Old 11-07-2004, 01:31 PM   #1  
Big-time loser

S/C/G: 306.6/247.2/156-164

Height: 5'8"

Default Weekly Chatting Thread 11/7-11/13

Only 19 days til the big Turkey Day Challenge is over! I'm feeling motivated right now, which is always such a great feeling, so I'd say I'm doing well. I've been OP since Tuesday, Monday I was good all day, then started stress-eating at about 10 pm - not good. So today is Day 6 OP and I'm feeling in the groove.
I'm throwing the Thanksgiving Day festivities this year at our house - my first time ever! I'm so excited. My mum and dad will be there with their respective new families, as well the dh's family and siblings, and some of my cousins. Any seasoned vets have any advice for me?
Hope everyone is enjoying their weekend!
jenicra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 09:37 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 220/199/150

Height: 5'9"

Great job taying OP Jenrica! I don't have any advice because I've never hosted forhte holidays, but good luck.

My eating has been terrible lately. Halloween really screwed around with me this year. Luckly I haven't gained any weight because I have been a doing a decent job with getting excercise in. I twisted my ankle last night though and will have to take it easy for a couple of days until I am not in pain while walking. No better time then now to get my eating back on track!!
skinnyjeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 11:32 AM   #3  
Megan

S/C/G: 200/138/133

Height: 5'5"

wow, Jenicra, you are doing thanksgiving! that is amazing. I am terrible at cooking, but i am good with desserts ( i dont like pie so i always have to do something different for thanksgiving).

skinny - take it easy on the ankle you dont want to hurt it any further. as long as you eat ok you will be fine. halloween wasn't good for me either. there is a big cauldron full of candy in the kitchen at work, and i was eating tootsie rolls all last week. no more!!

i had a meeting with one of the PTs at the gym (i get 4 or 5 free sessions with my membership i guess), and he measured my body fat, which is pretty high i guess, 28%. He said he would like to see me at 22%, but my first goal should be to get to 25% or below. On Wednesday he is going to give me a strength training workout. He is nice and very helpful. I have to eat better and eat more frequently, or at least eat breakfast. I am trying! I am feeling very motivated. When he measured my body fat with the calipers, he said that I carry more fat in my arms and my abdomen and back areas are normal. I know, I have big fat arms and big fat legs (its pretty funny actually, I said if you cut off my arms and legs I'd be totally fabulous). The only thing that is going to really help that is the strength training, so I am determined. Have any of you guys measured your body fat or had it measured? I think it is a much better goal for me to try to lower that as opposed to just concentrating on my weight.

i didnt see desperate housewives yet this week, i taped it. i watched my big fat obnoxious boss with Rob and it was really funny! its a total spoof of the apprentice.
NYCT1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 01:07 PM   #4  
2blessed2Bstressed

S/C/G: 201/201/165

Height: 5'11"

Jenicra: Wow, you are all grown up now. Well, that's how I think of it, at my families gathering I still sit at the kids table. So, I don't see myself hosting the dinner any time soon. So, no good advice from me...but good luck to you!!!

SkinnyJeans: good idea on giving the foot a break, and you don't have to feel to frustrated, you can still do other things, maybe some arm weights, or just strectchin, and sit-ups??

Megan: How exciting! I'm so excited for you. I had my body fat mesaure a few years back, and it wasn't pretty, I would like to get it done again, just to see what I'm dealing with here. Prettyi neat how they can figure that stuff out. Good luck to you, and I'm happy for ya

I watched desperate housewives, and again, it was a good one! So I won't give anything away.

Do any of you watch the makeover show that comes on before that? The one hosted by Ty, can't think of the name of it. I boo hooed all the way through it. The re-did a home for a family that has both parents are deaf, one child is austistic and another healthy teen ager with no diabilites. It was really heart-warming to see a family lke that get a house that will help them. REally moving. like I said I wept through the whole thing.

Ladies, let's have another great week of eating and working it out!!!!
spillthebeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 01:17 PM   #5  

Hi all! Sorry for being MIA. I really need some motivation. Anyone want to share theirs with me???

Jen - My only advice is to take the turkey out to defrost early enough. And be sure to look for the bag filled with the Turkey's inards. My first thanksgiving.. I couldn't find it because the turkey was still too frozen. I eventually found it (with the help of cold water to defrost it). I had to call my mom several times to find it though

spillthebeans - I watched desperate housewives this week. It was good, but I can't wait to find out what happens with Eva in 2 weeks! Looks good! I also caught American dreams, which made me cry. I like that show too.. but don't watch it all the time.

TannyMc - THe gym I have been meaning to join will measure my body fat and give me 3 session with a trainer and 1 every 3 months. Its just the gym is expensive... and I am having second thoughts if its worth it. I think meeting with a PT may be the only way to reduce my fat in my thighs.. which I can't seem to get rid of and maybe they have some advice. I'll let you know when I finally join (Thursday is my do or die date.. I just gotta get moving again).

Last edited by tonic; 11-08-2004 at 01:21 PM.
tonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 05:25 PM   #6  
Megan

Ok well I watched desperate housewives so we can talk about it now. Do you guys think Gabrielle is going to get caught next week? I don't want her too. I feel bad though because I think her husband is kind of a nice guy (except when he beat up that gay man... that wasn't nice!). also, what is up with Bree's husband? do you think he's gay? to me, it wouldn't be interesting enough if he was gay. it's not that original.

tonic: how much is your gym? i think any more than 40 dollars a month is too much. the gym i just joined is $60 a month if you sign a year agreement with $99 down. If you do pay as you go and not sign any agreement, it is $70 with $99 down. I chose to pay for a year up front because then it works out to about $42 per month. That includes tanning (i work at a tanning salon part time on the weekend and can tan free there) and child care (i dont have any kids) and all the classes (that part is good). i have seen gyms anywhere from $30 per month to over $150 and I think they are pretty much all the same. i figured, why not pay it up front and make a commitment to myself that i will go consistantly? so far, so good.

i feel like ick today, i think because we didn't turn the heat on last night and it was freeeezing outside and i woke up with a sore throat that hasn't gone away. heat is expensive, you know? i guess i'll turn it on tonight. its 5 and i leave work at 5:30 and i havent decided if i am going to the gym or not because i feel lousy. so now i am going to debate it to myself while typing. i guess i could just go the gym for alittle while and at least do something, it won't be that big a deal. but i don't want to go to the gym and then feel worse after. hmmmm. i think i will go and see how i feel. there. now you have seen the inner workings of my mind. i haven't really been hungry today either. i ate a piece of whole wheat bread with peanut butter on it and a banana for breakfast, and haven't felt hungry all day, but i bought a salad and ate about half of it and will probably eat the other half for dinner.

wow i wrote alot. talk to you all tomorrow!
Old 11-10-2004, 06:43 PM   #7  

TannyMC - The gym is 49/month, with a 100 join. The advatanges for this place are: no time limits on machines (I am pretty sure about this), personal trainer sessions (3 at first, 1 every 3 months after), its close to my apartment so I can walk there, includes all classes. The bad stuff are the price and the hours. It closes kinda early and there are not a ton of classes. Walking there is a huge deal though since my other option is Golds Gym which would take me 10 minutes to drive there and they have time limits on their machines. But Golds is only 33 per month, and 30 join fee or something. I get back from my business trip tomorrow.. so I guess I should just join the expensive place. I really want the advice of a personal trainer. Small towns don't offer many choices
I used to go to the University gym (I am staff so its cheap), but they are renovating and drastically reduced the space and machines. And parking is a joke.
tonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2004, 12:09 PM   #8  
2blessed2Bstressed

S/C/G: 201/201/165

Height: 5'11"

OK, this shout out is for MEGAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You have inspired me to join back at the gym! I was really coveting that you joined a gym, and sooo I said to myself. Why can't you???? So, yesterday I called around, got some quotes and tomm I will be joining my neighborhood rec center. Only 35$ for a year memebership, now that is CHEAP!!! I've used their gym before, they have nice new equipment, they have t.v. s so you can watch whatever and it's usually not that crowded...all bonuses. Now you may ask, why haven't you been a member all along, what has taken you soo long. I guess, I am or have been pretty lazy about excercise lately, but I'm ready to get back at it! Woo HOO!

Thanks again Megan for talking about how exciting it was for you to be back at the gym. It was something I really enjoyed also, it's kind of like my time to just zone out and think, and do something good for myself. Soooo, anyways, thank you girly!!!! You rock!
spillthebeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 09:38 AM   #9  
Megan

wow, spill, that is awesome!! congrats!!! it is nice to get out of the house and just spend some time at the gym, doing something good for yourself, and it does give you time to think. i think a lot about everything while i am there, but i think a lot about my goals for myself and it doesn't hurt to see a lot of good looking men with hot bodies. it doesn't matter why you didn't do it earlier, it just matters that you are doing it now! yay! I can't believe it's only $35! That is amazing.

tonic - i think you should avoid any places with time limits on the machines. In the first year that I belonged to Ballys, they had sign-ups for the machines and you could only block off 30 mins. They did away with it later, but it was really a pain in the butt, and stupid. Gyms now usually have enough equipment so people don't have to wait for a machine. You said it closes early - how early? When I was in college I always went to the gym there for free, and just walked from my dorm. It was great (alittle cold in the winter).

i had a session with the trainer on wednesdaythat showed me some new exercises to do, a lot for the lower body. I felt like a wimp because I haven't done weights in a while. I even fell down while I was doing lunges! Luckily I can laugh at myself, and the trainer can laugh at me too. I was so sore the next day, but i went to the gym last night and did 45 mins on the crosstrainer and today i am still sore! I wanted to do more weights tonight but I am thinking I shouldn't if I am really sore? I'm not sure.

There was a girl at the gym working with a different trainer, and my trainer (dean) told me that she was only 17 years old. Her body was incredible, he said she had really low, too low, body fat. I felt really huge just being near her, lol. Normally I am not bothered by woman who are smaller than I am, but I am very jealous of her awesome bod. It makes me wonder - could I have a body like that? and the bigger question - do i WANT a body like that, and do everything that comes with it - perfect exercise, perfect diet? I'm not sure.