Old 12-14-2005, 12:30 PM   #1  
Gettin' There

Question newbie has been yo-yo-ing

Hi! I'm brand new here. I am a full-time graduate student who doesn't have much free time.

I lost 25 pounds about 2 years ago and even ran a marathon a little more than a year ago. But then I injured my foot and quit running, and I also picked up some really terrible habits of eating while studying late at night, eating when I'm stressed or want to delay the inevitable, and eating more than I'm really hungry for. I've gained 30 pounds and I'm heavier than I've ever been. I don't fit into most of my pants, but I refuse to buy bigger ones.

I always have good intentions in the morning and eat a good breakfast and pack a good lunch. But then I get home and it's time to study and I just go back to my old habits. Any ideas?

I love running but can't because of my foot. It's too cold to want to do much outside. The only inside equipment I have is a treadmill.

I'd like a buddy. I need to be accountable. I think I need to work on one habit at a time. Maybe stop eating late at night? My last final is on Friday , so then I can stop studying and maybe break the habit then?

I love it here. You guys are awesome.
svelteme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 12:34 PM   #2  
Egy Kis Lany

Welcome!
I think that it's a great idea to work on one habit at once for a week or two, and then add something else.
Some ideas:
- Eating a good breakfast -every day-
- Writing down everything you eat
- 64 oz water per day
- Stop muching on snacks after dinner
- 5-6 small meals instead of 3 big ones
- 20 minutes cardio

Good luck and post any questions! Welcome!
PhysDom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 12:50 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 282/ticker/145

Height: 5'6"

In your case I think the 5-6 smaller meals would really help. That way those studying snacks will be a scheduled part of caloric intake and not unwelcome additions.
by the way!
stacylambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 03:42 PM   #4  
Living the Laguna life...

I used to do the same thing when I was in college! Some things I found helpful to curb snacking while studying...
--Have a big bag of cut up veggies and eat that while studying
--Instead of having a mocha or something with lots of calories, switch to plain coffee
-- Study in a place where they don't allow food (like my library), that was you can't just eat while studying, you have to actually take a break
--Drink lots and lots of water!
miss michelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 04:18 PM   #5  

One thing that helps me keep my apetite in check is eating cereal (healthy cereal like cheerios, rasin bran, grape nuts etc)...sometimes If I crave something I'll have cereal or a huge glass of milk. Sometimes that might not be the best calorie-wise...if adding another 200 cals of milk might bring you slightly over your calorie goal It doesn't bother me too much- Milk is so good for you, and totally gets rid of my hunger...and its a liquid...and has calcium...and I have read things in magazines about how high intake of calcium is linked with less abdominal fat...bring on the milk! Goodluck!
Julie
Pilatesgrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 08:29 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 198/150/140

Dairy/calcium has been shown to help with weight loss so that is a good idea. I know that I have a portion control problem when I eat just cereal (handfuls here and there) so if I actually sit down, pour the milk, etc it makes it more mindful and satisfying.
lizzbabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 01:49 PM   #7  
one step at a time

Welcome! This might sound a little obvious, but I find that my problem nighttime snacking ends when I don't keep anything I crave in the apartment. Knowing I could either eat grapes or go outside to buy chips, I'll often grudgingly realize I'm not even hungry.
HealthyChick is offline   Reply With Quote