Old 01-24-2006, 07:07 AM   #1  
fat fighter

Height: 173cm

Default The defining moment

Hi all

I figured what better board to join up with than a 20 somethings, as I am a 20 something, which is sometimes hard to remember as i don't live the life of a 20 something.

i have introduced myself in the bios section, but wanted to give a little more here and formally start the 'journey'.

I turn 28 this year and have been worried for a couple of years now about turning 30 and not having 'conquered' my own body image. As many of you have i am sure, i have jumped on many a bandwagon but recently seemed to have a defining moment.

I was re-reading a Joyce Vedral workout book and came across a passage that didn't really hit home before. I went something like this.

Negative thinking and discouragement is a sneaky thing. It creeps up on you unawares. Your mind starts telling you "Whats the point. Look at you, you're so out of shape - the workout you will do today is like a drop in the bucket - it won't make much of a difference. Let's face it - you are too far gone" And you feel too tired to move.

You may get home from a hard day at work and think of going straight to the workout area like you usually do, but you think, "I hate my life. All I do is go from one responsibility to another. When am I going to catch a break? When am I going to get a crumb of pleasure. I'm not working out today. I'm going to go straight to the refrigerator and get some food and watch TV."

Or some bad news that makes you think "I'm not working out today - I have too many problems."

Hello. Why not? Will any of the above improve or change if you don't work out? Of course not. The world will go on exactly as it is, and you will continue to have to deal with the various ups and downs of life, only if you don't workout, you'll continue to be fat, out of shape, and more depressed while you do it.

On the other hand, if you overcome your temptation to not workout, and if you continue to do so each time you are tempted to not workout, you will not only feel better about yourself because of the way you will look in a few months, and especially in a year, but you will be able to transfer the success of having transformed your body into successes in other life challenges. Instead of giving up when things seem impossible, you will go on, fueled by your success in conquering your body problem.

It goes on.

However, this passage made me realise that although I may not be able to control things such as our finances to decorate our house or have a back garden, or getting a promotion at work, I can control when I work out and be better for it. Of all the things in my life - I can control my body and what I chose to do with it (to a certain extent).

Anyway, sorry for being so long winded, but I wanted to share it with you and let you know I am here for the long haul.

I hope to get to know you all better
Daisy Boo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 08:27 AM   #2  
PACKERS FAN!

Daisy--THANK YOU! I really needed to hear that. It's been months since I've posted, but I've been lurking. Early December I was doing really well with my exercise (like an hour 5 days a week). It was so great and then the holidays came. It wasn't so much the food and what not, but the schedule. I allowed myself to get out of sync and it showed. I'm so frustrated that I was about to go down a size and then I let myself stop.

Anyway, the past week or so I've really been wanting to get back into my exercising routine, but that's only like 40% of me. 60% is that lazy half that says, oh, you can watch this silly tv program, it will make you feel good. (Yeah right!) It really helped to read that passage. I can't control how busy I am (wait, yes I can, but most of what I do is necessary so in a way, no) And that busyness isn't going to change until I'm done with school. So why should I keep making excuses about being busy and tired.

Subconcious Drill Instructor to Self: Stop feeling sorry for yourself about your life and get going! MOVE! MOVE! MOVE!

Thanks for leting me work this out! Oh, and what book is that in?
fuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 08:54 AM   #3  
fat fighter

Height: 173cm

thanks fuller - i know exactly what you mean

i am glad you liked it and that it will help you, as it will help me, get up and move. just stopping the excuses is all i need to lose the weight and improve my life.

it is in Joyce Vedral's Definition book which I bought a few years ago. I have a few of her books actually. I lost about 20 kg a couple of years ago and had just started implementing her workouts when another change came in my life and the exercise and healthy eating went out the door. Although I did notice a change in my muscle tone and thought "instead of wasting money on another program, just use the one I know works"

Here is the link for it on amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/044...Fencoding=UTF8

happy to tell you more about the program if you are interested.
Daisy Boo is offline   Reply With Quote