Closed Thread

Old 09-22-2003, 08:13 PM   #1  
Movin' and Losin'

Question Strength Training?

OK. I keep hearing how important strength training is. My only problem is I'm not sure where to start with it. My apartment complex has a workout room, and there are some weights, but I'm a little bit frightened of them. I'm not sure what to do with them or how much to lift. Major problems, I understand. I'm a little bit intimidated to ask the buff guys that are always over there using them. My question: Can I start off with things like pushups, situps, etc. Are they considered strength training? Or, how can I start out with the weights without looking like an idiot or hurting myself? Any help would be appreciated. I obviously know nothing about this!!

Thanks,
Jina
Old 09-22-2003, 09:03 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 195/166/158

Height: 5'6"

Ah, the intimidating weights. I understand your dilemma. I was lucky enough to have my husband show me the basics, and I built from there. If you can't think of anyone to show you proper form, you might want to think about one session with a trainer, just to learn the basics.

I think pushups and situps are good optiopns for strength training, but eventually I'd mix that up with either free weights or nautilus equipment. Most nautilus equipment I've used have stickers on them that show proper form. I'd start there. Free weights are a little trickier, but they WORK!

I am not a trainer, nor do I have any education that would qualify me to give advice, but that is what I've always been told by serious weight lifting nuts and trainers.

As far as finding the right weight to lift, start small and add 5 pounds or so until you can only do 8 - 10 reps of an exercise. I've been told to do 3 sets of 8 - 10 reps (to exhaustion) to build muscle, or 2 sets of 13 - 15 reps to tone.

I hope this helps a little. Again, I am really in no position to teach this stuff. I'm simply telling you what I've heard around the gym and learned from the very few personal training sessions I have had.
Old 09-22-2003, 09:05 PM   #3  

Jina,
I think it's awesome that you want to start strength training--you're right, it IS important! It makes the body just *look* so much better as you lose weight. Not to mention all the actual health benefits....can you tell I'm a believer?
Sit-ups, push-ups, and the like ARE strength-building exercises, and I think that'd be a fine place to start. I know it can really be intimidating in a weight room, not knowing how things work, or how to do them. I'm lucky that I had some friends teach me/show me what to do early on in college, and I still use that knowledge now.
One thing you could do, is just observe the guys that use your gym, and watch how they do the different exercises. Then, when they're done on a machine, just try it yourself! As far as how much to lift, you can always err on the easy side by choosing a very small amount of weight, and add more from there. Do the exercises smoothly and don't use momentum to make them easier. You will see good results after a couple weeks!
Hope that helps--wish I could just take you to the gym and show you myself!

Jen
Old 09-22-2003, 11:09 PM   #4  
it's the getting up

Hey Jina! I was fumbling around on the Ladies that Lift forum the other day and it has some good info, but there was a site recommended http://www.stumptuous.com/weights.html . Its kind of a crazy site but there is a lot of helpful info for beginners. I printed off 2 of the beginner workouts and will be starting tuesday. She has pictures on the site to show you how to lift, also shape.com has a strength training section on their site as well. Hope this helps, keep up the good work!
Old 09-24-2003, 01:13 AM   #5  
Movin' and Losin'

Thanks for all the info, Leslie, Jen and Jamie!! It's all very helpful!! Like I said, I know nothing about strength training. Now, I feel like I have a good start on it. After some more reading, maybe I can feel comfortable enough to head to the weight room and go to work... that's the plan anyway. Thanks again for your help! I really appreciate it!

Take care,
Jina
Closed Thread