Old 11-26-2005, 03:36 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 180/147/125

Height: 5'7"

This summer my aunt said "what, is your mom not feeding you anymore?"
aneleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2005, 03:58 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 198/150/140

I ran into my uncle that I hadn't seen in awhile and he started talking to me about stuff and referencing me in the third person (i.e., i'm going to liz's graduation, etc) and I had this confused look on my face until he said "oh wow! I thought you were Jennifer!" (my sister) Then he said "You look good!" It was a confidence builder for sure.
lizzbabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2005, 08:09 PM   #18  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

I went to visit my fiance's family -- the previous time they had seen me I was 185, the next time I was 145. His grandma said "Well, would you like to introduce yourself? You sure have turned your life around!" I wasn't sure whether that was supposed to be a compliment or not, but I felt pretty insulted! I guess my life was going down the gutter before! A previous time I saw them when my fiance (then BF) graduated from college, and we went out to this steakhouse and I ate a huge piece of prime rib, and I have a very vivid memory of his grandma saying "Wow, you ate the WHOLE THING." OMG, I can't imagine what she must have thought of me. She is one of these traditional types who said once something like "I've been hungry my whole life, but now that I'm old I figure I don't need to keep my figure, so now I finally eat until I'm full."

Those couple things make her sound bad, but she really is a very nice woman and she says she likes me and is glad I'm marrying her grandson. Let's just hope my life doesn't turn around the other way again!
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 09:32 AM   #19  
Chuggin' along...

One of the freshman orientation activities when I went to college was sending about a dozen of us "frosh" to paint a mural at a local community children's center. The manager woman said to me, "Are you going to play rugby? You sure look sturdy!" This was 2 years after I had lost and kept off 25 pounds and was 175 (at 5'5"), and was feeling pretty darn good about myself. Let's not stereotype, here, lady, I know lots of slender rugby players. Also it was laughable because I like cry if I've got a papercut, I'd never play rugby!
Megan1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 10:36 AM   #20  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

My husband is a big guy too, and we were laughing the other day about the lengths people will go to not mention our size when it might be relevant. Like my husband's company just went to uniforms which the company provides. David is 6'4" and around 350 lbs. Everyone's uniforms came in a few weeks ago except the "big guys," and his boss was trying to explain to David why his uniforms weren't in. David couldn't understand why the guy seemed to be a little embarassed as he explained the uniform manufacturer didn't have some sizes in stock. David finally realized the guy was trying to say that the uniform maker didn't have uniforms big enough for David and they were going to have to special order or custom make, or somesuch, which would take a little longer.

I think it's funny how people react to my comments on my own size, especially when I use the word "fat." Even when used matter of factly, as in, "Boy it sure is hard to find nice clothes when you're fat." Some people are horrified, as though I had called myself a disease-infected prostitute. Others giggle nervously. The funniest are people who out of instinct say, "you are not." That might have worked at 160 lbs, but at 360 it's sort of ludicrous. It's not just funny, though, it's sad. That the word fat is so bad that to some people it's a vile swear word. I'm supposed to use silly and meaningless euphemisms or not mention it at all. Come on world, I am fat, and not just fat, but really fat (maybe even really, really fat).

Maybe if we weren't so afraid of the word, it would be a less painful journey.
I'm not saying that weight loss isn't important for health, but we don't expect couch potatoes, junk food junkies, cigarette smokers or even substance abusers to be as ashamed of themselves as overweight people.

Colleen
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 02:25 PM   #21  
Living the Laguna life...

I don't know if this qualifies as funny but...
on Thanksgiving, my mom looked at an old picture of me I had lying on my desk. She picked it up and said, "Who is that?" She then realized it was me and said, "oh my god, did you lose a lot of weight or something?"
HAHA No, mom, that is just a bad picture!! *rolling eyes*
(the picture was from three years ago when i was 40 pounds heavier)
miss michelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 04:35 PM   #22  
Super Duper Senior Member

S/C/G: 289/T/190

Height: 5' 7.5"

I guess I should be really glad because I hear none of these comments coming from anyone else's mouth but mine.

I guess I beat them to the punch...
jenne1017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 06:07 PM   #23  
Movin' and Losin'

I'm the same as Jenn -- I say the most cruel things about myself -- it's not someone else saying them, thank goodness! I don't know if I could handle hearing some of these things from someone else -- I'd probably burst into tears on the spot. Most of the comments I hear from people are positive -- saying I look good, noting the weight loss, etc. -- I guess they just kept their mouths shut when I was gaining the weight!
jdoggmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 08:01 PM   #24  

I was at a concert with a friend who decided to "surf" her way up to the front of the crowd. She didn't even tell me, I just saw her go up. I didn't want to lose her, so I did the same. One of the guys half way though said, "well aren't you the chubby one."

Weird how I can remember that moment vs parts of the concert.

I was also about 10 pounds lighter than I am now. Thats discouraging.
Gitterdone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 10:08 PM   #25  
At it again

S/C/G: 166/160/140

Height: 5'4

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthyme05
A great aunt once told me my arms looked like sausages.
That's just flat out rude. But it sounds like she's old, and lots of strange things come out the ederly's mouths

My grandma came to visit this summer and told me that I had "big milk jug" legs. Seriously, I don't know what it meant, but I know it couldn't possibly be good.
Eggers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 08:48 PM   #26  
I like jewelry.

Height: 5'7"

This incident happened the last time I lost weight and weighed 133 lbs. (I'm 5'7".)

It was Christmas season. I was in the mall, shopping with my dad. This salesgirl, a teenager, walked up and apparently recognized my dad from church. She asked me, "Oh, do you go to T_____?'

I said "Yes," thinking to myself that she meant the church.

She said, "What grade are you in?"

I said, "Oh,do you mean T_____ church or school? I go to T_____ church." T_____ school is my church's school. They teach K through 8th grade.

She said, "I meant the school. Where do you go to school, if you don't go to T_____?"

I replied, "Um, out east..."

I was 22 years old and a senior in college at the time, visiting my parents on Christmas break. Apparently this girl thought I was 14 years old. In the area where I grew up, once women leave high school, they tend to pack on A LOT of weight. I guess the girl thought that since I was a size 8 I must be a teenager.

And on that same trip home to visit my parents, I got carded... for a rated R movie!
TBJ333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 12:05 AM   #27  
I'll call him Con Queso!!

One of my boyfriends was looking at pictures of me from high school (after I graduated I lost about 30lbs) He was like, "Damn! Where did your boobs go? I want them to look that way again!"
While I was pregnant with my son, a guy friend of mine asked me if I was "getting really fat yet?" Then a week or two later while he and I were out to dinner, he said" You really are getting pretty fat, you know" Hello! Pregnant!!!!
My step mother-in-law, while taking me xmas shopping last week, asked why I didn't to buy any clothes. I told he b/c I am on a diet and plan to loose a lot of weight. she said, " You never were all that thin to begin with"
Allensmom23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 01:13 AM   #28  

S/C/G: 282/ticker/145

Height: 5'6"

Allensmom: That's horrible! Aren't inlaws a nightmare? Everytime I'm around mine I lose weight just from pulling my hair out!

Another one of mine: My grandfather lived down the hill from me and one day I was down there with my sister and my brother drove by in his truck. We went to climb in the back of the truck (the bed) so he could give us a ride home. Well I was having trouble seeing as I was about 6 years old. My grandfather starts yelling "Don't give her a ride! She's so fat she can't even get in the truck! Make her walk!" Heeeellloooo, I was 4' tall!
stacylambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 10:59 PM   #29  
I'll call him Con Queso!!

One of my dear dear friends was a size 4 in school and she used to pull clothes out of her closet and tell me I could have thme b/c they were too big for her. Unfortunatly, life got her back for that when she gained 80lbs while pregnant and then put on another 15-20 afterwards. (I'lm not trying to be mean, she's a very good friend of mine, but she was always very snotty about my weight)
My husband, God bless him for not knowing any better, made a comment once about Jack Spratt.
you know, Jack Spratt could eat no fat, his wife could eat no lean. So together the two of them they licked the platters clean.
DH is 6"4 and about 165-170, he's a rail.
Allensmom23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 12:21 AM   #30  

LOL!!

I had my BIL and SIL over, my SIL was telling him how i got my belly button pierced and i had to show him! He went home and then exclaimed, so who had the piercing! He didn't even recognise me!!!!!!!!!!!( i was 116 pounds lighter) and when he was told it was me, he went " holy s**t, i didn't even relise it was her!, hope she didn't think i was rude!!!!!!"
icedragon6669 is offline   Reply With Quote