Old 06-07-2006, 07:37 AM   #16  
updownupdownupDOWN!!!

Hi Chickies

I've been applying for jobs, applying for jobs, applying for jobs... applying for jobs... It looks like none of the agencies I'm registered with are likely to find me anything any time soon, so I've got to show some initiative. Unfortunately, most of the responses I'm getting are negative -- I can only commit to 3 months' work because of my visa restrictions, and employers want at least 6-12 months... maybe I'll have some luck with temp jobs.

I went figure skating today, first time in months... the only rink here is 40 kms away, so that's quite a drive (public transit would take ages), and it's not often that I can go. My boyfriend came to watch, and he nearly froze, it was so cold in there. Poor thing. It was fun, good to be on the ice again. Can't wait till September when I can skate regularly again.

Daisy, can't believe you haven't made use of this voucher yet! I'd love to go for a stone massage. And kudos for losing a size.

Marineswife, I fell of the wagon pretty bad in May too. It was weird - I didn't fall of and did at the same time. And no, I don't quite understand it...

Chicago, flea markets are fun! You don't have to buy things - lots of people come just to look.

Stephie, congrats on the running! You're such an inspiration for persisting with it, despite how busy you are. I must get myself running again - for some strange reason I've been afraid to. Weird.
Sushi Penguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 11:16 AM   #17  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

Sushi- tell your bf I sympathize. I work at a rink and am perpetually cold from the month of October to the month of May (especially since I'm on the early/figure skating shift). I'm JUST now starting to thaw. It's been figure skater central around here this morning as we have been testing... figure skating mothers at there very finest... On the other hand, it's 96 degrees outside and I wouldn't know it!
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 11:37 AM   #18  
2blessed2Bstressed

S/C/G: 201/201/165

Height: 5'11"

just wanted to pop in and say HI Ladies! Happy Hump Day! My lovely Lady Humps!
spillthebeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 11:50 AM   #19  
Lose that Baby Weight!

S/C/G: 172/154/125

Height: 5'2

Well ladies, the scale is being nice to me today...a pound gone from 2 days ago Today I need to get some major work in with my at home job and also around the house. My husband was so sweet yesterday. He could tell I was a bit burnt out yesterday so he took me antique shopping, to an art gallery, on a photographic safari through the country and then ended the evening with watching the lightning from Skyline Drive...the prettiest spot in town. What a sweetheart huh? No exercise got done...but I can more than make up for it today. I am going to eat like and angel, drink water like a fish and get my run in and my pilates.

Daisy - pooor pooor Daisy, hope those legs get to feeling better. I know what you mean on needing to get some time in. I had a great day yesterday but included no exercise. I feel like a bum.

abakerchick - Just work up to the running. When I started the program said run for 30 seconds and man was I winded...now I am up to 3 5 minutes intervals of running...I can run a mile without stopping, in about 10 minutes! Try the coolrunning.com couch to 5k program it is awesome.

sushi - Thanks for the congrats. My running is the one thing I do not let slip...I am addicted rofl.

junebig - is that fire truck from those hot firefighters you met lol.
Stephanie Osborne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 11:00 PM   #20  
here I go again...

Hey girls! I hope everyone had a great day today... I had to spend six hours in the car today, so feeling a little lazy. I have GOT to workout, even though I worked out too close to bedtime last time and had an odd night (dream-wise, and some disorientation, very strange)

Stephie- Thanks for the tip on the running website... I will have to try 30 seconds and to be optimistic about running for a change...

Sushi- I want to go skating! I haven't been in ages! Does your boyfriend not skate?
illinichick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 09:09 AM   #21  
Let's do this!

[QUOTE=junebig - is that fire truck from those hot firefighters you met lol.[/QUOTE]

why, yes it is

Marineswife- it seems as though everyone has a sick man this week! They can be time consuming... Glad your ankle is doing better. Did they give you any ankle exercises?

I had the glorious experience of cooking for my future in-laws for the first time last night. Baked chicken with a jalepeno-cheddar sauce. Sounds good in theory, but the recipe missed a couple of steps (and so did I), so the sauce that started out PERFECT ended in a lumpy, chalky mess out of the oven. Oops.
I know it sounds kind of bad, but I was hoping for SOME kind of approval from his folks that the meal was ok, perhaps a , "Hey Jen, we didn't die from some horribly undercooked chicken, nor did we choke on the lumpy sauce! Bravo!".
I think they are just humble country folks, not their style.

On to meet my folks tomorrow.

But, my energy is good, I've been keeping up with my running (stephanie, you are rubbing off on me, sister girl), and I am so nervous I have no appetite. Go know.

Who's looking foward to the weekend?
Old 06-08-2006, 10:09 AM   #22  

hey ladies. still continuing with great workouts and great eating. i've actually lost about 5 lbs in the last two weeks, but since i never changed my ticker when i gained weight, i can't change my ticker. long story short, i went up to 199 (when i moved and just being lazy), now i'm at 194. i figure i'll get to 192 VERY soon so why bother changing it? also, i think it's amaizng that when i hit 199 i suddenly started getting back in control. hahaha. i updated my June goals and i'm on track except i missed on day of running. i only ran 2/3 days a week. oh well. overall, i'm on trac.

Daisy - my arms feel the way that your legs do. i find that taking baths help.
abakerchick - i am the same way. being in the car for a long period of time makes me feel really tired. i don't know how that works out.

sushi - skating looks like so much fun. i can ice skate, but i never learned to rollerblade. i really want to learn since it's such a good workout. i'll have to check out the markets some time.

junebig - i remember cooking an omlet for my bf and his dad when they came to town and his mom watched me the whole time. worst off, there is a language barrier, so we couldn't make small talk. let me just tell you when it was time to flip the omlet, i almost had a heart attack. i thought for sure i would mess it up. i bet your dinner was good. i love anything in cheese!

stephie- you're such an inspiration. i just need to get to that point when i become addicted again (it's such a good feeling). it's hard to think that i used run 5 miles a day! i'm working on it. running really does change your body (in a good way) and it's the only thing that remotely battled my thighs. keep it up!
chicagoposter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 10:48 AM   #23  
No More Excuses!

S/C/G: 240/225/165

Height: 5'6"

Hey Girls! Well i got a busy day ahead of me. I gotta clean clean clean today. My inlaws wil be out here in like 2 weeks and the house is completley trashed because Jason has been home all the time. Doesnt help that weve been sleeping downstairs too because of his leg. But im puttin a stop to that today. I want my livingroom to start getting CLEAN again lol. And i gotta vaccum the stairs which is always a chore and a half lol. Im so glad i broke down and bought a Dyson vaccum last year, it works so good ont hat stuff.
So im thinkin I might try walkin a mile today. Its not too hot out now so maybe ill go now. My ankle is feeling pretty good today. And if it really starts hurting i can always take the shortcut and go home. Wish me luck!
Marineswife85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 10:59 AM   #24  
Lose that Baby Weight!

S/C/G: 172/154/125

Height: 5'2

Week 5 Day 2...

Ok so this program just jumped up a notch...it got out of hand fast! I was feeling awesome after my last training run. I looked at the schedule and saw omg 2 eight minute running intervals and my jaw dropped. Went to a movie tonight and lost all daylight to run in...dragged my butt to the gym and guess what...I did it. I was so awesome I even upped my mph on the last minute of my last running interval to push myself just a little harder. Music blaring, heart pumping, sweat dripping I am a running goddess and did not even know it! Better keep this motivation week 5 day 3 calls for running 20 minutes straight with no breaks...up until now 11 minutes is the longest I have ever run...

Water was great yesterday...eating went exceptionallly well until I went out at like 11 pm and had blueberry pancakes with some friends wtf?!?! My best intentions...

abakerchick - 6 hours in the car! I can relate...the last 3 weekends I have been travelling out of town for work. Get those workouts in girl!

junebug - I understand what you mean about wanting a bit of approval from the soon to be in laws. My hubbys mom cooks everything from scratch...cooking for her and his dad is like **** for me. I know they are never going to really like it...keep up the running girly!

chicago - congrats again on the loss, you are doing so well! I hope that promise about running battling thighs is true...that is my big problem area.

heather - Glad your ankle is feeling better, watch not to overdo it though
Stephanie Osborne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 12:18 PM   #25  
No More Excuses!

S/C/G: 240/225/165

Height: 5'6"

I went for a 25 minute walk today, slow and steady, but around the half way mark my ankle started to bug me a little. Not too bad tho. I think i might do a shorter walk next time, instead of trying to walk a mile after doing nothing. Well im gonna go start cleaning up. Hope you ladies are havin a good day!
Marineswife85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 09:09 PM   #26  
fat fighter

Height: 173cm

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephiewilliams
I did it. I was so awesome I even upped my mph on the last minute of my last running interval to push myself just a little harder. Music blaring, heart pumping, sweat dripping I am a running goddess and did not even know it!
I am so proud of you, Stephie! Never underestimate yourself. I can imagine how daunting those intervals would look on paper, but you have come so far in the past 5 weeks.

Excellent job

Just realised that I didn't update my exercise minutes with a walk to our local petrol station on the weekend. 20 minutes = 1km. It all adds up. Off to change my ticker and edit my exercise post

Last edited by Daisy Boo; 06-08-2006 at 09:16 PM.
Daisy Boo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 08:35 AM   #27  
Let's do this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoposter
junebig - i remember cooking an omlet for my bf and his dad when they came to town and his mom watched me the whole time. worst off, there is a language barrier, so we couldn't make small talk. let me just tell you when it was time to flip the omlet, i almost had a heart attack. i thought for sure i would mess it up. i bet your dinner was good. i love anything in cheese!
If I was in your situation, I would've been so freaked out I would've let that omelette burn! And what's with the watching thing? I haven't needed supervision in the kitchen since I was 8.

On a related note, she showed up last night with a brand new set of pots and pans for me.

So my appetite came back.... at a BBQ. Complete with wine and cheese. I have that post-Christmas hangover where I feel bloated and 10 feet wide. I did a juice cleanse (just homemade juices- no supplements) for a couple of days after the holidays and that made me feel somewhat human again- got some energy, stomach returned to normal... I might start on sunday when we get back from the big face to face with the parents. At least I get to soak in the hot spings tonight. Time to relax...
Old 06-09-2006, 08:59 AM   #28  
updownupdownupDOWN!!!

Hey again Chickies

No, my boyfriend can't skate. He sort of wants to learn, and I do want to teach him, but he doesn't want me to spend time on him when I have so little opportunity to skate and pracitce my jumps, spins and other tricks...

Guess what... that skating trip has cost us! My boyfriend's cold got worse, and I'm so kicking myself for not making sure he had more warm clothes... just didn't expect that rink to get so cold... which is silly of me really. I've been there a few times only and it WAS very warm, but that was in the summer... So he's still sick, and I've acquired a huge purple swollen bruise on my seat... that from slipping on the stairs at the rink, hitting my bum very hard and sliding down two or three steps. It hurt a lot, lots of impact... fat is so useles... you'd think that the deeper the fat layer is, the less you'd get bruised... even the extra layer didn't protect me from getting a nasty bruise! It looks horrible and still hurts a bit, I can't sit too much. But the worst thing is that I seem to be treating this as an excuse not to exercise, though I'm quite sure it wouldn't prevent me from walking or running...

Oh, and I have a question? Has anyone tried Nia dance?
My yoga school is offering it, and I even went to check it out, but I read the time wrong and got there an hour too late. The class had not been held anyay because noone showed up... so maybe it's better that I was late! But now I don't know whether I'll have the courage to go next time... I'm really uncoordinated and actually dislike dance...
Sushi Penguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 09:12 AM   #29  
Let's do this!

NIA is one of my FAVORITE THINGS EVER.

Forget about courage. I was terrified of fitness classes when my boyfriend and I showed up for yoga and it was changed to NIA. Now, he looked like a drunk cheerleader, but I loved it. In my class it's primarily women of all levels. I just hung out in back for a few weeks until I was more comfortable with the routine. If your instructor is good, she will have a few different routines to change up weekly and the moves aren't that hard. Also, there are different levels of difficutly you can use. It really helped me regain my balance and strength in my ankle after I shattered it. It tends to focus on balance (emotional and physical). It amy sound strange, but I had a very traumatic experience at work (a hockey player collapsed and died while I was adminstering CPR), and it helped get me back on track emotionally as well.

Like all things, it's not for everyone, but give it a shot! You may really like it.

BTW, I can't dance, either.
Old 06-09-2006, 09:20 AM   #30  

[QUOTE=junebug41]If I was in your situation, I would've been so freaked out I would've let that omelette burn! And what's with the watching thing? I haven't needed supervision in the kitchen since I was 8.

i don't think omlets are common where his parents are from so maybe she was fascinated by it?! i have no clue, but i was NERVE WRECKING!

i guess you could take the pots and pans the wrong way, but honestly, i would just be the first one to laugh about my cooking skills. if you want to give a good impression, i would just write a nice thank you note for them when they get home. win them with your manners and maybe eventually with your cooking!

yesterday i had a super amazing workout, good eating until i got home from the gym at 8:00. i had a plan to have a smoothies and a loaded salad for dinner, but the lettuce had gone bad, so i made low cal. soup instead. well, i got this crazy sick feeling so i ended up eating mashed potatoes after i got sick. granted i lost some calories from the smoothies and soup from getting sick (sorry for being graphic), but still, the mashed potatoes at 9:30 at night probably weren't the best although they did settle my stomach.

do you think the fruit in the smoothie upset my stomach? it was a smoothie with protein powder added.
chicagoposter is offline   Reply With Quote