Old 09-01-2015, 11:12 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 207/207/160

Default Any Advice

I have been walking nearly 2.5 miles daily for three weeks now and I am gaining weight instead of losing it, I am hoping someone can help give me some sort of "its normal" lol, here is some insight into whats been going on, When I started walking three weeks ago I was 203.5, I am on a strict 1200 cal diet no junk, only good wholesome food, I drink 100 oz of water a day (or more depending on the temp outside.) I walk daily atleast 5000 steps. I weighed today for the first time since I started this venture and I am up to 207, I was so upset I almost wanted to give up. I didn't but I am hoping someone else has encountered this frustration as well.
Dia06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 10:46 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 214/195/165

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dia06 View Post
I have been walking nearly 2.5 miles daily for three weeks now and I am gaining weight instead of losing it, I am hoping someone can help give me some sort of "its normal" lol, here is some insight into whats been going on, When I started walking three weeks ago I was 203.5, I am on a strict 1200 cal diet no junk, only good wholesome food, I drink 100 oz of water a day (or more depending on the temp outside.) I walk daily atleast 5000 steps. I weighed today for the first time since I started this venture and I am up to 207, I was so upset I almost wanted to give up. I didn't but I am hoping someone else has encountered this frustration as well.
Don't give up! There are many explanations- especially since this is the first time you have weighed yourself since you started. Is it near or the time of the month for you? If so you are most likely retaining water. Additionally, if you are not having the same frequency of bowel movements that could explain today's weight.

I also wanted to clarify are you walking 5k steps total in your entire day, or do you mean that is only your workout.
HaveDogWillDiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 10:51 AM   #3  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dia06 View Post
Yep, don't give up! Bodies have weird patterns. Some can be explained, so cannot. As long as you are sure about your caloric intake (are you measuring? REALLY keeping count?) then the weight will come off.

I was holding steady for over a month with bouncing up and down the same 3-4 pounds. DESPITE knowing I was consuming between 1000-1400 calories a day with an average of 1100 (not exercising much).

Well, in the last 4 days I've lost 6.6 pounds because my body is finally letting go of the water and I'm sure I'll see more losses this week too.

So, yes, bodies are not predictable in WHEN they will drop the weight, but if you are doing what say you are doing, it will come off!
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 03:34 PM   #4  

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaveDogWillDiet View Post
Don't give up! There are many explanations- especially since this is the first time you have weighed yourself since you started. Is it near or the time of the month for you? If so you are most likely retaining water. Additionally, if you are not having the same frequency of bowel movements that could explain today's weight.

I also wanted to clarify are you walking 5k steps total in your entire day, or do you mean that is only your workout.
Sorry Didn't Clarify, 5k during my walking, Also I live in a very hilly subdivision, so its a constant up and down, lol
Old 09-02-2015, 09:12 PM   #5  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

If you really are eating good stuff in that moderation it is water. Try weighing daily. Naked. After waking and after p!ssing and preferably sh!tting before you eat or drink anything.

My weight can fluctuate by at least 5 pounds in a single day. And there are of course weekly/time of the month variations. I used to always gain on a Tuesday, for example.

At your weight, with that diet you should be dropping it like it is hot unless you are a 6 footer.

Last edited by IanG; 09-02-2015 at 09:15 PM.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 05:33 PM   #6  

Thanks for your input. Im a shorty, 5'3 to be exact. I'm hoping next Wednesday when I weigh it will be atleast a lb down, lol then I'll feel like I'm actually doing something.
Old 09-07-2015, 03:48 PM   #7  
Because I'm worth it!

S/C/G: 365/356/145

Height: 5'6

Hey, don't get discouraged. I've let myself get discouraged over and over again and I end up relapsing into old bad habbits. Sooo many things can factor into weight gain/fluctuations.

Monthly Cycle
Consuming too much sodium
Emptying bowels/bladder before weighing
Is it a digital scale? Does it need fresh batteries? One time I was so disgusted with the number on the scale after all my hard work I actually broke down and cried. Then the next day when I put new batteries in it showed an 8 lb loss as opposed to a 3 lb gain!
Medical conditions.

If you continue to gain, I'd consider talking to your doctor! You never know what kind of pesky underlying condition could be causing you to retain or gain weight. Good luck!
Twohundred2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 11:27 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 200/185/135

Height: 5'2

What kind of scale do you have? If it's a standard one, you might be losing fat but gaining muscle or water, so even though you've really lost fat, the number stays the same.
Or, is it possible you're not eating enough for your height/weight/exercise? Or that you're eating more than you realize? Everyone is different - some people with your numbers would need to eat the 1200 to lose, others would need to go up to 1500.
I say make sure you're actually at 1200 and give it two more weeks. If you don't see any losses for the entire month, add 200-300 calories/day of the same kinds of food you're currently eating.

It will come off. Serious kudos for continuing despite the scale not cooperating.
LettuceDoThis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 03:10 PM   #9  

Thanks you guys! you're awesome, I got on the scale this morning and had gained another lb. I'm using a standard rotary scale, Im weighing my food to insure I stick to the 1200 cal diet. my BMI is over 30. it's actually 35.3 which is WAYYYY to high. I will be scheduling an appt with my dr next week to find out if he can give me some insight. Once again, Thank you for letting me know you're here.
Old 09-11-2015, 04:52 PM   #10  
I've left 3FC! Check sig

S/C/G: 195/ticker/130

Height: 5'5"

Changes in diet and routine can do weird things to your body. Even though you're being healthier and exercising, your body will take a while to adjust. Sometimes it can take more than a week for your body to begin metabolizing the way you want it to. Sodium is a big reason people stall with weight, so counter-act that by drinking water until your bladder can't hold any more! I agree with Ian, weigh in the morning in your birthday suit after you use the toilet, it's probably the most accurate reading you'll get.

Another potential is you're not eating enough, sounds crazy, but if you are used to eating a lot of food then suddenly you're on 1200 cals then your body might be thinking "what the heck, where's the food gone?!" and store away what you're eating. If after a couple of weeks of not slipping with your current routine you still have trouble, up your calories to 1600 and see what happens.
With your exercise, walking is a great way to start, but really push yourself when you're out. Walk FAST, get your heart rate UP, push yourself until you feel uncomfortable (but not in agony), that's what's gonna help you lose weight.

You can do it, just keep with it!
Riestrella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 05:00 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 230/150/150

Height: 5'7

Maybe ditch the rotary scale? I had a cheap one and it was totally inaccurate. But if you have a nice one, it's probably fine.
LesGetFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 09:04 AM   #12  

Thank you, I wanted to give an update, I got on the scale this morning, after 4 weeks of wondering what I was doing wrong and I weigh exactly 202 LBS, it may not be a lot, but its a big change for me not to see the scale where it was, I am so excited.