Closed Thread

Old 02-25-2004, 04:28 PM   #1  
Big-time loser

S/C/G: 306.6/247.2/156-164

Height: 5'8"

Default HELP! I need a strategy

OK - my caterers' meeting for the wedding is tomorrow evening. It's banquet style (a bunch of other couples will be there). I need a plan to avoid overeating while there. Obviously, there's going to be a lot of yummy food. Luckily and thankfully, I don't eat meat, so I'm sure a lot of the dishes will be out for me right off the bat. I have a feeling, however, that there will be LOTS of sweets. Obviously, I have to try their food. So do I try to "save" a good amount of calories for the dinner? Or will that just put me in a food-loaded environment with a raving appetite? Should I just budget that I'll go over tomorrow, but stay reasonable? Say, 1800 cals. or something maybe? I normally take in about 1300. My fiance will be judging the meat dishes, of course. Should I just make him eat everything and only try some of the things that don't look too bad? I don't want to miss out on all of it, but I really want to stay on track. One thing's for sure, I'm hitting the gym hardcore before dinner! Anyone out there have any plans of attack?
Old 02-25-2004, 04:50 PM   #2  

I would try to save a few calories and plan to have a higher calorie dinner.

When I try to save calories for a meal, I try to eat a lot of filling but low calorie foods that day so that I'm not starving. It's amazing what adding some extra veggies into your day can do for your level of fullness.
Old 02-25-2004, 06:26 PM   #3  

First, I wouldn't let your fiance try everything. This is (hopefully) your only wedding and you are only going to have one planning exerience, right? So just plan on tasting everything you want.

Second, this is just tasting right? So that doesn't mean you eat the full piece of chicken or whatever you are trying since you don't eat meat. So you shouldn't be stuffed after this unless you are making it your meal.

I wouldn't go to it hungry, it might skew your thoughts on the food. There is this saying "Never go to the grocery store hungry." I think it applies here as well, but more because your brain might be so hungry it convinces you that the dish is better then it is. Sounds crazy, but have you ever tried foods at a grocery store when you were hungry, thought they were great, bought them, and wondered what the **** you were thinking? (at least in Washington our grocery stores had tastings of certain foods now and then.. costco does this alot).

Hrm.. and you probably should budget to be over your calorie intake for that day. Either cut back a little by eating more veggies or have no cheese that day or something. Or work out 10 minutes longer.

But, I do think its just one day.. and as long as you are reasonable about it.. those few extra calories might not matter.
Old 02-25-2004, 07:00 PM   #4  
Big-time loser

S/C/G: 306.6/247.2/156-164

Height: 5'8"

It is just one day, but a lot of the time, one day of offness throws me into 3 days of offness - that's what I'm worried about. I think you both are right -stock up on the veggies pre-dinner and don't go hungry. And moderation! And it is more of a dinner than a "tasting" - or at least a mix of the two.
Closed Thread