Old 05-18-2006, 08:49 PM   #1  
Amber

S/C/G: 180/165/130

Default Horrible cravinggg!

I know this may sound weird to many of you but, I crave pickles........dill pickles....... alllllllllllllll the timeeeeeeeee!! I can eat an entire jar in a day! I LOVE them, always have.

Now, I don't need them due to my high blood pressure and the massive amount of sodium they contain... any ideas to help me get over my cravings???

I can't say no to pickles and I decide not to buy them but then i have to give in.. i can't take the crave. AAHH!
amb_lyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 09:07 PM   #2  
fat fighter

Height: 173cm

is it possible to just have half a pickle a day to satisfy your craving? i find if you tell yourself you can't have something, you only want it more and more.

if you can't limit yourself to a small amount - don't bring them in the house! i am not a big believer in will power and find if the temptation is there, i will take it. if it is not there, there is no option but to find something else.

i have a bit of a cheese and cracker addiction late at night and to curb this i began drinking 1lt of water flavoured with a little low cal raspberry cordial straight after dinner. i sip it throughout the evening until i go to bed. the sweetness makes me feel like i am treating myself, although there are technically not calories.
Daisy Boo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 09:12 PM   #3  
Amber

I did quit buying them for like 2weeks but the crave was sooo bad! I tried not to think of eating them. I tried replacing the salt with another type of snack. Just can't quit craving them!

I gave up soda, chocolate, cake, cookies, candy, etc... All I crave is pickles now.. How sad is that?!
Old 05-18-2006, 09:20 PM   #4  
fat fighter

Height: 173cm

what is it that you like about them? the salitness or the crunch? if you have blood pressure problems i wouldn't suggest replacing them with another salty snack but perhaps having raw pickle (cucumber i suppose, oh, a lebanese cucumber would be perfect) would give you the crunch.
Daisy Boo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 09:23 PM   #5  
Amber

The taste.. LOL I dunno for sure if it's the salt.. But i love how they taste. I've eaten them since i was a child.. LOTS of them.. I"m an odd duck..

I finished off a jar tonight so I am going to try not to buy anymore.. we'll see how it goes.

I know I should'nt have them.. I'm a nurse.. LOL I just give into the crave i guess.

I have gotten cucumbers.. i will have to try that again. Just wasn't the same.
Old 05-18-2006, 09:30 PM   #6  
I don't even own a wagon.

S/C/G: 363/277/200

Height: 5'11"

http://www.lowsodiumcooking.com/free...torPickles.htm

You could try playing with the seasonings to use less sugar (maybe splenda would work?), add garlic or hot pepper flavors, etc. It could be a whole new hobby!
andoreth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 09:36 PM   #7  
Amber

Thanks!! I am going to try those!!
Old 05-18-2006, 09:45 PM   #8  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

You and I are spun from the same cloth! My mother has always marveled at my "special" talent of finishing off entire jars of pickles since I was a child. I've always liked the salty-sweet-crunchy-vinegar combo of them. I don't know what it is about the taste of vinegar!

Anyway, because of the sodium, the amount of water weight I gain when I eat them helps as a deterent. Also, I've grown attached to orange bell pepper which are supposed to be very good for you. That takes care of the crunchy/sweet thing. Also, I sometimes replace them with banana peppers or pepperocinis. I still get that tart fix, but the spicyness keeps me from overdoing it.

Still, I will always cave for those pickles you get at the state fair...
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 09:51 PM   #9  
Amber

Whew!! Glad i'm not the only pickle lover LOL My DH thinks i'm crazy!!
Old 05-19-2006, 10:19 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 198/150/140

Not to start more cravings but I think next week is National pickle Week according to hungry-girl
lizzbabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 10:32 PM   #11  

Any way to learn how to make your own, with less salt? I dont know how they make pickles, or if that is even an option...but possibly an idea??? Can you buy low sodium pickles, I don't really like them, so I never get them..so I would have no clue...
Pilatesgrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 10:13 AM   #12  
Amber

I decided to cut up a cucumber last night & soak them in vinegar.. After a few hrs.. it was just what i needed.
Old 05-22-2006, 09:02 AM   #13  
Lose that Baby Weight!

S/C/G: 172/154/125

Height: 5'2

This may sound weird but they make pickle flavored sunflower seeds. They sell that at the grocery store, they are made by a company called SPITZ. They taste just like real pickles. These would be protien and you could just watch your self to make sure you did not go overboard with them...
Stephanie Osborne is offline   Reply With Quote