Closed Thread

Old 08-27-2003, 09:09 AM   #1  

Default 5k anyone?

I've been wanting to get myself in shape to do a 5k for awhile now. At the moment I can walk it, and jog small parts, but not run the whole thing. I was thinking it would be great support if anyone else was interested we could have a little 5k buddies group. Somebody mentioned this website in one of the other threads:

http://ford4women.chatelaine.com/run.../training.html

It's a 12-week training program for a 5k, so if we were to start, say, the first week of September, we can be 5k-ing by Thanksgiving You can train to walk, walk/run, or just flat out run a 5k, so it's good for most any fitness level, I'd imagine. Who's up for it?

Cat

Last edited by ChicCat; 08-27-2003 at 10:52 AM.
Old 08-27-2003, 10:02 AM   #2  
Hoping for Success

I am willing to join your group. I haven't even thought of it, but I checked out the site and think they lay out a nice plan. which program do you want to do (walk, run, etc) AND do you want to start Saturday? (cause I say LET"S GO!!!)

we could post what we did that day and make sure we are all following it correctly..plus we'll know what we were supposed to do because it is mapped out for us!
Old 08-27-2003, 10:55 AM   #3  

I'm all for starting Saturday! Although this week I probably won't be able to fit one of the Saturday runs in so I may do it on one of the designated rest days instead. Messing around with the program already...uh-oh.

I'm going to try to to do the run program and see how it goes. They've only posted up to week 6 or 7 so far but it looks like if it would be challenging, but doable. How about you?

Cat
Old 08-27-2003, 12:33 PM   #4  
it's the getting up

Yeah!!!! I am totally up for this, I am wanting to train for a triathlon that's coming up in May 2004 in Anchorage (my home town) and this will help so much with the run portion- it's a 5k segment. I am going to start this saturday and try the running training program. The program looks awesome it's kinda nice to have something mapped out. Ok, good luck

Jamie
highest 235
current 210
goal 150-155
Old 08-27-2003, 01:23 PM   #5  

I am in for following the exercise training portion. Not for the nutrition part though... I am an Atkins follower and would follow the plan however my heart burn and stomach issue flare up with starches and carbs... so I am all for starting Saturday with the training part of this 5K training. I have nothing to train for... but the exercise will be great!! And to be accountable to a group is important too...
Old 08-27-2003, 01:30 PM   #6  
Hoping for Success

OKay guys...I will post this saturday what I did...do the same..for now let's get prepared...
Old 08-27-2003, 04:12 PM   #7  

I will post mine on Monday because I don't do much computer stuff on the weekends!! Besides it's a busy one!!!

I can't wait to start!!!!!!!
Old 08-27-2003, 04:38 PM   #8  
Movin' and Losin'

Hey, girls. I'd love to join in on the fun, too. This sounds like something I can do! And, it'll be great to have the support of everyone else doing it, too. I'm in. I'm starting on Saturday, too!

Jina
Old 08-27-2003, 05:01 PM   #9  
Hoping for Success

Monday sounds like a better idea....I will post either mon or sat..
Old 08-27-2003, 06:36 PM   #10  
it's the getting up

If I can move after a 30min. run on saturday I will post then! I am so excited about this, can't wait to hear how it goes for everyone!

Let it go. Living well is the best revenge (I needed that right now)

Jamie
highest 235
current 210
goal 150-155
Old 08-27-2003, 07:05 PM   #11  
Hoping for Success

living well is the best revenge....wow a great quote and a great album (if anyone even knows who I am talking about)! Okay let's do this....!

cat you have added some excitement to the board....
Old 08-28-2003, 10:31 AM   #12  

I am SO excited for this.. I have the schedule on my fridge and I need a jump start on this. It will be great for the self esteem and great for the weight loss in the process!!

Now I just need to stay pumped up so I can keep this up. I get bored quickly and tend to give up not because I can't but because I get bored... so I will be checking this thread all the time for motivation!!
Old 08-29-2003, 09:04 AM   #13  

Ah, this is awesome! We're going to be a fantastic bunch of 5k-ers. I have decided I am just going to have to fit in time to start Saturday, but I may not be able to post until Monday.

Oh, and I don't know how strictly I'll be following the nutrition side either, as I am vegetarian and even the low-fat hi-carb type diets seem to be pretty meat heavy.

Ok everyone, tomorrow's the big day!

Cat

PS- Jamie, I've been wanting to do a triathalon sometime too! I took a class for one of my PE requirements last spring and it was lots of fun. We did a very mini-tri at the end.
Old 08-29-2003, 02:17 PM   #14  
Hoping for Success

well I have been vegetarian for 5 years and I am going to do my own diet, but I can adjust to some things. I plan on drinking protien shakes (soy) and I am going to look at this as a new start...but let's keep the nutrition to our own styling, but do the workout schedules.
Old 08-29-2003, 07:16 PM   #15  
it's the getting up

Ok, workout is posted on the fridge and I am ready to go....a little nervous but it's cool. I agree with keeping our own nutrition plans. *Cat- What an awesome class that would be, I wish my school would offer more things like that. Any tips for the rest of the training ie: swimming and biking portion. The one I am training for is only a 500 yard indoor swim (not a problem), 11 mile bike ride (ok that's gonna hurt a little), and oh yeah can't forget the 5k (crap).

Hmmmm! So the running was more like run/walking, but not too shabby, a couple of good sized hills on the course. Definately did better than I thought I would. Taking today (sun.) off cause I worked pretty hard this week. Will pick back up on Monday, I need to post my sept. goals so moving right along.

Jamie
highest 235
current 207
goal 150-155

Last edited by sunseeker_ak; 08-31-2003 at 04:16 PM.
Closed Thread