Old 08-09-2005, 08:23 PM   #1  
Stephanie

S/C/G: 236/135-140/More Fit

Height: 5'6"

Unhappy Why is it so hard? Really?!

I just wanted to know if anyone has any insight as to why it is so hard to work towards something that you really want (a body to be proud of), when it's seemingly easy (eat better/less and move more)??????? I mean, does it really come down to, that I like to eat more than I would like a nice body (and not to mention, a healthy one)? What is it?

Just curious.
LockItUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 09:00 PM   #2  

It's called instant gratification. Eating provides a temporary instant gratification especially during those times of emotional eating. Losing weight, however is a slow process that evolves not necessarily from us being disciplined, but dedicated to being healthy. God only knows I wish that there were really such a pill that we could take and "poof" it's gone. I would be the number one customer if it did exist. Hang in there, and keep using this site for accountability. We can motivate each other!!
hollybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 10:42 PM   #3  
Co-Mod

S/C/G: 272/129/127

I know... it sounds so easy when put like that.
"You want to lose weight? Then eat less and take more exercise."
But sometimes it isn't that easy. I mean, yeah if you did eat less and move more you should be losing.... but when you are tired or when that cookie is evilly sitting right in front of you..... yeah, you give into self-gratification.
shrinkingchica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 08:18 AM   #4  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

I think part of it comes to habits and how we were raised, too. Food has always been used as a reward for me (in school, get good grades and the class has a pizza/ice cream party or candy reward...have a rough day, parents take me to McDonald's, etc...), so when something good happens in my lie, my first reaction is, let's get a cake! or ice cream! or go out to dinner! These habits are insanely difficult to change and sometimes overpower my desire to be thinner.
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 11:05 AM   #5  
All That's Left of Me

Okay, I'm going to play the bad guy here and relay what I have learned from biblical research and my ministry classes...it's short and simple. The human body is addictive and it's flawed, our spirit grieves us...we are extremely self-destructive beings. Think about all of the self-destructive things that we do to ourselves. Instead of using this as a strength, and pouring it into God (we were afterall created to be "addicted" to Him) we misplace it into other things, like food, alcohol, smoking, drugs, etc. The problem with these addictions are that they are the polar opposite of what was intended for us (unconditional love, a feeling of security, a one-on-one relationship with our creator), so in the yearning to fill that void we tend to overcompensate with those bad addictions to the point of excess. Unfortunately, they only provide a short-term fix, if that. This is the verse that I have posted on the front of my refrigerator, "Man does not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of God". I read it every time I dive in for something to eat...and it does help to keep me in check!

DISCLAIMER: A lot of times when I speak about God, or try to tie an issue into the bible, people get defensive and think that I am implying that they don't already have a knowledge of God. In no way do I intend to relay that idea. I have been involved in formal biblical training for a few years now and I simply like to share what I have learned when it pertains to, or could shed light on, a specific topic. Peace.

Amanda
amandaholly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 02:41 PM   #6  
Going all the way!!!

S/C/G: 183/183/130

Height: 5'2"

I thought that was a great reply Amanda...I'm not in a position to take biblical training and am not sure I feel called to it, but I would love to nonetheless! I don't care what anyone says...this weight loss journey is as much spiritual as physical and we have to feed BOTH the right things to get and stay healthy. I'm in your religious corner girl. LOL

P.S. We pretty much have the same weight loss goals too, I'm just 4 in. shorter...if you ever want to PM...!
TheNewChristy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 02:48 PM   #7  
All That's Left of Me

Thanks Christy! Yep, we should keep in touch! Too bad you're in Georgia and I'm in Michigan, otherwise we could do lunch. My plan is to eventually move to Tennessee, in or around Chattanooga (my brother and his family live there), so by then we should be pretty close. I also have family in Atlanta (police officer, comes in handy if I ever get pulled over down there). Anyways, keep it goin' girl...we can do it! And stay in touch!

Amanda
Old 08-11-2005, 04:28 PM   #8  
Mikey's girl

Off subject, but amanda where at in michigan are you?? I live there to. Maybe you're close?
JustForUs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 04:48 PM   #9  
Proud US Navy Wife

Ugh! I know what you mean.. when I was little I was extremely active, so if I ate alot it didn't matter because.. I was a kid, I played. But I didn't eat alot because I was the world's most picky eater (still am) Around the age of 10 I realized I liked food... turned to it more and more when I realized kids didn't like me.. and I didn't go out to play nearly as much.. POOF 10 years later and here I am (though the plus side is I get to chat with you wonderful ladies!) wondering how the **** I let myself get like this and groaning at the amount of work it will take to get rid of it. See pretty ticker at the bottom? I haven't lost a thing yet.. I just have it there for motivation. All your counters motivate me too!

Sometimes I just wish it was easier...
FaeReverie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 05:21 PM   #10  
Stephanie

S/C/G: 236/135-140/More Fit

Height: 5'6"

Hey Fae, we should buddy up!!!
LockItUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 09:58 AM   #11  
I like jewelry.

Height: 5'7"

Yes, food is an addiction. Food affects our brains just as much as some drugs that are used to treat depression. Eat more comfort foods, like simple carbs, and you get a high.

Also, the instant gratification thing. Right this moment, if we eat some cookies, we'll be happy, but if we don't eat the cookies, we won't immediately lose a pound. The pay-off for a healthy lifestyle is long-term, while the happiness from food comes right away.

I battle instant-gratification temptation by making my goals really, really small, so that I am rewarded relatively soon. When I feel a craving, I try on "indicator clothes," so that I can see how much I've been rewarded, because odds are the clothes fit better than they did just a few days ago. Also, I hope for weight loss on a weekly basis, rather than wishing it were all gone right away. Hopefully those experiences can help others who are fighting the instant-gratification battle.
TBJ333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 10:24 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 264/190/150

Height: 5'8"

It does sound easy, eat less move more but really its not that easy. Or at least for me, my body get used to what I am doing so I have to constantly change my program to keep losing, like excersise more or different, and eat different foods when sometimes that just can't happen. Some times I am to busy to change my excersise routine so I find I'll plataue if I just keep doing the same old thing. Know what I mean, so while I have pretty much figured out eat less move more enough to maintain and not gain back, it is still a challenge to figure out how to keep losing. Plus, sometimes, I just don't want to think about it and that is when the instant gratification stuff tends to happen.
jennie934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 10:42 AM   #13  
All That's Left of Me

JustForUs - I'm in Rochester Hills...a suburb of Detroit. Where are you at???

EDIT: Oh, duh!!! I see you're in Brownstone. Where on the glove is that *Amanda asks, like a first grader just learning the shape of the state she lives in*

Amanda

Last edited by amandaholly; 08-13-2005 at 10:44 AM.