Closed Thread

Old 01-20-2004, 02:00 PM   #16  
Movin' and Losin'

Jen: I've been having some trouble lately, too. I think part of my problem is, I've lost weight and people start to notice and comment. Everyone keeps saying that I look great, I've lost a lot of weight, etc. For awhile, I kept thinking "Yeah, but I've still got a lot to lose." Eventually I began to think, "Hey. I do look pretty good. I have lost a good amount of weight." And, I began to be complacent with where I was. People think I look good. I feel so much better about myself. Why not take a break? Why not just be happy with where I am? It's so hard for me to stay motivated anymore.
Old 01-20-2004, 02:14 PM   #17  
Movin' and Losin'

Jamie: So good to hear from you! I'm glad you're back. It sounds like you have a very heavy schedule. That's exciting that you'll be graduating! Keep us posted on everything!
Old 01-20-2004, 02:28 PM   #18  

I actually did take a break from trying to lose weight. I didn't want to deal with the stress of starting law school and the stress of losing weight, so I just worked on maintaining my weight for about a year. I floated between 138 and 142 pounds for over a year when I decided to get my act together and lose the last 15 pounds.

I think it was actually good, I realized that I won't just gain all of the weight back the minute I stop obsessing over what I eat. I tried to work out 3 times a week and would go through periods where I would log my food to check up on my eating habits, but most of the time I just tried to make good choices most of my meals.

It also gave me a chance to evaluate my goals, I was at a healthy weight, I looked pretty good, and I decided after a while that I want to look fabulous, not just pretty good.

I think it helps sometimes to take a week off of exercising. I get a little burned out after months and months of working my butt off, so taking a little time to let your body recover can make a difference in motivation level.
Old 01-20-2004, 02:30 PM   #19  

Hey Jina! I think we're on here posting at the same time. I know EXACTLY what you mean, and you're right about how it's harder to drum up the necessary motivation for this, when we *have* come a long way already! It's so easy to get complacent after a certain measure of success. I guess that may be part of my problem--but deep down inside, I want to go ALL the way, and reach my goal, and feel REALLY great about my body/how I look, instead of "pretty good" like I feel now. My self-esteem has certainly improved drastically over the past 6 months....but I'm not quite there yet. For weighing 175 I'd say I look pretty good--I think people would guess my weight more at 150 or 160....but for health & pregnancy reasons, I can't quit yet. Must continue onward!!! (-;
Jamie--it's good to see you back on the site! We missed you! Congrats on getting to graduate in the spring. (-;
Old 01-20-2004, 02:40 PM   #20  

I was trying to think of things that help get my motivation going again, here's a short list.

Plan little treats for myself when I reach different weight goals (manicure/pedicure, new jeans, massage, new cd, etc. every 5 or 10 pounds)

Go through magazines and websites (like Cooking Light) and pick one new healthy recipe to try each week.

Form a cooking club and meet with friends to make a healthy dinner every couple of weeks.

Try a new class at the gym or rent a new exercise video

Hang up a piece of clothing that I would like to fit into where I can see it every day.

Does anyone else have something that gets them excited about trying to be healthier?
Old 01-20-2004, 04:43 PM   #21  
SuperWoman

S/C/G: 194/157.5/145

Height: 5'9"

Since, I have two little ones, I don't get to go to the movies very often, its been about 2 years since I've been to a theater. We do rent and buy lots of dvds tho. My mom, who is visting from the states, and I watched Freaky Friday and SWAT last night. Freaky Friday was cute and we both liked SWAT. Colin Farrell is pretty hot, but I think it has to do something with his bad boy image. If I could go to the movies I would like to see Along Came Polly and Return of the King. I think when my DH comes home from Iraq, we'll get a sitter and go see a movie.
Old 01-20-2004, 05:18 PM   #22  

Katia - I totally can relate. I've taken a break from losing weight for the last 4 months or so.. its weird cause I want to lose the last 10, but with my life in chaos right now its on the back burner because people tell me how good I look. I am starting to get back with the program now.. although I am still in a slump.

So did I tell you all I am going to Hawaii? Well its for work, but I have 2 extra days that I can have some fun and at night. My fiance is coming with me. I am scared of the bathing suit thing, but oh well.. its warm there!!! So I leave friday and get back next Thursday. So things will continue to be crazy until then. Oh well.

I picked up a pilates mat this weekend and went to look for the dvd I wanted. No one had it.. so I ordered it online and it should be here in a few days. I can't wait. I hope the dvd is good. It had good reviews and was not as expensive as Winsor and has more advanced stuff then the pilates for dummies. Worst case, I sell it and buy the Winsor set.
Old 01-20-2004, 05:53 PM   #23  
2blessed2Bstressed

S/C/G: 201/201/165

Height: 5'11"

Hey Girls,

Just wanted to add that I'm at the same spot as you all. I've lost thirty lbs and its been great hearing how great I look, and that everyone notices the weight that I have lost. Here I am with 18 lbs to go and they are killing me....

I just don't have that do or die motivation that I had when I started, I'm not giving up yet, but I need some serious motivation as well!

Idea!

A cute hottie that would like to volunteer as my personal trainer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nice thought.....

Everyone have a great rest of the week

age 25, 5'11
SW 201
CW 168
GW 150
Old 01-20-2004, 07:36 PM   #24  

Thanks for all your ideas & suggestions, ladies! Ya'll really are just the BEST. (-; Katia...it surprised me that when you suggested taking a week off from exercising, my immediate thought was "no--that's scary." I guess I know somewhere in my head that I control my weight (and lose my weight) mostly through exercise. The thought of abandoning that for a whole week strikes fear in me! Crazy, I know. (-; I guess I'm not quite near enough my goal to consider "taking a break" yet....maybe if I was just 10-15 lbs. away, that'd be a consideration for me.
I already do the rewards thing...every 5 lbs. I think I've been a little *too* good to myself! I mean, I've definitely needed new clothes, but now I'm always looking for reasons to go shopping. (-; It sure is a LOT more fun! And I've done the thing where I hang a garment that I want to fit into where I can see it every day--that IS really motivating. I have nothing left in my closet that doesn't fit anymore! I guess that's a good thing.
Lori--I LOVED Freaky Friday. Just a clean, fun movie. You don't find a lot of that these days!
Old 01-20-2004, 09:59 PM   #25  
comeback member

Hello ladies!!

Yes, I am still alive! But gosh my weeks are soooo busy! No time for the computer! But it seems like you were all having fun without me...snif, snif....*giggle* I don't feel as 'needed' anymore...snif again!!

I hope everybody is fine...Here in Ontario it is sooooooo cold! -40 with the windchill...Yuck...Walking to the gym feels like an expedition! But I am still going even if my bum is freezing! I wanted to join a pilates class but it was full. I guess I will wait for the next session.

I have a lil challenge going with myself...I have to wear size 11-12 pants by March 12th (right before my spring break) If I do, I am getting a new pair of jeans and some gym clothing from my fiance. Isn't he sweet and supportive? Awwww....

I am surviving on soup these days. I made 3 huge containers of Weight watchers veggie soup and cabbage soup. My dinners are planned...

Jen--- To give you a motivation boost, did you try putting old pictures of yourself around the house, especially on fridge? Works for me! I look at it and i want to throw up! And I am not joking!

Another trick I have is that I do not have any bad food at home (OK, my friend Dr Phil would call it the no failure environment) So if I crave chocolate, well I have a problem because I do not have any! Same for chips or cookies...I am so glad my fiance is not a 'snack' kinda guy!

Alright that's it for now...Have a good evening girls!

Sacha
Old 01-20-2004, 10:32 PM   #26  

S/C/G: 330/265/175

Hello all!

Hi Sacha, nice to see you back - I was wondering if you had got lost during the Great Computer Crash. And I sympathize with the cold. It has been the same here in Montreal, too!

Jen, Jina and all you others that are getting close to your goals: you guys can do it! I'm sure you all really want to reach your goal deep inside...maybe the suggestion of a short break is something that will let you refresh and refocus? Anyway, you've all done so well, be proud of that and confident that you can go all the way!

Jamie: congrats on graduating this spring! Feels good, eh? Actually, finishing my undergrad degree was such a mixed emotions time for me. It was nice to be done it, but I had such a great time and it was so sad to see everyone spreading out all over the continent for jobs...rarely see my friends from undergrad anymore...Toronto, BC, Cali, Texas, NC, you name, they're spread out everywhere!

As for my master's, I'll likely be done sometime in the summer, but I don't know when the actual ceremony will be, although I likely won't be attending it, because I doubt that I'll be in or near Montreal at the time.

Anywho, it's cold and I'm tired! Have a good night all, Julie.
Old 01-21-2004, 07:33 AM   #27  

Sacha--it's good to see you on here again! I was beginning to wonder if we'd lost you.....we're glad to have you back. (-; You can succeed at your personal challenge--keep us posted!
Lekker--thanks for the kind words, you're so thoughtful. (-;
Perhaps I should look into putting up some "fat" pictures, or at least one on the fridge. Just as a friendly little reminder....because I think it would get me to stop & think more.
Old 01-21-2004, 09:36 AM   #28  
comeback member

Happy wednesday!!

I hope everybody is doing fine! Thank you Lekker and Jen for the nice re-welcome! It is nice to be back!

Congrats to all the graduating slim divas! What a nice feeling...I have to take a course this summer at the University and I really don't feel like it. I'm not the studying kind of girl...even though I am a teacher!! Funny uh? Well...I make others study!!!

It is still freezing cold here and I am fed up...Can't wait for spring!

Have a good day everyone!

Sacha
Old 01-21-2004, 03:41 PM   #29  
2blessed2Bstressed

S/C/G: 201/201/165

Height: 5'11"

Happy Hump-day everyone! We are half way through the week...Yeah!!!!!!
Old 01-21-2004, 04:19 PM   #30  

Ugh. WHY does today have to suck almost as bad as yesterday. Ok.. going to vent on my 3fc journal.

Sacha - I am freezing too.
Closed Thread