Old 11-08-2005, 03:28 PM   #16  
Chuggin' along...

I'll be eating Thanksgiving dinner with my BF's family, and meeting a lot of them for the first time. They're actually coming to us and renting a house here for a few days to a week (I'm not really sure how long) because we live on a tourist-y island. So I have some things working against me:

Against:
1. All the good food at Thanksgiving, duh.
2. I'll probably be expected to eat with and hang out with BF's family for multiple meals. I have no idea what types of food they usually eat, and they may be in "vacation" mode and have indulgent meals.
3. The stress of meeting BF's family. I'm not very good at making small talk and meeting new people.
4. We have a Thanksgiving lunch buffet at work a few days before the actual event - 2 Thanksgivings.

Plan to counter:
1. Load up on 'naked' veggies, eat healthy, small meals at home before going anywhere, drink water.
2. Stick to reasonable portions of the foods I really like or that are special to Thanksgiving. e.g. I love stuffing, but can do without mashed potatoes or cranberry sauce.
3. Since I love dessert and I know I'll eat it I'm going to offer to make it, and then I'll make weight watchers pumpkin pie, use splenda/sugar mix for apple pie, light pie crusts, etc.
4. Remind myself that I don't want to look like a piggy in front of BF's family.
5. Exercise, exercise, exercise. Before & after meals. Disguise it by pretending I want to be romantic and walk on the beach, or save the environment by not driving a few blocks, or make other excuses.
6. BF knows I eat healthy, have lost a lot of weight, and exercise, so just try to emphasize that to him if we're supposed to go somewhere and eat a big meal. Also that will help me hold myself accountable.
7. Avoid alcohol - take a drink and have a few sips, then dump it out when no one's looking.
8. Remember that Thanksgiving is just one meal.

Wow I wish we had a turkey trot! It sounds like we've got some good plans cooking, ladies. We can handle it.
Megan1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 06:45 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 198/150/140

The 5 mile run is in the Woodlands, just north of Houston. Apparently it's a pretty big race with cash prizes and all that so it would be cool. Good luck to all of you turkey trotters...that is a great idea!
lizzbabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 08:50 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 215/212.5/140

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdoggmartin
Well, since I'm the one cooking the dinner, that always makes me tend to eat less. I guess I just get tired of seeing the food, and I don't want anything to do with it when it comes time to eat it.
I am in the same situation... but my "plan of attack" is to go to the gym and work hard all month... then I plan on doing a family Turkey Trot (I am trying out a new tradition ) and then enjoy myself on Thanksgiving!! It is holiday for Pete's Sake!! If I can't enjoy myself every now and then, then I am just going to stay "fluffy"
Also, I cook the food, so I can cut a few corners
AutumnJoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 06:49 PM   #19  
Med Student

I'm running a 4 mile turkey trot on Thursday morning! Plus I'm in a long distance relationship and I'm not seeing him until Christmas, so I want to look great--very motivating to eat a lot less!
mdchick is offline   Reply With Quote