Old 04-27-2005, 11:55 AM   #1  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Default Anyone else have such a long road ahead?

Hey guys!

I'm 22 years old and have been posting on these boards for a few months now. Many of the people I communicate with here on 3FC are older, so I thought maybe I could find some people within my own age group (not that I don't absolutely love the older ladies as well, of course!). I just figured people my own age would have a better sense of what I'm going through.

I didn't gain weight suddenly or from having children or from drinking in college--I have been obese my whole life. I now weigh a little over 300 pounds and am only 5'5! I wear a size 22 or 24 pants and a size 28 shirt (I have a freakish amount of back fat--eew!). I have such a long way to go, and I was curious if anyone else here does, too. I know it's hard to lose weight whether you have to lose 5 pounds, 20 pounds, or 150 pounds, but the more you have to lose, the more hopeless it seems.

My sister is getting married on April 22, 2006, and I will be the maid of honor. I want to look good--I want my dress to look like a dress and not a trash bag! I would like to say I want to lose 100 pounds by then, but i know a more realistic goal might be, say, 70 pounds? I mean, I know 100 can be done in a year, but I don't want to set a goal too high and be depressed when I can't reach it. I weigh in tomorrow (Thursday morning is my weekly weigh-in), so I'll start a ticker to keep track of my "wedding day" progress (even though it's not my wedding day ).

I look forward to meeting some of you on here. Wishing you luck in staying on plan for today!
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 01:28 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 260/209/150

Height: 5'6"

You can do it! I have about a hundred to lose....it does seem hopeless. I always do really well for 3 weeks or so, and then quit. I'm not sure why, but I'm working on figuring that out. I too have been overweight about 18 of my 23 years in this world. Right now I'm on a down swing, but I feel an up swing coming A girl on another message board I frequent just hit her 100lb mark in under a year...her year would be in July. It was incredibly inspiring to see the before and after pictures. It's amazing what could change in a year....I wish I could do that! Maybe that's my problem...I only wish
Jessie_777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 01:33 PM   #3  
Eating for two!

A year seems like a such a short time span when you think about the big picture, but I think the reason it's so hard is that we want instant gratification. I want what I want when I want it, and I want it now! I do the same thing as you--I do awesomely well for a while, then suddenly just resort back to eating whatever. I just need to have the patience and know that I need to wait longer than just a few weeks to see real results.
Old 04-27-2005, 01:35 PM   #4  

You can do it! I agree with Jessie 777, I too usually diet and exercise for about 3 weeks and then lose motivation. Thankfully I'm on week 4 so that's a good sign. I don't have as much weight to lose as you do but I'm a VERY slow loser (1/2-1 pound a week) and I have about 40 or 50 pounds to lose. I've always been overweight but boomed after I got married and went to college. I was always in the 150s but gained to my high weight of 207. I'm glad you have a long term goal but I think a short term goal or two would be a good idea too. Maybe lose 6 pounds by Memorial Day or whatever number you think is good. I also have mini-rewards if I make my goals which may keep you motivated. Not only are you doing the right thing to make yourself look and feel better but you are getting healthier and will feel better about the exercise and diet the more you do. My husband needs to lose about 150 pounds and he gets discouraged sometimes but he just keeps going. I try to motivate him and you can use us for motivation....whenever you don't feel like exercising, come on here and we'll motivate you!!! Just do it!!! Since he has so much to lose, he's really seeing it on the scale right now which is helping a lot. Just hang in there. As you get closer to the wedding just see how you goal may change....maybe you haven't lost as much as you would like in December....either step up your exercise or lower your goal then. As long as you are losing, that's all that matters!!

Good luck!
AmberM
AmberM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 01:42 PM   #5  

I'm such an instant gratification kinda girl I think I need to do some mini goals...maybe my discouraged outlook is from the overwhelming number....100 lbs. Thanks...I just had a little lightbulb moment
Old 04-27-2005, 04:53 PM   #6  
Losing 1/2 of Myself

S/C/G: 324/195/170

Height: 5'9"

Hey Jill hang in there! I too am in my 20's and was overweight in middle & high school and obese all through my 20's. I've lost almost 50 pounds in just under 5 months! I'm very shocked and elated with myself for actually doing it. I really just decided one day that there was no more putting it off or waiting for tomorrow... I got on plan and STAYED there. When I have a week that I maintain, I up my exercise my 1 miniute on the elliptical and still stay on the same eating plan and I am rewarded with a good dip in weight by the next weigh in day. I have to be strict with myself or I'll quit doing well as I've done in the past and gain it all back. I pack my lunch and snacks EVERYDAY even day's I don't work! If it's not in my lunchbox I do not eat it!!! If I'm going out for dinner I plan ahead; look up what they offer before you go so you can decide if it fits in your plan before the deep fried deamons look too tasty when you're there and hungry! Eat more fruits and veges before you go out for a meal, you'll feel more full and be less likely to overeat! I exercise 6 days a week for 40 mins, I also can't deviate from this rule for me or I'll quit all together. I know from other boards that you have an extreemly BUSY schedule and that will be dificult to work around. You have to put yourself and your health first! have you thought about getting a pedometer to wear at your second job? You couls track your movement to see if your getting close to your 10000 steps per day while your getting paid?! A pedometer also works for me to want to move around more just to see progress! I know you can do anything you put your mind too, you're a very bright and fabulous woman! If you want to be sexy and sassy for the wedding you will be!
treefrogtoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 04:53 PM   #7  
Not giving up!!

S/C/G: 323/200/175

Height: 5'8

Yes I too have a long way to go I have also been overweight about my whole life and having kids only added to my weight!! I am very determined this time to be one of the slim girls!! I wish you luck in your weight loss!

Last edited by ~~Sunshine~~; 04-28-2005 at 06:39 PM.
~~Sunshine~~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 06:23 AM   #8  
Eating for two!

Thanks for the support and ideas, everyone! I am proud to say that I stepped on my scale this morning to find (drum roll please)...

300 pounds even! I started at 310.5, so to get below 300 was my first little goal for myself. Seeing such a big drop on the scale (I think I was at 304 last week) is quite encouraging, like something I have been doing has finally caught up with me! I never thought getting below 300 pounds would be something I would even have to worry about, but here I am, and now I'll never have to worry about it again, because I won't be over 300 ever again!

Next stop: 8 pounds by Memorial Day.

I never even thought about a pedometer to use during work--what a great idea! That way I have a better idea of how much I am actually moving (especially since I haven't been to the gym in 2 weeks--infection in my foot makes it hurt to put on even socks, let alone sneakers!).
Old 04-28-2005, 10:05 AM   #9  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

Hi Jill! Congrats on the 10lbs lost already!!! As for your long-term goals, don't be too discouraged by the number. Maybe if you set small goals for yourself (10-20 lbs at a time) it will seem a lot easier. Also, the heavier you start out, the quicker the weight comes off in the beginning! Think about it as a percentage of your body weight. If you want to lose 10% of your body weight, that would be 30 lbs, where for someone who only weighs 130, 10% is only 13 lbs, and it is much harder to lose.

Good luck! Keep us updated on your progress!
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 10:48 AM   #10  
Eating for two!

They always say it comes off easier in the beginning, but I have been at this since about mid-January and have just now hit the 10 pounds lost. How frustrating! But, back to the same ol' routine...
Old 04-28-2005, 11:24 AM   #11  
Megan

S/C/G: 200/138/133

Height: 5'5"

hi jilly! welcome and great job so far!!!

i know what you mean about it coming off faster in the beginning... well, i lost 5 pounds the first week i started and then lost appoximately 1/2 pound every week after! and thats an average because one week i would lose nothing, the next week 2 pounds... that kind of stuff.

anyway, although i am sorta close to goal (yay!), i understand what you say about a long road ... my HW i dont have in my signature, but its a lot higher than my SW. So its been a long road for me. and now, its a long CONTINUING road because i have to work my butt off every day to maintain it.

anyway im glad you are here and hope to 'see' more of you!!!
NYCT1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 12:19 PM   #12  
Big-time loser

S/C/G: 306.6/247.2/156-164

Height: 5'8"

Hey Jill - keep it up! It's all about persistance!
jenicra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 01:26 PM   #13  

Thumbs up

Wooo! Thats awesome Jilly!
Old 04-28-2005, 02:32 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 264/190/150

Height: 5'8"

Hi Jill, good job on the loss. I know the feeling, I never thought I would be at the weight I am at either so I'm happy I am down but I'm still in shock that I weigh so much. does that make sense.
I started losing slowly as well. I started in December and only lost about 12 pounds until this month. I reasssesed and decided that I had to get this weight off. I get discouraged easily but I am not letting my self slip. I have set a mini goal of 20 pounds but my total goal is 80 and I want to do it in a little over a year. I think we both can do it, keep at it and we will.
jennie934 is offline   Reply With Quote