Old 12-21-2016, 05:33 AM   #1  
Mandy

S/C/G: 153/153/120

Height: 5'5'' or 165cm

Default Starting again

Hi everyone!

So I know that a lot of people, in their weight loss journey, can end up having to start again after a period of abandoning it two, three, however many times necessary. I've totally dropped the ball and not cared for about a year now, especially because I've been finishing my studies and because my friends are so sweet and just send love my way no matter what, but I've also been feeling so down lately. I'm fairly sure that it's a direct result of my eating and (lack of) exercise habits, the fact that I'm not really letting my body get the energy it needs.

Which leads me to the question: does anybody have any tips for getting back on the wagon?

My particular difficulty has been to pace myself. The first time around (where I did get halfway to my goal at a healthy pace), I knew to give myself some time with habits. That these were lifelong habits I was trying to break, so I took people's advice to take one small step at a time. I didn't even cut out soda or junk food at the time, I just reduced my portions a bit and tried including vegetables instead of taking out anything. But I always seem to be asking too much of myself now and trying to jump back to where I was (unfortunately, it's been a bit too long for me to do that easily). I guess I just have to remember that the reason I took it slow wasn't because I didn't know enough or because I wasn't motivated enough but because it takes time for your body to learn and adjust to make these changes lasting. How about you guys? What's been your difficulty getting back to it? (:

x
x
wendybirdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 05:05 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 194/157/122

Height: 5'7"

Hi there!

I think the way you're handling things is just right in regards to taking it slow. That's exactly what I've been doing, and so far it's helped a lot with keeping me motivated and not down and about every time I give in to a small splurge. I, personally, noticed that anytime I try to eat just 100% all healthy foods I get really crabby and end up binging on junk. I give in to my cravings, I just limit how much of it I consume, and it helps keep me motivated and on track and not like I'm failing if I try to enjoy life a little. With that method I've lost 30 lbs so far by combining healthy eating, excercising, and giving in to small portions of my cravings (almost daily).

Another thing that's been helping me from aborting my plans to lose weight and starting all over again is imagining how my future self next year will be looking back at me. I've been trying to eat healthier on and off for three years (since I gained a bunch of weight back then), and looking back at myself last year, the year before then and etc. I'm really disappointed in my choices. I don't want to be looking back at myself again next year thinking the same thing. So that's helped me stay on track as well.

It seems like you know what to do, but I know how difficult it can be jumping back on the health wagon. Just don't set unrealistic goals, know that it's okay to enjoy life and splurge a little, and most importantly take it slow. You got this, girl!
Emsikins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 10:48 AM   #3  
Determind Member

S/C/G: 323/313/168

Height: 5ft 6"

I had a lot more to lose than you, but i set myself 1lb a week to lose because it is much more achievable than what people wont to lose at. Obviously, you could lose half that a week and still see results. Have you thought about not going by weight? and maybe go by bodyfat? so that what you are doing in actually just improving your health and physic, rather than concentrating on weight loss?

If you do want to go by lbs lost, the the way in which you did it before is very good. If you haven't already got My fitness Pal, then I would suggest to download it. Then spend a week eating what you would usually eat, and look at where the main chunk of your calories are coming from. Simple things can really bring your calories down, but like you said, its about learning how to make better choices without making yourself feeling like you are either on a diet or restricting certain foods.

Do you have kitchen scales? if not, I would advise that you should invest, maybe grab a pair of digital ones in the xmas sales. I weigh everything that needs to be... veggies, potatoes, meat, fish, anything that doesn't have an absolute weight on it. You start to learn roughly how much 100g is and after a few months when you are away from the scales, you make much better choices.

People say that counting calories is confusing and time consuimg, but if you really want to lose weight, learn from it, and not gain it back, why not invest in learning about it. It then means that after a few months it feels like second nature and you just do it automatically.

I hope it works out well for you
Scotsgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 11:47 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 203/172/153

Height: 5"3

The hardest thing for me was getting over the feeling of kicking myself for having to start again.

Then I started to think of the way I was eating as abnormal and unacceptable rather than missing it.

I also didn't realised how malnourished when I was losing weight before, so focus on nourishing yourself properly as well as cutting weight, because I realised what was making me "fall off the wagon" was my hunger and negative mindset about myself.
mynameisyes is offline   Reply With Quote