :-)
Marineswife85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 01:42 PM   #4  

i love the show!!!!
but, you notice how they only showed andrea from the first season. did everyone else gain it back.if the stayed trim you would think they would have highlights of all the cast
flabbychic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 02:02 PM   #5  
rai

S/C/G: 193/178/140? -->size 6 or 8

Height: 5'7

Nah, one season they brought back everyone from the 1st show. I think all but 2 people kept the weight off.
rai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 04:28 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 316.5/see ticker/180

Height: 5'9"

I love the show as well can't wait to watch it tonight. Oh how nice to lose that much weight at first but I know it's not something most do.
keeperofthehome4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 04:56 PM   #7  

You know what else bothers me. Caroline Ray or however you spell her name hots the show. I mean she's a sweet and funny woman, but you would think a host for a show like that would be I don't know maybe more in shape? I don't mean this at all offendingly... obviously she is a lot more in shape than their contestants start out, but is she taking any of the trainers advice?
CookieMonster416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 01:49 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 225/225/150

Its funny you mention that CookineMonster! I always think that, and I was actually watching her in some interview, maybe Leno or O'brien and she said that people come up to her constantly and are just going "Hmm... So... Why haven't you lost weight?" and she of course made some funny little joke about it, but I wonder why she hasn't? Hmm interesting...

Yeah, its typically the first week or so when the loss is so dramatic, and I think its because its a total overhaul of your lifestyle... Could you imagine in one day you're getting in 2 hours of cardio, and an hour of strength training, in a new environment, away from loved ones with NO CONTACT, and cutting all your favorites out of your diet?! Even skipping juice and soda for a week can make some changes, these people are giving up fried foods, diary, sugars, etc... Its amazingly drastic, but I think its partly entertainment..

What they don't show are the hunger pains these people must be going through especially at first, just having them talking about going to bed starving, waking up starving, those are the hardest parts of dieting, those friggin' cravings and growling stomach in the first couple days
Dreamer85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 05:36 AM   #9  
Bida Bida Bida

Height: 5'6''

ok - so I thought it was funny that tonight Biggest Loser premeired along side America's next top Model (one of my fav reality shows) - and this time there were no plus size models. It was sticks on one channel - chunks on another.

Anyway - I wasn't really into BL - the people that are on the show - and I'm sorry for saying this - but I don't know anyone that is that large. I mean - realistically - yes these people need help - but there is no one for me to grasp ahold of and like identify with - of course that is just me.

What kills me - is of course they will pick bigger people - because the bigger you are - the more dramatic your weight loss is at the beginning - I remember people getting kicked off on the first season because their body of course couldn't lose like 10 pounds in one week - no matter how hard they worked - because their BMI was so much lower than the other persons. And all the women are like 230+ and all the men are 300+ even topping the 400 scale. It is crazy! (will it be worse for me if they get to the 180s )

I mean - I like the contest atmosphere of it - but it also kind of makes me very sad.

Anyhow that is my two cents. Hope the rest of you enjoyed it more than me. (Oh and I must admit, I did not watch the whole thing - only bits and pieces between ANTM - but I felt like I saw enough to not wet my appetite for any more.

ok - back to work.

B
bida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 06:42 AM   #10  
Maintainer

S/C/G: 216/116/125 100 Lbs Lost!

Height: 5' 1" Tall

I loved the show last night. Was amazing. I can't believe how much Jen lost after she got voted off. WOW!!!
Libby1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 11:32 AM   #11  

my favorite part is the end of the show to see the people that were voted off!!!! i love that the motivation stayed even after they left the ranch.

corlyn rae- hey shes the host not a contestant!!!!! shes average not overweight looking to me. although this season she looks like she has put on weight alittle or it could be her horrible outfits
flabbychic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 01:17 PM   #12  
No More Excuses!

S/C/G: 240/225/165

Height: 5'6"

I personally love watching the show.. And I cant believe how much weight Jen lost after leaving! 58lbs, wow. I dunno.. I think the show is good motivation for me because i am bigger.. Im 217, and was up at about 240 after having my son.. So seeing people around my size shows me that other people can do it, other people are in my shoes.. If they can do it, so can I.
Marineswife85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 06:34 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 225/225/150

I think its a great show, because those people do it without surgery. The show is taped over a long period of time, we just get the snippets. But I think its showing that you don't have to get extreme surgery to battle your bulge
Dreamer85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 07:49 PM   #14  
Resident Witchling

S/C/G: 198/190/140

Height: 5'7"

I guess it has its good points - like, it highlights that there isn't an "easy" fix, like you said Dreamer, it's not surgery or anything (pardon me, I don't mean to imply that surgery is the easy fix, but some people look at it like a magic shot) - but I really dislike it.

I mean, who actually DOES stuff like that in real life? Cutting out ALL that stuff all at once, working out six hours a day or something ridiculous like that. And the competitive atmosphere I think is horrible. Why put your body under so much stress that it's (in my opinion) unhealthy, as some kind of gruesome spectator sport? It's just sick, and in my opinion, just one more symptom of how far our culture has degenerated. "Reality TV" is an oxymoron.

End rant.
Nikaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 10:08 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 283/253/190

I totally missed it! Darnnit! I do like the show & envy the people the opportunity to focus only on their weightloss - what an advantage. Imagine being able to just focus on that goal & have all those resources at your fingers - I think it would be the perfect way to succeed - obviously maintenance is something different altogether...
Lifeguard is offline   Reply With Quote