Old 10-04-2005, 10:43 AM   #31  
Chuggin' along...

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesitsmeagain
That's so interesting, because I (and I've heard a lot of other people saying this)
have no concept of how thin I am. When I look in a mirror I always see FAT and I don't think I'll ever stop seeing that.
I totally feel the same way - but when I was at my heaviest, I also didn't feel that fat, I thought I was skinnier. I don't think I've ever had an accurate self-perception. Will I ever?

I hate that when I'm with my BF, there's this constant fear that if I regain weight he'll dump me (and I don't have enough confidence to believe that 1. I can keep the weight off for sure and 2. If he dumps me for that reason I'm better off without him anyway). He never knew me when I was heavier, and I haven't even shown him pictures. Sure he /says/ he likes me the way I am, and he doesn't seem like that kind of person... but what if?

Jillybean, I know a few skinny people who've never been overweight who do beat themselves up when they /think/ they've eaten too much for the day (still less than what I eat in a day). I want to shake them - it's like they don't understand the freedom they could have if they just forgot about food, since they don't naturally tend towards chubbiness. I would give anything for that freedom!
Megan1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 02:15 PM   #32  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

I think my self image has always been "overweight" but not "obese." I have thought I was fat since I was a little kid, even when I wasn't overweight. I've been overweight for a large portion of my life though. But still it was a shock to me when I calculated my BMI and it said "obese" instead of just "overweight"!! It was like, I knew I was fat, but I didn't think I was THAT fat! Nowadays I still see "fat" in the mirror, I haven't really gotten in touch with my thin self yet.

As for things that suck about being overweight . . . Who was it who mentioned covering up the roll when you sit down? I totally used to do that! I would actually sit down, then pull up the waist on my jeans to cover my roll.

Other things that suck about being overweight:
- fear of tank tops exposing the granny flab
- inability to keep up with friends (I was always the "can we sit down for a minute?" girl)
- becoming whiny . . . I have always been whiny, but I used to rant and rave whenever I went shopping with my thin friends. "They just don't make jeans cut for women with curves," or "Why do they always have size 0 and 2 but never size 12 and 14?" or "Ugh, I could never wear that," etc. Whether or not it's true, I'm sure my friends were like "OMG, will she shut up already?" And I would always say it as if it was a fact of nature that I was overweight and entirely not my fault. Yeah right, I am the one who shoved all that food in my mouth!
- The exit row on airplanes. I sat in the exit row one time -- did you know that in the exit row the tray table comes out of your arm rest? The flight attendant had to help me shove it down level where it poked into my stomach and my big belly covered half of the surface of it. How embarrassing!
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 02:23 PM   #33  
Stephanie

S/C/G: 236/135-140/More Fit

Height: 5'6"

Paperclippy-the same thing happened to me with BMI. I always thought I was fat even when I wasn't, but at 190 my BMI was in the obese range, it was practically unbelievable. Fat, ok whatever, Obese, oh my god. Thank the lord I am only considered Overweight now, but still it was shocking!

Another thing I hate is feeling like a ginormous ogre next to short and skinny people. I am 5'6" and 175 and my mom and sister are like 5'2" and like 115 at the most. I feel like a freak when I stand next to them in public!
LockItUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 03:12 PM   #34  

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockItUp
Another thing I hate is feeling like a ginormous ogre next to short and skinny people. I am 5'6" and 175 and my mom and sister are like 5'2" and like 115 at the most. I feel like a freak when I stand next to them in public!
I cannot believe I left this one out of mine. My mom is 5' tall and 105 lbs, I look like I could bench press her standing next to her. But even worse is my grandma who's 4' 11" and 90 lbs soaking wet. I'm not that much taller than them but I feel like a cow whenever I'm next to them. The list actually also includes my two aunts who are the same size as my mom.

I don't get it. My mom is thin, my dad is thin, my brother is thin (eats like a horse with the fastest metabolism in the world) and I'm not. My brother has always eaten 10 times the amount of food I do and never gained a pound and if he did, he takes it off like it's nothing. This should have been first on my list. My thin family, it may sound mean, but sometimes I do hate them.
byebigbutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 07:20 PM   #35  

S/C/G: 270/235/TBD

Height: 5'4

In addition to my pants wearing out between my thighs, I also hate how if I wear a skirt I get a rash there, even if I wear pantyhose (in fact that can make it worse). It wasn't until about 3 years ago that I found some nice shapers (that are really more like soft biker shorts) that I can wear under skirts. By that point I had not worn a skirt in about 5 years.

I hate how business suits are difficult to find unless you go online. Clothing manufacturers seem to think that if you are fat then you couldn't possibly work in the business world. And these days Lane Bryant only seems to sell trendy stuff.
ElisabethCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 04:42 AM   #36  
Bida Bida Bida

Height: 5'6''

oh fantastic point Elisabeth
the rubbing factor with skirts - yeah I have totally gone to wearing biker shorts with my skirts. come to think of it, i haven't worn a skirt in a while - gotta change that gotta get into my biker shorts ick - I am lazy these days though - what with the shaving my legs and all

and the BMI thing - yes I am fat, but obese? no, my mom is obese - not me! and I am def not my mom (she is also shorter than I am, heavier than I am, and has always, as long as I have known her, carried the weight way differently than I have (partially because I was always pretty active growing up.)
bida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 10:42 AM   #37  
PACKERS FAN!

Ohmylanta!!! This is so sadistic, but I have been laughing with just about every post I've read because I can relate to each one!! I don't know why I find it funny, but I laughed really hard at Dee's post about mirrors at the gym. No kidding!! I get so disgusted seeing myself jiggle and bounce, yet I'm laughing as I type this?? What is wrong with me?? I think I'm in denial.

Oh I can't wait to put on a skirt and not feel like I just doubled in size. I HATE skirts right now.

I can identify in a slightly different way with the body image thing. I was a 6/8 in HS, but then put on the freshmen 15+ and the mandatory marriage weight (they say you gain weight when you're happy--Fat & Happy). Even though I know how horribly my clothes fit and I keep having to move up the size chart, for some reason when I go clothes shopping (maybe twice a year) I see something really cute and expect to see the old me in the mirror. My subconsious keeps telling me that the cute clothing will make my lumps go away. (Off subject, has anyone heard that Lovely Lady Lumps song? I don't know what it's called or who sings it, but every time I hear it, I laugh 'cause I think of fat bulges rather than "all that breast") Anyway. I just want the old me back!!!

Maybe this is a good thread to keep adding to. Negative incentive. We don't want to deal with this crap anymore!!
fuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 12:59 PM   #38  
Stephanie

S/C/G: 236/135-140/More Fit

Height: 5'6"

FULLER-That song is by the Blackeyed Peas, isn't it hilarious, I always get it stuck in my head! My hump, my hump, my hump, my hump, my lovely lady lumps...

Ok another thing I hate is bra fat excess, or as I like to call it...my UGLY lady lumps!!! At one point, the fat sticking out from under the back of the bra was bigger than my boobs! Or when my other old bras got too small and I had quad-boobs (the bra cutting into the middle of the boob making it flap over the cup of the bra leaving the appearance of 4 boobs). Could I say boobs anymore in one paragraph?
LockItUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 02:06 PM   #39  
I like jewelry.

Height: 5'7"

Hmm, for me it's having my body not be me... as in, I was always a medium-build, and now I'm not, and that feels like I'm not me anymore. What hurts the worst is knowing that I'm the one who made myself this way.

Having friends look at you in a certain way, because you've gained so much weight...

Arms that are bigger than a lot of guys', and not in a good way...
TBJ333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 02:37 PM   #40  
ZenLizzie

S/C/G: 250/250/150

Height: 5'4

Two more things I hate... the first is people calling me fat as an insult.My ex's new girl friend did this recently [stupid fat btch , actually], and it reminded me of being in grade school. Why is it that I'm not as pissed about the stupid btch part?

Anyway.. and the second one is major for me...

BACK FAT.

I guess I'm lucky that I don't carry a lot of weight in my belly, but I feel like back fat is even worse. When I stand up straight it gets yuckier, not better! How can I look hot from the front and then turn around and have rolls of back fat??
Luckily, that seems to be one area that responds to weightloss pretty quickly, so hopefully I won't have back fat rolls too much longer.
WastedThermos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 04:04 PM   #41  

S/C/G: 262/259.2/160

Height: 5'6

Ok I have been lurking around this thread and after giving it some thought I decided I would go ahead and share the things that I hate most about being overweight.

#1. I hate that I don't feel like the happy girl I used to be. She is inside me but just afraid to be herself because she is soo caught up with trying not to have people notice how she looks.

#2. I think i am in denial? I look in the mirror and I do see a big girl but when I step on the scale I think - there is Nooo wayy I look that big. (anyone watch biggest loser - some of those girls weigh less than me but i swear that I look smaller than them - is that possible to weigh more but look smaller)

#3. I hate - hate - hate - haaaaate it when people open their mouths and blurt out their assumption that I am pregnant. Last year I had 3 people ask me that within a matter of 3months. wow that was majorly depressing.

#4. I think it is more of an insult than a compliment when people say "you have such a pretty face". I find it an insult. Makes me wanna just say "yeah isnt it a shame that it has to tag along with this body!!!!!"

#5. I too hate it when I lay on my side and my husband lays behind and wraps his arm around to cuddle me - and there hangs my bulge of fat from my stomach.

#6. I hate how I feel guilty with every shred of food that enters my mouth. Like I feel like I don't deserve to eat since I am overweight. Mind Games - hate them!

well i am sure that i could go on and on and on but i will leave it at that for now.

Kari
kl_life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 05:00 PM   #42  
Big-time loser

S/C/G: 306.6/247.2/156-164

Height: 5'8"

Ahhh - attack of the quadra-boobs! I HATE that. Me and my best friend are both VERY well endowed women and we could b.s. about that all night over a bottle of wine and box of pizza... hmmm, is that why I'm here?
jenicra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 07:22 PM   #43  

I have been lurking but have some more hates! (yes i agree to all that have been posted as well) but some more to add! i am 5 11! talk about feeling like a big giant hippo next to anyone! size 11 shoes (almost impossible to buy)

My biggest biggest hate, a little embarrassing that it may be, is my pathetic pelvic floor muscles! I love running on the treadmill , and going for a run but trying to control the pelvic floor muscles! I have lost a lot thus far (was 280 now about 214!) but still the worse is that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I find pants rub has gotten a lot better, and i no longer notice much! I have pathetic b cup boobs, so i dont have the sweat thing there.

Yes I have tried pelvic floor excersises everyday, but still! it is annoying!!

Another hate, is really really craving some food and being with friends and not being able to stop eating it! the looks they give is like,, no wonder your fat!

At my biggest the seatbelt not fitting was a shocker!! and going to a theme park and not being game to get in the rides.!!

Cheers all!
Sonja
icedragon6669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 10:47 PM   #44  
Determined

My biggest hate has got to be just being embarrassed about how I look. It has so affected my life. I don't go out as much, I don't dress the same, I have a hard time getting excited about dating. That's what I look forward to most about losing this weight, is just getting back to ME, instead of basing everything I do, wear and feel on my weight.

PS - just want to clarify - I don't think I'm a worse person for gaining the weight, it just impacts what I'm capable of in life, and I can't wait for that not to be limited by my weight.
happydaisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 03:27 PM   #45  

Red face

I think I found the worst of all my worsts about being overweight. Slides. They aren't made for big people. I work at my daughters school watching the kids during lunch and recess. I attempted to go down one of the slides. What was I thinking. I should've known just looking at the thing that I wouldn't be able to fit my ginormous butt cheeks down it. But no, I had to try anyway. The kids watched as I squirmed my way down, I imagine it looked something like a hippo trying to fit through a snake hole. I could've died. I wish I had a picture of it so I could look back after I lose the weight and remember when I couldn't fit down a slide.
byebigbutt is offline   Reply With Quote