Old 07-16-2006, 12:57 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 136/136/120

Height: 5'0

Default Sugar cravings

I keep trying to cut refined sugar out. I've stopped using it in my tea but it seems I have to have 2-3 teaspoons in my coffee every morning. Well, not really have to have it, but when I try to go without it, I get headaches and I get cranky. Anyone else get this? I've tried using sugar substitutes but they just don't work. I know its probably just that I need to stick it out, drinking my coffee with non fat milk and no sweetner and just deal with it and the cravings will eventually quit. I hate being cranky though, ugh. Anyone had to deal with this? How long before you kicked the sugar habit? If I know how long before my body adjusts, maybe it won't be so bad...
Feisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 05:05 AM   #2  
Bida Bida Bida

Height: 5'6''

I pretty much kicked it - but a bit more than that - I cut out caffein too - and most sugar substitutes (meaning diet coke, but not light and fit dannon yogurt) - I think I had headaches for about 3 or 4 days - but I notice that i reallly don't have so much of a sweet tooth any more except for fruit. And though I broke a bit for the first time in 3.5 weeks because I was at a party (I had a little slice of cake) I am fine. Actually I noticed that I was eating this cereal that probably had too much sugar in it for me (after 3 weeks when I bought it) - and it actually made me want to eat more throughout the day. So though I love it (raison bran crunch) I think I'm gonna have to through the rest of it away

pack some advil!
bida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 05:05 AM   #3  
Bida Bida Bida

Height: 5'6''

oh or try honey? supposed to be a bit better then refined sugar
bida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 11:31 AM   #4  

it only takes 3 days to get over the headachy, gimmee sugar feeling. have you tried splenda in your coffee? i hated swwet n low and equal, but splenda is fine. also some of the davinci sugar free flavored syrups might help.......nstead of having coffee, turn it into mocha latte or whatever. i like mine w/ the sugar free amaretto syrup and a little milk. you'd never guess there was no sugar in it.
good luck to you.
silversun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 11:59 AM   #5  
future triathlete

S/C/G: 187.5/148.5/129

Height: 5'2"

I was completely addicted to sugar at the beginning of all this (not in my coffee, but on just about everything else!). I found that if I ate a piece of fruit - usually an apple - when I had sugar cravings, it was actually pretty easy to kick my sugar habit. I cut out refined carbs at the same time, 'cause I know the two are related craving-wise, and that way I didn't have to go through getting myself off a food twice. Good luck!
sierra_ttw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 04:52 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 136/136/120

Height: 5'0

Hmm, well 3-4 days isn't so bad. I gave up trying to cut it out on the 3rd day, I knew I should have stuck it out. I don't ever drink soda anyway, so that wasn't an issue, and I found that unsweet tea is good if I use fruity flavored teas instead because they taste so good without sugar. I did try Splenda and it just wasn't for me although I know some people swear by it. The sugar free syrups, now thats an idea I hadn't thought of. I'll have to pick some up next time I'm at the grocery store, I know I've seen it. Thanks for everyone's suggestions!
Feisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 07:35 PM   #7  

I find that after a few days the worst of it is over and a piece of fruit or something will suffice for a sugar craving. But I've also noticed that the second I eat something junky the cravings and bingey tendencies are back in full force!
Flying Betty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 03:35 PM   #8  
ZenLizzie

S/C/G: 250/250/150

Height: 5'4

I've found that my sugar cravings go away almost immediately when I keep refined sugar out of my diet. The effects of eating ANYTHING, even one piece of candy, with high fructose corn syrup hit me right away. It was one of my most exciting discoveries at work. Ok, I'm a nerd, but I realized that I was ravenous when I'd have candy at work but fine if I didn't. I've even got the men in my life paying attention to their sugar and they agree.

So... I agree that after a few more days you should be feeling fine, but also keep an eye out for the kinds of sweeteners/sugars in all your foods to see if any of those are triggering your sugar cravings.
WastedThermos is offline   Reply With Quote