Old 01-18-2006, 11:07 PM   #61  
2blessed2Bstressed

S/C/G: 201/201/165

Height: 5'11"

I'm telling myself that to! my scale said 181 arghhh, hoping that's all muscle and TOM! moments like these make me want to eat donut holes...but I won't. I'll have some sliced turkey...weeeeeeeeeee

Stephie: I'm also a wacky SB person. I try and do the SB phase 2 which is more doable for me...so I don't know if that really counts as really being the SBD, since I totally skipped Phase One, but doing Phase two every day is something I can do for the rest of my life. Once you start changing those bad habits (like buying donut holes :smile you've made another change, and before you know it, you look back and you see all those small changes have made a BIG difference....my motto is...it takes baby steps before you can RUN! Something that I really like about SBD is that it has made me become more aware of what I'm eating and I've been trying new healthy recipes...something fun to do, and finding new things to eat that are good...mmmmhhh, ok I'm rambling, just got home from the gym.

I'll chat more later....now, that is something you all are looking forward to I know! :smile:
spillthebeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 07:34 AM   #62  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

I finally bought one of those big exercise balls last night (a purple one, of course). It comes with a video to follow, which is good because aside from back extensions and crunches, I wouldn't know what else to do with it (besides hurl it at Jeff at an unsuspecting moment, of course ). I figured it was a good idea because it wouldn't take up too much space and is relatively cheap (less than 30 bucks for the ball, pump, and video). Anyone else use a stability ball? How do you like it? I got the small one (55cm) because it said that's what you should use if you're up to 5'5", and I am almost exactly 5'5". Of course, it would probably work better if I took it out of the box and inflated it, but hey, one step at a time
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 08:45 AM   #63  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

So I saw the wrist doctor yesterday, and he basically said "go home!" So no more therapy or treatments for me, he thinks it is at a manageable level now so I can start slowly increasing my computer time.

Stephanie - When I make vegetable soup, usually I just take whatever veggies are on hand and cook them up in half vegetable broth and half water, then add beans and elbow macaroni. More specifically, I saute an onion with some olive oil, add 3C veggie broth and 3C water (or 6C water and a couple bouillon cubes), then add about 4 carrots (chopped up) and simmer until tender, then add about 2C green beans and simmer about 10 mins (until not quite cooked), then I add about 2C elbow macaroni and simmer as long as directed on the box, then I stir in a can of kidney beans, and dump on a couple tablespoons of Italian seasoning blend. It ends up soaking up almost all of the liquid and becoming more like a stew I guess, but I really like having all that stuff in there.

Amber - no luck yet, I only sent out one resume so far. Thanks for asking! I am probably going to send a couple more this weekend. It looks like the software companies are kind of clustered around Carmel. To be honest, I'm getting kind of excited about moving out there. It will be a big change for me since the only place I've lived are Los Angeles, the Bay Area, and Providence! No ocean, no mountains in Indy!

trnsfrmn - I alternate my exercise in mornings and afternoons. I go early MWF and in the afternoon TTh, that way I don't have to wake up so early every single day. Well okay, I wake up at the same time every day, but on TTh I roll around in bed relaxing for an extra hour before getting up! The main trick to early exercise is going to sleep earlier. I also have a simulated sunrise alarm clock that helps me wake up when it is dark out.
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 09:57 AM   #64  

Paperclippy, Carmel is a REALLY nice neighborhood. It's very upper class. Indianapolis is nice and has a lot of restaurants and markets for different foods. Of course, it doesn't mean you have to live there just because you work there but it's a pricey area. There are a lot of nice apartment complexes on that side of town too. I remember you saying once that you couldn't find good mexican in RI...well don't expect to find any here either!!*smile* I didn't realize we didn't have a good mexican restaurant until I went out west with my hubby! We have what my hubby (who is from California) just calls it Indiana Mexican which isn't true mexican. We have been getting a lot more good restaurants because of the factories up here though. Ok, enough about food! Good luck! It's nice that your wrists are co-operating too.

Jill, once you figure out your ball, will you let me know?? *smile* I got one for Christmas and it didn't have a video and I can't figure out what to do with it! I did get it out of the box though! It's just more of a toy for the kids right now. I am the worst ab exercise person anyway so I was hoping that would help. We'll see.

Not much else to report. I finally stuck to my calories yesterday and I gained for the first time this week. Not going to fret though because Friday's weigh-in is what counts. I only gain about a tenth or 2 tenths.

How is everyone's weeks going? I HAVE to eat more fruits and veggies and that is today's goal! I also want to continue trying to run on the treadmill...I'm up to 9 1/2 minutes of running at 4.0 mph which is nothing for most of you but great for me. I couldn't even run for that long in a row in high school unless I walked in the middle. I'm trying to do endurance running 3 nights a week (yes 9 minutes is endurance to me *smile*) and try to up my speed the other 3 nights (run faster for 3 or so minutes and then slow down...I"m only up to 4.4 mph but when I started exercising last year I couldn't even WALK at 3.0 mph, I had to run so I'm doing better). I guess I"ve figured out that even though I was this weight in high school and thought of myself as a porker, I was SO out of shape that I look and feel a LOT better now at the same weight. I do still have 20 to lose and I want to lose 10 by the end of March which is my 1 year anniversary. My initial goal was 140 but then I lowered it so it would be nice to make it.

Ok, I'm writing a book!! Sorry ladies, I was in a typing mood today I guess!
Back to my yogurt!

Amber
AmberM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 11:25 AM   #65  
Bahamas '06 or Bust!

S/C/G: 179/167.8/115

Height: 5'6"

Default Long time no write!

I just wanted to pop on here to say that I'm still here...I have not been able to post much b/c I have been so busy with life and my new healthy lifestyle.

I lost 1.4 lbs this week, so I'm at 176 now. I'm still 4 lbs above my pre-Christmas weight, but I'm not going to even think about it that way.

I exercised for 351 minutes this week, which is almost 6 hours. I walked/jogged 28.4 miles. Still haven't joined a gym, but I told myself that I MUST join one by March 1 so that I can start weight training back up again.

My goal for Feb. 1 is 169...I don't know if I'll make it, but I'll try my hardest. My REAL hardest.

All of you girls sound like you're doing so well. Keep up the good work!

Mocha, good going on starting strength training at the gym! Let me know how you like it.

Liz, glad you're back! Still exercising up a storm?

Welcome! to all the new years' newbies! This is a great place that you'll never want to leave, even after you get to goal!
Isla_Bonita115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 11:28 AM   #66  
Lose that Baby Weight!

S/C/G: 172/154/125

Height: 5'2

Well ladies, I have officially tossed the donut holes lol! The radiator on my car went out in addition to one other financial disaster so I will have to be dieting for cheapies for the next couple of months. Although I have a lot of the stuff from SB still that I will still eat it might be ramen cereal and salad for me from here on out Managed to get some running in with the puppy yesterday at the park . I am thinking about going to a pilates class tonight at the gym. I have been to a couple in the past but never at this new gym.

Jillybean - I have one at home and I lovvvveeee it! One of the easy things to do is to use it to replace your office or computer chair. Sitting on it makes you sit up straight and engage your core muscles. Another thing that you can do is use it as a weight bench. If you are going to be doing anything with hand weights you can sit or lay on the ball. Because you have to keep yourself upright on a cylindrical ball this also engages your core muscles. back extensions you said you have a handle on and crunches...you can also lay down and propyour feet up on it, then raise your pelvis into the air and lower to work on that tushie! If you go to shape.com in their exercise section I believe they have a whole workout for just the ball.

AmberM - Hey 9 minutes running is a marathon to me...I usually have to run 2 minutes walk 2 minutes etc...i can go for like hours on the eliptical but I am sooo not a runner. Sounds like you have extreme motivation though so I am sure that 9 minutes will turn into 15 then 30 then an actual marathon

paperclippy - Thanks for the recipe I will have to try it. I am soooo not a cook by any means, I burn ramen lol...should be interesting.

spillthebeans - doing just phase 2 is an option that I had not considered...thanks for giving me this suggestion I will talk it over with my hubby.

trnfrm - what kind of doggy do you have. Aren't they great...I mean you get to workout while spending time with them and getting them out and about as well. I have a cocker spaniel.

Well good luck today everyone...
Stephanie Osborne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 12:09 PM   #67  

Good morning!

Sorry to have been so quiet lately. My boss is on the war path, but is not in the office today. I've been at this job for 5months, and he decided just to put me on probation this month >.<. Not that my lack of training has anything to do with the mistakes I have made on my reservations (I'm in corporate travel) but oh well!. I will try harder, I guess, and slow down.

In other news, the scale has not moved this week...but I've been bad about going to the gym >.< I decided to hack off my hair the other day, and I'm hoping I had enough cut off to lose atleast .5 lbs ....and I've been better about staying away from the evil that is the vendint machine.

^.^
Arian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 05:37 PM   #68  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

Amber - thanks for the info! My fiance is actually from that area (his folks live in Zionsville) so he has been telling me about all the stuff out there. And guess what?? I got a call today to set up an interview, from the company I sent my resume to last week! Yay! And about the running -- LOL, 9 minutes was endurance for me too when I started! In fact, 2 minutes was endurance for me!

Jenn - that's a HUGE amount of exercise! Congrats! I'm only at about 3 hours this week so far.

Stephanie - exercising with your puppy is a great idea! Dogs need at least as much exercise as we do!
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 06:34 PM   #69  

Quote:
Originally Posted by *jenn_2005*
I exercised for 351 minutes this week, which is almost 6 hours. I walked/jogged 28.4 miles. Still haven't joined a gym, but I told myself that I MUST join one by March 1 so that I can start weight training back up again.
That is amazing! I really need to get into the gym more often.....like way more often
Old 01-20-2006, 12:55 AM   #70  
Moderator.:.20-Somethings

jillybean720 - You'll get an arm workout by just trying to pump it up. I love my ball.

paperclippy - Maybe i should try that. I just hate going when the gym is packed. How are the afternoons for you?

stephiewilliams - Yeah, but not when there are hills and your HOUND dog sees a BUNNY! hahaha. I fell on my butt TWICE yesterday. I have a beagle.
trnsfrmnreplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 07:11 AM   #71  
Eating for two!

Quote:
Originally Posted by trnsfrmnreplace
jillybean720 - You'll get an arm workout by just trying to pump it up. I love my ball.
Umm, so my ball is still in the box. I had to bake last night for an office party at work today, so the poor ball got pushed aside yet again, and I will be gone all weekend, so it'll have to wait till Monday now!
Old 01-20-2006, 08:27 AM   #72  
Going all the way!!!

S/C/G: 183/183/130

Height: 5'2"

Good grief am I behind!! This thread has been hopping again this week but I haven't had time to catch up or read it all! Yesterday was the day I decided I WAS going to get my eating back under control and I'm happy to say the scale finally moved (not JUST because of yesterday of course) so I'm only one pound above my pre-holiday weight now....! I've got big workout plans for tomorrow too! In case I don't get back on, I hope everyone has a fabulous weekend!
TheNewChristy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 08:38 AM   #73  

S/C/G: 198/150/140

Way to go Christy. I lost a pound this week too thanks to healthier eating but I am still up 4lbs from pre-holiday weight. Yesterday I slipped a bit in the afternoon grabbing some truffles from the candy basket at work so today I am going to be more mindful and just not even look at the goodies inside because I know none of them are good FOR me.

Happy Friday everyone!
lizzbabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 11:57 AM   #74  

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillybean720
Umm, so my ball is still in the box. I had to bake last night for an office party at work today, so the poor ball got pushed aside yet again, and I will be gone all weekend, so it'll have to wait till Monday now!
I need to get one of those balls. Where is the best place to get one? I think I saw one at Sears, but I'm not sure......

^,^
Old 01-20-2006, 12:08 PM   #75  
Eating for two!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arian
I need to get one of those balls. Where is the best place to get one? I think I saw one at Sears, but I'm not sure......

^,^
I got mine at Target. It comes with a hand pump and an instructional DVD (or video--not sure since I haven't opened the box yet ). It came to $25.19 including tax, and I had a $25 gift card from Christmas, so I only had to pay the 19 cents You can find them everywhere now, though--Target, Sears, Walmart, a million places online, any sporting goods store, exercise equipment stores...I just got mine at Target since I had the gift card.

Also, you may want to search for charts to suggest which size ball to get. I got the small one (55cm) because it said it was for heights up to 5'5", and I happen to be almost exactly 5'5"...I hope it doesn't feel too small!