Old 05-18-2006, 07:18 PM   #1  
here I go again...

Default Go Donate Blood

I gave blood today (got my gallon pin ) and was thinking about what it takes for your body to regenerate that lost pint... so I googled it and according to the Mayo Clinic website, you burn 650 calories with each donation! So, at first I was unhappy that they told me not to workout tonight... but feeling much better now!!!

It's a win-win situation!!! Go donate!!

http://www.mayoclinic.org/donateblood/know.html
illinichick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 08:51 PM   #2  
Amber

S/C/G: 180/165/130

Good for you for donating blood!! I wish I could but I have high blood pressure & take medication for it right now so I have to wait until i'm off meds. Being a medical professional, I applaud your donation! Thank you!
amb_lyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 09:11 PM   #3  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

I wish I could too! I have some funky blood disorder and they won't take it...so upsetting! Especially because its not really a disorder, just one funky gene, and the blood is still functional! I need to check again - I think the reason I can't donate is that one of the questions they ask is "do you have a blood disorder" and I'm not sure if this qualifies. I really enjoy giving blood, actually, it makes me feel really good about myself.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 12:27 PM   #4  

Wow, what a great reason to give blood besides the obvious great reason. My town has a blood drive somewhere around here every month, I think I'll be there next time.. but until then, I will have to work up the courage to get over my fear of needles ... so, how much does giving blood hurt?
DaisyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 12:48 PM   #5  
Moderating Mama

OK, update. apparently I can donate and the woman who told me I couldn't was wrong. YAY! Made my appointment for today at 10:45 - so ABakerChick, you inspired at least one person to go - thats up to 6 lives saved by you! And I'm REALLY happy I can do it again - I have always enjoyed it and was really sad when the lady said i was disqualified (SO MANY times I thought about going and didn't...makes me sad)

It doesn't hurt very much at all. If you are scared of needles, look away. Basically, its no different pain wise from when you go to the doctor to get blood drawn for a test - its the same type of needle and the same type of experience. Other than that, it has never been painful for me - you just sit while the bag fills. It is literally just like getting a small amount drawn at the doctor. Just make sure to drink lots of water beforehand (but not excessive amounts) and afterward.

The more painful part for me was always when they did the fingerprick to check your iron - and that is literally a tiny prick on your finger to get a drop of blood out to test if it has enough iron to donate - and even THAT hurt more than the actual blood draw. Think of it this way - these people spend all day, every day drawing blood. They get pretty good at doing it quickly and painlessly - after all, its all that they do.

Giving blood is really important. And I can't say the 650 calories doesn't have me a little excited too....
Old 05-19-2006, 02:06 PM   #6  
here I go again...

The pain is minimal and is completely forgotten the first time you have a family member or friend that needs a transfusion. Just look away during the stick and the rest is easy as pie (hmm... considering the site... low-fat pie )
illinichick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 02:47 PM   #7  

Okay I believe you girls, I will definitely go and donate blood the next time they have a blood drive - but just for perspective, what hurts more waxing or giving blood? Because I dont' mind waxing. Anyway, I think it's just the idea of the needle that gets to me, but I'll suck it up and go ^_-
DaisyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 02:52 PM   #8  
Moderating Mama

Oh dear lord, waxing is so much worse. Waxing hurts AFTERWARD, and blood draws simply hurt for the second it takes. And apparently, they've replaced the finger-pricking apparatus, and it no longer hurts! I just got back, and the whole thing was pretty much painless - a little sting, and its over. Certainly better than getting ears pierced, waxing, or any number of the things that I do for beauty :-)
Old 05-19-2006, 04:52 PM   #9  

I should go try to donate blood...I've never been able to since I always have low iron levels. At least its a free hemoglobin test, or I actually get to help people...
Pilatesgrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 10:23 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 198/150/140

Wow-- I never knew it burned calories! I haven't given since moving to TX. Back when I was at school I was a regular at the Red Cross.
lizzbabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 12:05 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 283/253/190

Height: 5'9"

Great! I usually give on a regular basis - but what a bonus to burn calories too!
Lifeguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 06:55 PM   #12