Old 04-12-2006, 10:27 AM   #1  

Default Swelling and Exercise

Has anyone here experienced swelling in your hands and / or arms from exercising? I seem to only swell when I am walking outside and it gets 70+ degrees. If I come in and wash my hands in cold water it does seem to help and make the swell leave. Anyone have any other thoughts on how to handle it?
KittieCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 10:30 AM   #2  
Lose that Baby Weight!

S/C/G: 172/154/125

Height: 5'2

I do not experience it regularly but I was stung by a wasp last weekend. My hand swelled and even though it is getting better whenever I workout it tends to swell up...Not sure if is more to do with the exercise or more to do with that it was a wasp sting.
Stephanie Osborne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 10:51 AM   #3  
2blessed2Bstressed

S/C/G: 201/201/165

Height: 5'11"

it may be your diet...if you are eating a lot of sodium. You may not even realize it. There is tons of sodium in prepakaged foods, frozen & canned, and pkged deli meats.
spillthebeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 11:07 AM   #4  

I was also thinking that I need to start drinking more water before I actually go out when it is warm. I definitely drink lots after but I am probably dehydrated from not really doing it before or during.
KittieCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 01:51 PM   #5  
Melting Butter

If I'm walking outside for exercise and if I happen to keep my arms down by my side the whole time my hands do swell a little. Or if its cold outside and I'm walking the same thing happens.
healthyme05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 02:03 PM   #6  
Jessie's Mom

My hands swell whenever I get hot. Drinking water tends to help them. And the cold water helps as well. Try to keep your hands elevated as you work out. Example- when you walk don't let your arms hang down, Bend them. I know it looks kind of goofy, but that really helps me.
Treadgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 02:03 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 286/160/145

Same thing happens to me. The hand that I carry my MP3 player in doesn't swell. Just the one that "swings." It could be sodium (probably is). But I could just be that you retain water in your extremities and it's made more obvious when you sweat a lot. My doctor told me that that just happens to some people - not really much you can do about it if that's the case.
bluedevil is offline   Reply With Quote