Old 06-27-2006, 02:46 PM   #1  
Living the Laguna life...

Default Should I join Weight Watcher?

Hi guys --
I know there is a Weight Watchers thread on 3FC, but I value your opinion as well
I have only 6 pounds to go before I reach my initial goal, but I am really struggling at reaching it...in the past 3 months I haven't lose any weight. My best friend lost 20 pounds on Weight Watchers last year, and I really liked the whole counting points system thing...right now I count calories, so it's really not that different. What would be different, though, is going to meetings and being accountable at the weigh in. My concern is that I am already a normal weight and I feel like when I walk into a meeting, people are going to be like "why is the size 8 girl here?" Should I join WW, or is my goal too close to really justify joining? I am thinking after I reach my goal of 138, I would like to lose 8 or 10 more pounds, depending on how I feel. Thanks for the advice
miss michelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 03:01 PM   #2  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

I can't give you advice on weight watchers as I have never participated in the program, but I have never understood diet programs (disclaimer: that's just me).

But I DO know that in any kind of program you will probably find women of all shapes and sizes and weights with plenty of varied goals. On the other hand, you have this weight loss thing kind of down pat (47 pounds- yay!) and may find no use for the information. Again, I've never been part of a group program so I don't know.

I've noticed when you hit that "normal" category and are thisclose to your goal, your priorities and wants may change. I originally started with a goal of 130, but I've been maintaining slightly above that (which I'm more than happy about), but would also like to slowly work my way down to 125- a healthy and toned 125. Confusing, huh? I know that for me, while my lifestyle changes need to stick, my focus isn't necessarily losing a lot of weight anymore and (again I don't know), but you may not find that specific support in WW.

How's that for a long and no good answer I definitely see how WW has helped people lose a ton of weight, but I think they would've been more use to me at 210+ than 134.

But Oh. My. God. Could these last few pounds be more obnoxious???
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 03:17 PM   #3  

I lost my first 20 lbs on WW two years ago. It taught me a lot about portion sizes and various other things that someone as far along in dieting as you would find old information. As a new dieter, it was very very helpful.

If what you're looking for is accountability and group weigh-ins, I think it's a lot to pay just for that. Doesn't TOPS do a similar thing, group support and weigh-ins, for a lower price? I haven't done TOPS, just heard about it here.

WW is just modified calorie counting, from what I understand, with more emphasis on low-fat food. I got tired of the low-fat lifestyle; too many lf foods have sugar substituted in for taste, and sugar's not good for you either... Plus some things like dairy has good fat, so while if you eat ff you won't use up your points, you're missing out on the benefits of a lf dairy product. I started eating ALL ff foods to keep my points low... And then I started feeling awful! As soon as I added some fats (avocado, olive oil, lf dairy) back, I felt instantly better. That's when I stopped doing WW.

If you're looking for a jumpstart, maybe WW will work for you. It'll be a new way of looking at dieting, which might be what you need. But definitely don't worry about being 140 and going in there! I've seen all sorts of 'skinny' people at WW meetings, and no one holds it against them. They're inspiration for the rest of us
britomart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 05:27 PM   #4  
Co-Mod

S/C/G: 272/129/127

Ya know what Michelle, I think about this as well. No matter how much success I have had on my own (104 and counting!) I still think that maybe now is the time to start seeing a nutritionist (which I had done in the past several times but to no avail). I totally understand what you are going through. Even though 46lbs is a lot, it is still relatively close to my goal (which actually is 136-122 but I aim for the lowest) and the closer I get the slower the losing is and the more I think that maybe I need that little extra help, even though I know a bit about nutrition and counting my calories and whatnot.
I don't know how to advise you, I just wanted you to know that I am considering the same deal as you right now.
shrinkingchica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 09:23 PM   #5  
fat fighter

Height: 173cm

i just joined up with WW last week. i haven't done WW before and am doing the online version so no meetings for me.

now the australian WW says that to sign up, you must be at least 5 kg above their minimum weight for your height to sign up according to their Healthy Weight Range chart. so i am assuming that the US WW is the same so that may be worth checking first.

what do you think is stalling your weight loss? is it the fact that you don't have ultimate accountability and therefore cheat a little on your diet or have you simply plateaued and need a boost?

there may be other things that you could do like hiring a personal trainer for a change in exercise (which will give your body a wake up call). or how about hooking up with your friend on WW and see if you can get the information to do the program for a week without going through WW and see what you think?

don't quote me, but i think that you can access the community boards on WW without being a member on the US version. You might like to try and see some of the posts on there from people that are posting day to day trials about WW. i can't check as each time i enter the path it takes me back to the AUST page.
Daisy Boo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 10:44 PM   #6  
...future runner...

S/C/G: 215/193.6/135

If your considering it, try the online verson first, they have a deal like $25.00 for 3 months or something.
rosiek2277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 11:51 PM   #7  
here I go again...

I don't know about your area, but when I went to WW here, it was mostly older women and I didn't really get much out of it. I agree with the others that said maybe you should try it online first. I think I would actually prefer to meet with someone one on one instead of the group setting, that way you can get advice/information tailored to where YOU are at, not a group of people at various stages in their weight loss.
illinichick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 12:17 PM   #8  
Melting Butter

I've lost all the weight on WW...this is my first time trying to lose weight and I have been successful. I never paid for anything because I just learned it all from my mom...I've never been to a meeting or anything. But it was and still is very helpful to me. It's really changed my thoughts on eating responsibly and making better lifestyle choices. In addition it's something I can stick to for life and it doesn't restrict me from eating the things I love.
healthyme05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 06:44 PM   #9  

Height: 5'3

I've been on WW since March and I love it. I do it online because I am living in Germany temporarily..But I think it is a very good program because it doesn't restrict you from anything and it is very flexible if you do Flex Pts. I think there would be men and women of all sizes at the meetings but have never been to a meeting. I use to scoff at the idea of doing WW but I decided to give it a try and I am so glad I have!
gremlina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 07:54 AM   #10  
Winning by Losing

S/C/G: 263/208/150

Height: 5'8"

I'm kinda a semi-lurker on this particular board, but I thought I might comment. First of all congrats on your remarkable progress! You have done superbly all on your own. Perhaps WW may not be the best choice for you, but I wouldn't know first hand since I've never done WW. A nutritionist doesn't sound like a bad idea. If you are looking to just lose those last 10 or so lbs tho perhaps you may be interested in what I'm doing. You may or may not be though, so I'm not going to assume anything. It was just a thought, and it may very well get you to your goal, and the price is very reasonable. I happen to love the program, and it's something most people can do whether they need to lose weight or not.

If you are interested in learning more about what I'm doing and why I think it may work well for you, feel free to PM me or even IM me on Yahoo and we can chat.

Good luck to you no matter what you decide to you. You have done so well so far, and that's absolutely wonderful! Congrats to you. I'm a sure you will reach your goal!
karistiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 02:10 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 184/183/140

Height: 5'3"

First off- congratulations on all the weight you've lost so far! I am about where you started off, so you're a big motivation.

Of course you should do what feels right to you, but I was on WW for a big (online) and I didn't really like it....I was STARVING. Some will say that means I didn't do it right, but it didn't work for me...I became obsessed with points. If you're so close to your goal just step everything up a bit- 2 more vegetables and 15 more minutes of exercise....that should do it. You've done a great job!!
brooke26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 06:15 PM   #12  
Living the Laguna life...

Hi guys!
I just got back from a week of vacation (at a lake in California, very fun) and I'm still thinking about the Weight Watchers thing. For now, I am going to try to make some lifestyle changes that will hopefully help me lose the last 10 pounds. Thanks for all the input!!
miss michelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 05:27 PM   #13  
mom2cole

I personally love doing weight watchers. I have been in the program since the end of april and I have lost 15lbs. For me I needed the accountability of having to weigh in once a week and go to a meeting. The twelve dollars a week is well worth it and the lady that leads my group is great. So it all depends on what you need to keep going. I NEED to be held accountable to someone other than myself. Good luck!
mom2cole is offline   Reply With Quote