Old 03-10-2005, 06:55 PM   #1  

Unhappy I'm stuck.

I'm extremely frustrated right now and I hope someone has some advice for me.

I completely overhauled my life about 8 weeks ago. I started on a 1500 calorie and under diet, most often staying under 1200. I started working out, and I now spend an hour a day in the gym. I do 10 mins stretching, 30 mins on the elliptical and 20 of weights.

Here's my problem: I'M NOT LOSING ANY WEIGHT. In 8 weeks, I have lost 7 pounds. I haven't lost any at all in nearly 3 weeks. I'm sure you can understand my frustration. I'm getting to the point of desperation.

I don't think I could survive on any less food, and I'm doing all I can in the gym. I was thinking of stopping my weight training and concentrating on more cardio.

Any suggestions? If you've experienced this, how did you get off your plateau? I appreciate anything you have to say!
pinkpolopony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 07:53 PM   #2  
Big-time loser

S/C/G: 306.6/247.2/156-164

Height: 5'8"

Pink - EAT GIRL! You say that you usually eat under 1200 calories - that means that you are starving your body. Right now, your body is keeping every bit of food you are giving it because it doesn't know what's going on - your body thinks that it's starving! Try eating around 1400 cals. day and see if your body responds better - I bet you it will! I think that your exercise levels sound fine - and no, you can't survive on any less food.
jenicra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 08:21 PM   #3  

I'm usually around 1200-1500, depending on day of the week, etc. Someone suggested I go as high as 1800-2000 to get my body out of starvation mode... I tried this for a week (many times going all out and eating whatever I wanted) and nothing, still.

Maybe my body is just mad at me for being fat for so long, and now it's punishing me, haha!
Old 03-10-2005, 08:39 PM   #4  
Big-time loser

Okay, good, I'm glad that your range is more reasonable. Do you drink water? If not, try drinking about 64 oz. a day or so.
I'm sure that you will eventually break through this plateau if you keep tweaking what you are doing - mixing up calories, food choices, exercises, etc.
Old 03-10-2005, 08:55 PM   #5  

I drink about 48oz a day from the various sources I can calculate-- 2 16oz bottles of water and a few cups of Crystal Light in the evening. I drink one diet soda daily-- I need the caffeine in the afternoon at work!

Another downfall of mine is that I can't eat salad. I just can not stomach it. I've tried three times in the last eight weeks and I have thrown up or gagged each time. The flavor of raw greens and tomatoes makes me sick, I know it might sound weird, but I just can not do it!

Thanks for your help.
Old 03-10-2005, 09:36 PM   #6  
Big-time loser

Haha - I'm a vegetarian and I hate lettuce and tomatoes. Occasionally, I can stomach a good romaine or spinach leaf for a few bites, but I'm not a fan either! I sure wish I was though!
Old 03-10-2005, 11:53 PM   #7  
Niccole

You are probably gaining muscle mass as well-- and that weighs more than fat but is so good cause muscles burn calories--
I am going through the same thing-- the scale isn't moving... BUT I know that I am more HEALTHY and thats a sign of progress too..
Also someone told me that the slower the weight comes off the more likely you are too keep it off-- it shows that you are making your changes long term and that you are sticking with it.
Niccole2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 03:25 AM   #8  

I think you're likely gaining muscle...Have you tried measuring inches? I've often found that you will lose either pounds or inches. If you find you're losing inches, you likely would be less frustrated.

But I know the feeling, I've been doing going to the gym 3-5 times/week for almost two months, and have only lost 2 lbs!
Ivory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 04:12 PM   #9  
But Want The Body Too!!

MEASURE MEASURE MEASURE!!!! I lost 9 pounds in March but I lost 18 inches total!!!! I agree that you wont be as frustrated if you measure.. I decided to take measurements when i wasnt losing weight like I wanted.. And I noticed a difference weekly in measurements!
Beautiful_Inside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 08:15 PM   #10  

Hey, have you tried adding more protein into your diet? I heard not having enough proteins could also put your body into starvation mode so if you eat 1200-1500 calories a day with enough protein, it might help if that is the problem. Good luck

Last edited by DaisyJ; 04-03-2005 at 08:51 PM.
DaisyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 08:47 PM   #11  
Sorry I'm not a Barbie

I agree with the inches thing.. i have only lost 2 pounds in the last little while, but i had to steal Dh's belt yesterday to keep my pants on... I have decided to stay away from the scale, and head over to the tape measure!!
tlprocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 08:54 PM   #12  

I agree that WATER WATER WATER is a big help to break a stall. Also look for diet busters that might be creeping into your menu. A classic diet buster is too much cheese. I've was on a stall for the last 3 weeks...up and down the same 5 or 6 lbs and completely eliminated cheese for a week and I finally started losing agin (ok, it was just 1 lb but at least it came off). Those fake sweeteners in candy, etc. can be another diet buster.

Post a couple days of your typical menus here and let's see if something jumps out.

As much as I'm sure you don't want to hear it (because I hate it when people say this to me)....be patient. Stick with your plan and stay away from the scale. Even if you only loose 2 or 3 lbs in a MONTH it's better than going in the other direction right?
halfame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 07:50 PM   #13  
Becomming a Monster

S/C/G: 329/253/210

Height: 6'0

well normally it takes 3 months for the body to react fully to a new excersise regieme so plug away. try altering your program warm up then weights followed by cardio (this helps fulsh the lactic acid and other crap from your muscles by flushing with blood then finish off by stretching while your warm imagine muscles life toffee. when cold you can snap itn but when hot you can stretch and stretch and strech. also try upping your cardio time to 40+ mins as this is when fat burning kicks in and go at 65% of max heart rate (modern machines can do this for you) bare in mind that your weight will fluctuate daily based an a huge number of variable the amount of water consumed or not consumed the amount of salt you had the day before the weight you lifted the day before all these things cause fluctuations. another good tip read! search for fat loss tips and research so you know what causes the best loss feed your mind and your body 1200 calories? thats like breakfast
slimmingsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 09:45 PM   #14  
Angie

ha ha.. 1200 calories-like breakfast. That made my night a little better!

Everyone has such good advice and I will be another to plug the tape measure. I hit a plateau but the inches are just a-rollin' off! The best thing that you did is come in here and ask for help! it means that you still have hope and have not completely given up yet! You are a strong woman who is going to win this fight! You just need to belive in yourself and you will be able to do it! Keep posting- I cannot belive the amount of support that this group gives!!!

Last edited by angelfadedblue; 04-06-2005 at 09:58 PM.
angelfadedblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2005, 04:19 PM   #15  

I am definitely off the plateau and back to losing steadily again, thanks to the advice of everyone.

I am unable to do more than 30 mins of cardio because my gym only has a few machines, which have a 24 minute limit on them. I manage to do 30 by hoping there isn't a waiting list, but beyond that, I feel guilty. Also, by the time I do my full hour in the gym, it's past 6pm and if I don't get home and get going, I won't eat dinner until 8.

Things are working again now, though. I'm down 3 pounds in the last two weeks. Thanks again, everyone!