Old 04-18-2006, 12:36 PM   #16  
Lose that Baby Weight!

S/C/G: 172/154/125

Height: 5'2

Well ladies I started out trying to get my run in last night and life intervened so tonight will be my reschedule night. I WILL GET MY RUN IN! DO you guys run outside or inside? SInce I am just starting out I am trying to decide...outside always feels so much harder to me so that is good. But inside I can do when it is dark...so fits better in my schedule...Maybe I will mix it up!

chicago - thats one of the allures of running for me. I have a beautiful river walk path to run on and that beats my crowded gym anyday! PLus I have a treadmill at home which helps me have NO EXCUSES!

lizz - I hope I can do it, I would be so proud!

pilatesgrl - I have to job pretty slow if I want to go for a long time, at first it feels rediculous but I often see others doing it as well...slow and steady!

alaynna - training to be smaller...I love it hehe.

sushi - I am like you I focus more on my time than my distance at this point. I hope you find the motivation you need in this thread it is hopping!

june - Thanks hun! Glenwood would be beautiful to run...especially in the summer! So many great races in Denver too they have a nike store downtown that has a running club...they meet every week and run downtown and then have like a party afterwards at the store I think.

spill - I think I remember seeing that program...I love shape It is hard when you first start, like your body needs to get used to it. I would rather take a little bit more time than end up hurting myself. I hear running can do some major damage if you don't do it right. I am also weight training on my days off.
Stephanie Osborne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 01:01 PM   #17  
back at it

S/C/G: 178/175/145

Height: 5'8"

I did day 1 of the couch-5K program yesterday evening and it was great! I made my husband come with me and time the intervals so it was kind of fun, not too too strenuous, but definately a workout.

stephie, usually when i walk (or jog!) i go to a park near my house that has a 2 mile loop dirt road with nice scenery. i dont have a treadmill at home so outside is my only choice, but i would probably choose that anyway, plus i cant quit a workout early if i still have to get home (good motivation).
denice81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 02:10 PM   #18  

stephie-

i don't run outside everyday because it's so hard on my knees (i don't have any knee problems, per se, but it's just the pavement). so i would maybe suggest switching it up. in fact, i don't run everyday either. i'll do the elliptical at the gym to mix it up. so far this week:

M: 1 mile walk to the lake, 3 mile run, 1 mile walk home.
T: 30 minutes on the elliptical, legs only(mostly backwards), 30 minutes on the elliptical with arms (i used two different machines), weights.
W: should be running outside, probably similar to monday, but i might go a bit farther.

then thursday and friday i'll see how i'm feeling as far as running outside vs. on a treadmill.

so yeah, i got in my outdoor run on monday, it wasn't easy which stinks because i thought i was making progress (maybe it was an off day), but i did it. i think for me, i'm going to have to keep at it and also doing the gym to get me in better shape.

i do have to say, one of the perks of races is the t-shirt. i feel so proud when i put them on (plus, i can always use more gym clothes).
chicagoposter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 04:11 PM   #19  
future triathlete

S/C/G: 187.5/148.5/129

Height: 5'2"

This thread sounds great - I'm right at the point in running where I'm really starting to enjoy it, and finding myself needing to run.

I've been running for about a month now
Program: I'm working on Jeff Galloway's 10k in 59 minutes program. It's three days a week run/walk, although a prefer run/jog for shorter sessions (I know if i start walking sometimes I'll just feel too lazy to start running again!). One day is based on time, one on distance, and there's one day of speed laps. I can run 7km straight right now, but it'll put me to bed at about 6 that night!

I'm working towards doing a triathlon next year, so I swim and cycle on my days off of running. I'd like to find a 10k to do in the fall, too.

Today's definitely a day off since i have an exam tomorrow... but I'm going straight to the gym after it's over.
sierra_ttw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 09:37 PM   #20  
Lose that Baby Weight!

So I guess that answers my question then, running on a treadmill is less impact than running outside?

I ran today. Did my first day of the c25k program. It felt good. Not overly hard but enough to be a workout. It is making me more comfortable with running. This may sound kind of weird but I like how after I run I can feel all the places I want to lose weight. Like I think I have a ghetto booty and after I run the next day I can feel it in my butt. I can feel it in my stomach...I can feel it in my thighs...I think that means it is working those areas right? Still did not run outside...I would like to try and do at least 1 of my 3 runs a week outside.
Old 04-19-2006, 07:05 AM   #21  
updownupdownupDOWN!!!

I run outside. Or at least, I have ran outside so far. I only tried inside once, but I don't have the space for it at home. No idea what's going to happen right now, winter is coming here, which means it'll be getting dark very early, so I won't be able to run outside unless I run on asphalt or concrete (my preferred dirt road is pitch dark). No gym options exist for the next few months.

Stephanie, thank you for the encouragement, hopefully I'll get moving in the next few days!
Sushi Penguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 12:02 PM   #22  
Moderator.:.20-Somethings

I am in on this!

How long have you been running: I do intervals right now because i can't run for long yet. I'm also a baby at this program.
Following any kind of program: I do intervals.
Training for anything: Training for my health? hehehe. Actually my lover is a runner, he used to be in cross country, so one day i want to be able to enjoy that passion with him.
Running Schedule: 4 times a week.

I will try to walk/jog/run 2-4 miles today.
trnsfrmnreplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 02:52 PM   #23  

S/C/G: 154/145/125

hi, i've been running regularly for 7-8 years now (i feel so old saying that!)-- since the end of highschool.

sometimes i follow training programs if i have a race coming up, but normally i run 3-6 times per week (i do elliptical on the other days). i usually run 3-5 miles, sometimes i do a fartlek if i am feeling ambitious.

i *might* do the Komen race for the cure in may, but it is during graduation weekend, so we'll see if i have time.

to anyone considering doing a race-- definitely do it. they are so much fun. if you have to stop to walk, there is no shame. races always motivate me in a very positive way. and i love seeing people of all shapes and sizes and ages and backgrounds out together giving it their all.

i absolutely love running. i can't explain how much it destresses me after work/school/travelling or energizes me in the morning. it is a definite mood-lifter.
kms7z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 05:23 PM   #24  
Living the Laguna life...

Ooo I love running so I am definitely in on this thread
How long have you been running: I used to run in junior high on sports teams etc., but really started running 4 years ago
Following any type of program: Varies every few months or so...right now I am on a 30-minute-treadmill-run kick where I see how far I can run in 30 minutes...I have dreams of a half marathon though
Training for anything: Umm..other than running to catch the bus, no. But see dream above
Running schedule: Usually 5 days/week

Question for everyone...I seriously love running, but before I started working I would mix in things like spin class and kickboxing on some days to give my knees a break. Now I am traveling for work, and the only equipment in the gym are treadmills and stationary bikes. I just can't seem to work up a sweat on the stationary bikes (and I don't like sitting down) Most days after work I want to get another workout in after I've run in the morning. Obviously I shouldn't run again...but what can I do for cardio that still gets me sweating??? Any advice would be appreciated (Side note -- I have tried dvd's but they aren't challenging enough, tried walking but too boring lol)
miss michelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 05:41 PM   #25  
2blessed2Bstressed

S/C/G: 201/201/165

Height: 5'11"

get the treadmill on an high incline...walk fast=great workout, you can break a sweat in less than five minutes.
spillthebeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 10:34 AM   #26  
Lose that Baby Weight!

You know what I do that always kicks my butt (literally makes it work out really hard!) is set the treadmill on zero percent incline, walk 3 mph for 5 minutes. Then every minute raise the incline by .5 percent until you cannot possible stand raising it anymore. Then start lowering the incline by 1 every minute until you are back to 0 incline, finish with a 5 minute cool down at 2.5 mph 0 incline. If you want to make it harder before the cooldown go back up and down on the inclines again. WIthout adding to it the whole thing should take around 35 minutes, but depends on how hard you push yourself on the incline.

PS: Miss Michelle, do you bring a laptop with you when you travel? What if you got a great workout dvd and put in in your laptop...?
Old 04-20-2006, 10:42 AM   #27  
Living the Laguna life...

Hmm..I should do the incline walking..I have tried it before and you are right...it is really a butt-kicker! Stephanie, I do bring my laptop but I usually just go yoga DVDs...I can't seem to get the excitement level up for Billy Blanks on a 12 inch monitor!
miss michelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 11:29 AM   #28  

I've been a fat athlete all my life. I've been a tournament tennis player since i was 11 and now i'm an instructor and yet i've never played in good shape. In fact throughout my athletic career the only thing that ever really intimidated me was RUNNING. And i don't just mean running as a sport. I mean running the mile in school. Or a 10 minute warm up run before softball. I would do ANYTHING to get out of that kind of stuff. But in the last couple of months things have started to change. I started by just walking, then i started adding some jogging. I was so proud of my first 5 minutes in a row of running. Then the next week i ran for 15 minutes. Then a week later i did 30 minutes of pure running. I amazed myself! I think running always just scared me because i thought i would fail. Now i'm starting to realize that there is no failing. I am not a fast runner. I am not even a particularly good runner. But i either way, i'm starting to believe that good or bad, i am a runner. And i like the sound of that.

How long have you been running: 2 months
Following any kind of program: "speed" intervals and "long" runs on treadmill. Next step, running outdoors
Training for anything: Eventually a 5K, right now, fitness and weight loss
Running Schedule: 4x/wk-30 min (plus WL 2x-1 hr, XTraining 2-3x-30 min)
Miss DC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 12:25 PM   #29  

S/C/G: 150/148/120

Height: 5'2"

Hey...I'd like to join too!

How long have you been running: Only about a week and a half...I'm new at this!
Following any kind of program: Couch to 5k, except I've been running every day. I'll probably get my bike down soon so I can bike 7 miles on my off-days.
Training for anything: Just to get into shape and lose weight!
Running Schedule: Supposed to be 3 days, but have been doing it 5-6 days. I'm gonna stop doing that though cuz I don't wanna ruin my knees!
LaBonita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 01:32 PM   #30  
Lose that Baby Weight!

Just got done with my second session of c25k training. I thought I might be too sore to do it after the crazy aerobics class I had last night, but no excuses right?! It felt good, my calves are a little tight and I broke a sweat for sure. Can't wait to do it again! Great to see so many runners, you guys inspire me!

michelle - yeah I could see how that might be difficult...maybe some brisk powerwalking outside the hotel?

miss dc - I like the sound of calling myself a runner to. And it is FABULOUS cardio that I am sure will help you get to your goal...you are so close already.

labonita - I am loving the c25k program so far. I am only doing it three days a week becuase I have weak knees.