Old 06-19-2017, 09:40 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 235/172.6/145

Height: 5'6

Default Socializing when trying to lose weight

Hi everyone!

I've had a long journey with weight loss, with most recently gaining back about 15 pounds over the past 2 years. I'm dedicating myself to weight loss again, and trying to plan how I can be more effective than my half-hearted attempts in the past 2 years.

My biggest concern is social events. It's common in my area to socialize over dinner and drinks, and I really enjoy beer and wine. Also, I'm starting a new job this coming week, and I expect that I'll probably want to go out more than usual to get to know my coworkers.

Does anyone have tips on staying on track when going out with friends? Low calorie drinks I can try instead of beer/wine?
AlyssaMcN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 06:32 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 190/152/??

Height: 5'6

Hey girl! Have faith in yourself - if you've done it before, you can do it again.

I also had an issue with drinking... alcohol is one of my biggest weaknesses. It helped to drink drinks that weren't super tasty; for example, vodka with soda water and lime. This would slow down my consumption and help me be more mindful (hey, I don't need to have 5 beers!). Also, if you're more sober than everyone else, you can remember more of what they say, and you won't wake up the next day with a bad hangover. Plus, you avoid the dreaded "drunchies."

I guess I'd say if you really feel like you want to drink, try to keep it to one or two. Otherwise, not drinking at all is a good practice to have (order something non-alcoholic). Everyone else will be tipsy so they won't even notice... just let them do all the talking.
dawnlouise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 11:33 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 246.5/176.4/125

Height: 5'4"

The easiest way to save calories would be to not drink, but if you still want alcohol hard liquors have fewer calories than beer or wine, and you can get zero calorie mixers like seltzer or diet soda. My go-to was vodka or rum with diet coke.

If you're worried about food while going out, you can eat beforehand so you're not tempted by greasy bar food, or try to browse their menu online so you can pick a healthier option.
shandygaffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 09:01 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 168/166/112-117

Height: 5'5

I have a very active social life, I think there is some kind of "dinner" every other week. I've handled this by eating a light meal before hand. I know it sounds counterproductive, but I find as long as I have some kind of drink to sip in my hand and am nibbling on something I am content and don't look out of place. So my reasoning is eat a light meal at home, then snack at the party/dinner. It's enough to appease social protocol but ultimately less calories than just party food and just as filling.

Last edited by scoobysnackz; 08-08-2017 at 09:07 AM.
scoobysnackz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 06:27 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 180/ticker/129 or so =)

Height: 5'6.5"

I've been actively managing my weight for a *long* time (I was obese as a child and I am now beginning to think about retirement). Normal calorie counting made eating out very difficult and I frequently felt like a wet blanket as I would often squelch suggestions to go out to eat. It also led to yoyo dieting because I felt too deprived all the time when I was actively managing my weight (losing or maintaining).

But in recent years I found that OMAD (eating only one meal a day) allowed me to lose weight then maintain while eating very nice dinners every day and dining out once or twice a week while maintaining. I took my time adjusting to OMAD, but once I got there, I found it a lot easier than thinking about eating throughout the day. I wish I had found this approach literally decades ago! I know it's not for everyone, but for me it's been a (social) life-saver!

Last edited by yoyoma; 08-09-2017 at 06:31 AM.
yoyoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 08:28 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 225/190/?

Vodka sodas with lime. Low calorie, hydrating, yummy
Missy789 is offline   Reply With Quote