Old 10-04-2005, 06:56 PM   #1  
Stephanie

S/C/G: 236/135-140/More Fit

Height: 5'6"

Default Afraid to go back to the weight room

So I used to live at the gym. . .worked there, stregnth trained all the time and of course cardio. Since I gained weight I was afraid to go back, but I over came my fear a few weeks ago and started to do my cardio there instead of the treadmil or just tapes at home. I decided I need to add strength training into my routine and today is supposed to be the day I start, and I am scared to go into the weight room. I already went to get my cardio in this morning, and I thought after Oprah was over I would go to weights and I am starting to chicken out. I don't know why I am so scared. It's kinda a muscle head gym, more guys than girls, and all the girls are ripped (well I am sure that it's not all of them, but those are the ones I noticed). I feel so clumsy and fat going in there. On an old old forum I went on over a year ago this one chick was going off about how she "hates to see fat chicks in the weight room, it's like, go do cardio and lose the fat, this isn't doing you any good". I totally went off on her for that comment and never went back to the site, but ever since then I feel like there is someone watching me thinking that. I know how wonderful strength training is in so many ways, but I am so intimidated. By the time anyone reads this I will probably have already decided one way or the other, but I just had to vent. I am sure that if I go I will end up thinking I was dumb for being nervous. I know my way around a gym since I used to train, I guess I just feel embarassed about how fat I have gotten and as stupid as it is, I don't want people to judge me. I mean, a gym is there to get in shape, but I feel like I need to get in shape to go do weights again. It's the only thing missing from my routine. Ok, I am done, sorry to rant!!!
LockItUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 07:00 PM   #2  
clean eating chick

Height: 5'8

Go!

All the guys there are too busy checking themselves out in the mirror to worry about you! Plus you already know your way around...they'll all by impressed by your skill.
yesitsmeagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 07:18 PM   #3  
ButDoesntWannaLookLikeOne

S/C/G: 230/218/170

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockItUp
"hates to see fat chicks in the weight room, it's like, go do cardio and lose the fat, this isn't doing you any good".
Okay, so I hate her. CLEARLY she has no clue what the she's talking about. MUSCLE IS METABOLICALLY ACTIVE AND BURNS CALORIES EVEN AT REST, THEREFORE ONE OF THE BEST WAYS TO BOOST YOUR FAT LOSS IS WEIGHT TRAINING!!!!! I'm yelling at HER by the way, not you . I lost my first 25 lbs doing ONLY weight training and no cardio (NOT that I suggest that!)

This kind of thing drives me totally bananas because it's attitudes like her's that cause a lot of women not to weight train. Cardio does burn fat. Yup. At least the stupid got THAT right. BUT SO DOES MUSCLE. Again, I'm yelling at her, not you .

DO NOT be intimidated.

DO NOT feel inferior.

DO NOT sacrifice one of the best things you can do for your body because some people are ignorant, arrogant, and downright mean.

YOU know what's best for you.

YOU know your way around a weight room.

YOU are a strong woman who knows what she wants and how to get it.

Go do those weights, chickie. I know it's scary and intimidating, I really do. But look at it as just another challenge in your weight loss journey. YOU CAN DO IT!!
LovesBassets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 09:17 PM   #4  
Living the Laguna life...

PS Your ticker says you weigh 175...since when is that too fat to go into the weight room????
miss michelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 09:24 PM   #5  
Stephanie

Thanks everyone!!! I did go, and it was great!!! I am so glad that I went. Also just for "fun" i weighed myself on the 2 different scales there and one said I was a whole freaking 10 pounds lighter than my scale and the other said 4 pounds lighter. It doesn't really matter but it still make me happy even if I am 10 pounds more than the heaviest weighing scale in the world! MissMichelle, I know that I am not really too fat to go into the weight room, just feel that way, and also I tend to be one the dramatic side sometimes.

I knew that if I posted that I was thinking about not going, that I WOULD end up going because I would feel like a wimp if everyone knew I didn't go. So thank you again everyone, I feel AWESOME!!!
Old 10-04-2005, 09:37 PM   #6  
Moderator.:.20-Somethings

I'm glad you went!
trnsfrmnreplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 09:45 PM   #7  
ZenLizzie

S/C/G: 250/250/150

Height: 5'4

Great job for going!!
I used to stick to just machines because I was so intimidated by all the guys flexing and cooing over each other at the free weights. However, I got over it that by taking a sculpting class that taught me how to use them and ever since I have been getting up my courage to stand besides those meat heads at the free weights.
Doesn`t feeling strong feel amaaazing?
WastedThermos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 08:20 AM   #8  
Chuggin' along...

Stephanie,

You've already got a lot of good advice and been to the gym but I just wanted to add my two cents since I used to be afraid of the gym too (the whole gym, cardio and weights). I, like you, was SO happy once I started going and established my routine. Forget the other people at the gym. You are there for YOU! Hold your head high, be strong - you know what you're doing, and you know what you need to do. I know you'll keep going back!
Megan1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 10:09 AM   #9  
PACKERS FAN!

I'm so glad you went! (I second Basset's post) Some day, you'll walk in there and turn heads because people will be sayin' Woo Hoo! Who's that hottie! Press on girl!
fuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 10:21 AM   #10  
All That's Left of Me

I know the intimidation you feel! Often times I feel it too because I go to a university gym, and I swear to you, I am the ONLY fat person there. I feel icky and out of place, but then I think about how much I have accomplished since I began in July, and I wonder if all those skinny girls running on the treadmills could have done it? I don't think so! We're in the same boat girl...We CAN do it!!!
amandaholly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 12:52 PM   #11  
Stephanie

I'll tell ya girls, going yesterday really gave me a new motivational sense!!! That and it also inspired me to get a new scale!!! Since it's new and more expensive than the other one and more fancy maybe it's more accurate. I thought, well the worst thing that could happen is that I will be heavier and so I went into the bathroom and weighed myself first on the old scale then on the new scale and it was 5 pounds less on the new scale. Since I was so much less on both scales at the gym yesterday too, I guess it's most likely that the old one is wrong. It has a body fat thing too, man that was higher than I thought it would be!!! Anyway.

I am so soar this morning, but I am excited for my next round, hopefully I won't be so soar tomorrow so I can do weights again. I am so glad that I went!!! Thank you girls for all your support!!!