Old 12-02-2004, 10:23 PM   #16  
Megan

S/C/G: 200/138/133

Height: 5'5"

jocelyn - i guess im not too offended. i get offended easily though so don't take it personally. i actually dont have a problem with thin girls saying they are fat, because i was one of them at one point. and i actually thought i was fat, so of course i agree that people of all shapes and sizes can have negative body image. so, i dont make comments to my friends when they say that. i lived with them - believe me, i know they have issues, lol. this body image thing is what i've been trying to overcome for... hmm, all my life maybe?? haha. my main point was that living with my friends was stressful for me because everyone seemed to have eating issues, and everyone was always comparing and talking about weight. its much easier now that we live apart.
NYCT1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 10:58 AM   #17  
Building my Body for Life

I know what you mean - I've been there too. I used to live with a crazy chick who would eat nothing but cereal. Weird, huh?

I think the important thing to remember is that everyone is different. People are motivated in different ways - some healthy and some not so healthy. Whenever possible, we should try to surround ourselves with positive people. I sometimes wonder if there are many of those left.

In conclusion, I didn't mean my response to be a personal attack in any way. I think you have great advice and life experience! I was only trying to present both sides of an issue.

Have a great day!
Jocelyn
Fitchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 11:30 AM   #18  
Megan

S/C/G: 200/138/133

Height: 5'5"

i wasnt really offended!!! it is a good thing to see two sides of an issue. it is easy to forget that other people have problems, too.
NYCT1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 12:40 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 274/?/175

Height: 5'8

Add me to the list! I find it kind of hard- I strongly dislike "dorm life" and found out to my dismay that my school isn't allowing anyone to live off campus after this year- I was really looking forward to my senior year in an apartment, cooking for myself, etc- it seems like it would be so much easier diet wise, woe is i.

Anyway, I go to a really small school so we only have one main dining hall and a takeout type place. The hardest part is when something looks good (which often it doesn't!) it's hard to resist or take in small quantities.

What I try to do is have a small salad with a little bit of olive oil and vinegar, then a veggie burger or turkey/tuna sandwich. I have a list of "staple foods" in case I feel like I might go overboard, I can fall back on those. Most importantly, i TRY to not go out to eat too often. Oh, and as for keeping food in my room, I can't do it unless it's fruit, becuase if I'm up late studying I graze like heck. If you go to a larger uni, they probably have a good deal of exercise options- which would be nice, because then it's right there and you don't have to drive over etc. This isn't exactly new info but thought I'd add my perspective. everyone has some nic eadvice.

fitchick, you shouldn't be ashamed to talk openly about your weight- I don't think anyone will judge you, and if they do, it's not their place. I don't think that's what Tanny meant at all. I know my best friend is skinny and talks about how she wants to lipo her back fat. It's kind of hurtful because it's like "look at who you're talking to, I'm three times your size here." Lots of times thinner people who talk about their weight don't do so tactfully- it's important for us all to remember that we have our own issues and insecurities and we should just be supportive of each other despite our differences. I understand both sides here
djs06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 04:57 PM   #20  
Living the Laguna life...

I totally know what you all mean! When I was in junior high, it probably seemed like I had a great body image because I NEVER talked about my weight like the other girls...because I was SO much more uncomfortable with it! Even now I don't talk about wanting to lose weight with people

quick question: I like to eat power bars/energy bars, that kind of thing for breakfast because they are easy to pack and i don't need to refrigerate them. do you have any low calorie or low sugar suggestions? a lot of them i find too chocolatey and sugary for a breakfast!

Thanks!
miss michelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 07:28 PM   #21  
Building my Body for Life

I enjoy the Balance Gold Caramel Nut Blast bars. They are around 220 calories and have around 15g of sugar if I remember correctly. Lots of vitamins too! You can get them at Wal-Mart. Mine has a box of 6 for under $6, which is pretty good!

The low sugar Slim Fast breakfast bars make my stomach hurt, so I wouldn't recommend them.

I like to eat bars for breakfast because I don't like traditional breakfast foods (especially eggs) and there aren't a lot of other healthy protein choices. I can't do any of the shakes... they just don't satisfy me. I need to chew something.

Hope that helps.
Jocelyn
Fitchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 07:36 PM   #22  
Becomming a Monster

S/C/G: 329/253/210

Height: 6'0

do you get kellogs special k bars there? they are divine
slimmingsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004, 05:39 PM   #23  

Hmm special K bars... also the EAS bars are pretty good... but they just don't seem to give me that full feeling....

The whole skinny chicks saying they are fat.. sometimes they are just really insecure too and are looking for reassurance that they look ok! Man I know when I was younger and skinnier, everyone thought I was confident but ****.. it was because I was convinced I weighed so much more than my friends I was too scared to talk about my weight.. being taller and naturally broader than them didn't help...thing is that as i put on weight.. my bigger frame kind of hid it! ha ha... where as on smaller framed people a 10lb weight gain is far more noticeable!

Something i find really good for breakfast, as i love sleeping, is up n go's.. they are liquid breakfast, have the same fibre and protein as two weetbix and milk and are only 203 cal and 3.8 g of fat.. they are yummy and if you need to chew, just grab a few rice crackers!

Another good trick for getting more excercise is, depending on the time you have, to study on a different floor in the library to the books you require.. getting up to get books and climbing stairs is a good way to stretch your muscles, stop yourself from getting oos and also makes you study smarter! you don't want to be getting up 20 times in 20 mins! lol...
HAL123 is offline   Reply With Quote