3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Support Forum > Support Groups > 20-Somethings

Old 02-16-2017, 11:26 AM   #1

Smile Ambitious smart women, what are your mental barriers to losing the weight?

Dear fellow young active women,

I am wondering, as we have all information available on everything weight loss related, yet it is sooooo hard to lose it and maintain a thin body (I should know, I have been in restriction/binging **** for 4 years before finally losing the weight 2 years ago, and I am only starting to feel like I am over it), how come we can't just apply all that information?

I am curious, if some 20smt (I am 26) want to start a discussion: what do you think is the hardest when we know what we "should" do and still don't do it?
Which parts of the day, and why?

For sure the information isn't enough, what would be more helpful? (like accountability, support from family and friends, or actual meal prep, etc..)

I am finding myself always digging deeper when I catch myself eating the entire chocolate bar, even if that doesn't happen much anymore, what happened that made me do that even if I didn't wanted ?

I would love to discuss this and have your view point!
NatavhaMonica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 11:27 AM   #2
Determind Member

S/C/G: 323/275.5/168

Height: 5ft 6"

Hey!!

I think one of the most difficult barriers is being able to sift through all the fitness Crap and misinformation to be able to make an easy plan that fits in with your lifestyle. Too many money making companies out there pretending their diet or pill or anything is the problem solver. But..... onto the topic of personal barriers.

For me....

1) I think that living by the beach on the West Coast of Scotland is definitely a barrier. This summer is going to be great for my weight loss, but my mood I feel very much reflects the weather. Living in a country where it rains most of the time is a motivation killer, I need to learn to break through that though.

2) Boredom eating! If it is 3pm, I find myself looking for something to do, I am not long out the gym.... I will snack. It will be healthy..... But I will snack, even though I am probably not hungry. I need to leave myself something to do around the house at the times that I might find myself bored.

3) Peer pressure.... I am a pleaser..... which isn't always pleasant If someone else makes an excuse for me, I find myself caving very easily. Family or friends will be like... oh you've been really good though, just have one chocolate cookie, or one little bit of this or that. I am much better at saying no than I used to be, no one is offended either, its just a mental thing for me.

what about you?

First Big Goal is to get under 280lbs! - The last time I was this weight was in June 2010

Second Big Goal is to be 248lbs by the time my best friend gets married on June the 24th 2017

Third Big Goal is to be 218lbs by the time my other best friend gets married on 30th November 2017

Fourth Big Goal is to be looking fabulous and in Onederland by the time my sister gets married in Italy in April 2018

Fifth and Final Goal! is to be 168 or below by the time I turn 30 years old in January 2019

Last edited by Scotsgal; 02-17-2017 at 11:30 AM.
Scotsgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 11:13 AM   #3

Default Totally true!

Hey, totally agree with your first comment.
What was annoying me the most was the hours and hours spent reading magazines saying all and their opposite in the same sentence in every diet article!

I totally agree that shitty weather (I live in Paris) are the worst for feeling motivated to eat fresh food and go outside!

I find that snacking on healthy fruits and veggies without guilt during those times of boredom/indecision to go to the gm are actually great as I would also be less hungry later on, and frankly tomatoes and apples slices aren't going to make me gain weight. Anyway if I don't I will really make bad food decision in a matter of hours...
But I am curious here, why do you think t is so hard to go to the gym when we have all the time in the day?

I am guilty of being a people pleaser also, but learned some powerful phrasing from my mum: "No thank you, this really isn't going to make me feel good in my body". After this, people won't say anything, because they won't (or can't^^) say that they want you to feel bad!

Let me know if it works for you
NatavhaMonica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:31 AM   #4
Determind Member

S/C/G: 323/275.5/168

Height: 5ft 6"

Oh I have been working on my No, Thank You's in the last month and I have been doing pretty well. I am trying my best to stop smoking as well. At 28, I have been smoking for about 15 years I was a child smoker. I can now go a month or so without one, but in a social situation I struggle. But now I am trying to properly quit smoking, its habit and not the addiction for me. So the No, Thank You's have came in handy recently.

I think the gym can be difficult for those who have a pretty active work life. When I was working on a bar, at the end of the day, the last thing I wanted to do was go to the gym after working 10 hours on my feet. But I hadn't realised, that I didn't need to.... Working on my feet all day would of been the workout I needed, if only I had the diet to go with it. I could of maybe went to a workout class on my day off or went for a swim after work instead.

For those who office work or don't have as active work life, then I think it comes down to habit. People want to go home and watch their favourite TV programme, or go for an hour long relaxing bath, or they have kids that they have to rush home and spend time with. I am a sleep lover..... I must have 8-9 hours of sleep or I will be fatigued all day. So I know that I am not a morning workout person, I will never get a proper workout done when I am sleepy. I workout best between 6-9pm when the gym is full of people finishing work. But I home work...... so I take an hour during the day to walk the dog, then take just over an hour at night to go to the gym. Now that I am in the habit, I realise that I have more energy than I did before, so now it doesn't feel so difficult to do.

Habit and consistency is key. But only once you make the change, will it be realised

First Big Goal is to get under 280lbs! - The last time I was this weight was in June 2010

Second Big Goal is to be 248lbs by the time my best friend gets married on June the 24th 2017

Third Big Goal is to be 218lbs by the time my other best friend gets married on 30th November 2017

Fourth Big Goal is to be looking fabulous and in Onederland by the time my sister gets married in Italy in April 2018

Fifth and Final Goal! is to be 168 or below by the time I turn 30 years old in January 2019

Scotsgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:58 PM   #5

Hello

I'm 25 years old from West Virginia. For me the barrier I struggle with is instant pleasure of eating vs long term pleasure of losing weight. It is so hard for me to focus on a long term goal, I am a type of person that is inpatient and will usually go for short term pleasure. My worst part of the day is the evening time. After clean eating all day when I get home after a long day at work I want something to drink besides water and I always crave something sweet or salty just before bed. I'm also a bit of an emotional eater, so when I'm sad, mad or upset I tend to think oh chocolate will make me feel better, but in reality it's just a short term fix, and does nothing to actually make me feel better in the long run.
It would be more helpful if I did not keep a bag of pretzels on my night stand. I only recently started my weight loss journey, and so far many family members have been completely un supportive of my goals. My parents pushed pizza on me, my brother pushed snack cakes and candy on me. Everyone always says "Oh you can have a cheat day" but what they don't understand is that my life has been a "cheat day" and that lifestyle cannot continue. My own nephew making jokes about my weight watchers points. I told them to shut up it's not funny and they didn't say a thing about it again. It's ridiculous why do family and friends do that? I can't understand it.
babs3289 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
food, nutrition, psychology, weightloss