Old 07-10-2015, 04:37 PM   #76  

S/C/G: 272/ticker/125

Height: 5'4

Not been checking in much lately, but everything is going well. Seem to be on point with my eating this week, but last week was a bit of a shambles. I didn't overeat, but I did have a few beers one night and it just bloated me and took days for me to feel back to normal. Damn this beer garden weather we're having lately!
Been keeping up with my new exercise routine of running 3x a week, and surprisingly loving it! It's the first time I've really run for fitness and though it's difficult (since I'm so unfit), I get such a buzz out of it and feel miles better when I get home. Just need some proper running shoes, my birthday is coming up so I know what I'm asking for
Also decided to bike to work from now on, not only cos my car is in a bad way, but for the extra little bit of exercise!
Hope you're all doing well.
fuct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 03:39 PM   #77  

Height: 5'6''

fuct- good for you! I'm glad you're enjoying running.
I had several glasses of wine the last two nights (family is in town) and I've got a similar bloating effect. Oh alcohol. How I love/hate you.

Eating has not been perfect this week; not terrible, but more wine than needed and had popcorn and M&Ms last night. Not going to make the scale go down, sadly. But I had a fantastic time catching up with a cousin who I don't get to talk to very often, so I'm okay with that. Did High & Tight from Brazil Butt Lift today and wow, didn't sweat much but I may not be able to walk tomorrow. Will go for a walk later, I think. Hope you all are doing well!
charbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 11:31 AM   #78  
I've left 3FC! Check sig

S/C/G: 195/ticker/130

Height: 5'5"

Get your week 2 weights in soon to be counted towards next week's spreadsheet! If you miss your chance to weigh in but still want to participate in the challenge, please let me know in the thread

*Challenge master hat off* I've been a bit bad with chips and salsa the last few days...and having an extra slice of bread with my lunch. I eat whole grain bread most days, old habits die hard, but for a reason that can only be described as being a big piggy I've added a third slice of bread into the mix. Gonna drop that habit immediately! Crisps/chips are my downfall though, I could literally eat them constantly. I used to buy massive bags of them and demolish them no problem in one sitting. I think I'm gonna get back into calorie counting to keep myself in check. Another habit I want to drop, I don't need them - they provide no nutritional value to my diet other than pleasure.

Had a massive sushi binge last night though, omg it was DELICIOUS. A once in a while treat. I did half an Insanity yesterday, I'm still counting it since it was a tough workout while it lasted. I stopped because I felt like I was going to puke. Not sure if that was to do with the first day of my period or the fact I pushed myself too hard and too soon. Either way, it was disappointing, but I'm glad I did SOMETHING and not nothing.

Scale has sat at 166 lbs most the week, but dropped to 165 lbs at some point so I'm going to use that as this weeks weight. Hoping after my period disappears and this bloat dies down I'll see some weight loss again. But I can't say I've been trying my best - time to remedy that!

--------------------------------------------

fuct - That's so great you're finding running so fulfilling! It's a great feeling when you're done with a tough workout. I think you'll notice the difference with proper running shoes too, I got some to support my high arches and I've never looked back. Biking to work is a great idea!

char - How are the legs after your workout? I always like to use the 90%/10% rule towards food - if I'm good 90% of the time then I give myself a break if I eat crap for the 10%.

Last edited by Riestrella; 07-12-2015 at 11:31 AM.
Riestrella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 08:02 PM   #79  

Height: 5'6''

So, got a fitbit (after researching them and some others for the last month) and I love it! The website is great for tracking food, water, exercise, and sleep. It's been an adjustment to wear something on my wrist all the time, but I like it. I can get sedentary (despite working out almost daily) pretty often and wearing it is a good reminder to get up and MOVE. I've done five workouts this week (hence hitting my goal for week 2) but am contemplating what I want to do for next week. Hm...
Oh! And my brother is coming to visit in two weeks, which means I will be FINALLY getting my Insanity DVDs back!

Ries- Good for you for working out even though you weren't feeling quite up to par! It's also good that you listened to your body...never want to get to the point of puking.
Tortilla chips and spicy salsa are my kryptonite! I've had a hard time limiting myself, so it's taken lots of willpower and walking past certain aisles at Trader Joes. Surprisingly, my legs aren't sore today. I was shocked when I woke up. The workout recommends not doing it with the resistance bands and ankle weights the first time, so I used the bands only (which snapped half-way through and I had to tie together to finish). Trying it with the additional weights will likely bump up the challenge!

I have noticed there are certain areas or habits that automatically make me want to snack. For instance, if I'm picking things up or just having a lazy morning I might turn on the TV and I'm suddenly overcome with the urge to snack on something; it feels automatic almost. So now I'm working on a way to fix that by either having a cup of tea or some water instead of eating. Have any of you noticed something like this? Is there something that always makes you want to eat?
charbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 10:51 PM   #80  
I've left 3FC! Check sig

Quote:
Originally Posted by charbreaker View Post
So, got a fitbit (after researching them and some others for the last month) and I love it! The website is great for tracking food, water, exercise, and sleep. It's been an adjustment to wear something on my wrist all the time, but I like it. I can get sedentary (despite working out almost daily) pretty often and wearing it is a good reminder to get up and MOVE. I've done five workouts this week (hence hitting my goal for week 2) but am contemplating what I want to do for next week. Hm...
Oh! And my brother is coming to visit in two weeks, which means I will be FINALLY getting my Insanity DVDs back!

Ries- Good for you for working out even though you weren't feeling quite up to par! It's also good that you listened to your body...never want to get to the point of puking.
Tortilla chips and spicy salsa are my kryptonite! I've had a hard time limiting myself, so it's taken lots of willpower and walking past certain aisles at Trader Joes. Surprisingly, my legs aren't sore today. I was shocked when I woke up. The workout recommends not doing it with the resistance bands and ankle weights the first time, so I used the bands only (which snapped half-way through and I had to tie together to finish). Trying it with the additional weights will likely bump up the challenge!

I have noticed there are certain areas or habits that automatically make me want to snack. For instance, if I'm picking things up or just having a lazy morning I might turn on the TV and I'm suddenly overcome with the urge to snack on something; it feels automatic almost. So now I'm working on a way to fix that by either having a cup of tea or some water instead of eating. Have any of you noticed something like this? Is there something that always makes you want to eat?
I've been curious about fitbit's, do you find the food database is extensive enough when tracking food? Is there an app that goes with it for food tracking? Does it automatically calculate your calories burned during exercise or do you have to enter it? Sorry for all the questions, I'm just curious! Looks like a dinky little device for someone who wants to keep track of all that information. Congrats on hitting your goal! Make sure your brother doesn't forget them
Thanks! I really appreciate your support . You're right, as much as I would have loved to have finished (never walked away from an Insanity before!) I needed to listen to my body. I'm glad I'm not the only one, after all that self-pep talk about cutting the habit I had more today! Though admittedly not as much as yesterday. You're probably getting stronger and fueling your muscles adequately enough to not feel so sore, that's a good thing! Good luck with adding extra weights, I'm sure you'll feel it after that challenge.

YES, watching TV or a film makes me want to eat big time. It's like I'm a computer and my programme is to eat while TV is on. Once I managed to replace my morning ritual of watching TV with breakfast to reading a book with breakfast and I found myself not feel so hungry afterwards, it was bizarre. I know in some cultures, like Italy for example, food is something to really sit down and appreciate. So they never watch anything while eating, something I'm guilty of doing. Perhaps since I've watched TV with food for most of my life there's something in my brain that subconsciously associates TV with food. It's the only time I feel it, if I'm drawing or playing the piano I don't think "mmm, I could use a snack!"
Old 07-13-2015, 11:48 AM   #81  
I've left 3FC! Check sig

Here are the Week 2 Charts everyone!

If you want to join the challenge then please let me know! I will need your weight from the previous week to enter onto the spreadsheet . Please feel free to join up!
If you missed the deadline for submitting your weight for previous weeks, let me know in the thread how much you weighed last week - I will then add your name to the current weeks spreadsheet + your previous weight. Your information is still being stored, you are not out of the challenge if you don't see your name on the current spreadsheet!

Enter your workout goal (or "No Goal" for those who are just weighing) for this week here!
Old 07-13-2015, 12:28 PM   #82  
Irish dance addict

S/C/G: 145/145.4/125

Height: 5' 3"

I was doing very well for the first few days last week, but by Thursday I was on the struggle bus and now am up a pound. I have an issue where any slightly upsetting factor really drives me off the tracks and I can't seem to get back on track. Stressful day at work? Eat all evening and no exercise! Ant invasion in the home? Eat all evening and no exercise! And it makes me feel great during that time. It's not even necessarily the act of eating lots so much as the release of stress. I don't have to count calories, cook dinner, make it to dance class, clean, etc. etc. etc., so my stress leaves and I'm fine.

I need a better coping mechanism.

Feis update - there were anywhere between 1 and 3 people in each competition. I ended up with four firsts, three seconds, and a second in my trophy special. First out of one isn't really something to write home about. I did have one dance where I was first of three at the highest grade level and I was very pleased with that (nice comments from judge as well, "lovely footwork" hooray!), but I'm really getting worn out by the lack of competitors. Next competition isn't until September and I'm hoping to buckle down and really get in good shape so that I don't waste any potential opportunity to advance out of beginner if there are enough people.

char - Hope your new approach to the diet/calorie counting is going well! Glad you had a good time with your cousin. One meh week isn't going to undo all the hard work you've already put in.

NNS - Good luck with all your moving madness. It will be over before you know it and things will get back to relatively normal.

DMB - Welcome! Hope you enjoy the forum and the challenge.

fuct - Sounds like you're doing great! Beer garden weather is the best, and since you're in England I'm guessing it won't last so enjoy while you can.

Ries - I have the exact same issue with chips (crisps). I can demolish the entire bag no problem. Even when I dish out normal portions, I keep getting up and going back for thirds, fourths, etc. But when I don't keep them in the house, I want them and end up with a binge on foods I didn't really want while trying to satisfy the chips craving. So my experiments to give them up have not been successful, love them too much! Best of luck on kicking them to the curb.
atmos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 03:11 PM   #83  
I've left 3FC! Check sig

atmos - I know exactly how you feel. When I lost my job last year I spent a whole month not looking after myself. I would order pizza, eat chips and swill it all down with Coke. I gained about 10 lbs in that short time. It was a crazy spiral out of control for my health, but I'm sad to say it really did make me feel better when I was eating what I wanted. I think that's why it's so difficult to lose weight sometimes, because our pleasure responses to food is so great that it's easy to cave in to temptation. But ultimately, eating food isn't going to fix any of the problems we have, it's merely a distraction. I always try to tell myself "is it really worth it?" and try to place that moment in time in the greater context that is my struggle with my weight. Congrats on the competition! Sounds like you did really well, but I can imagine how it must feel knowing there's not as many participants. Have you thought about dabbling in other styles of dance?
Old 07-13-2015, 06:06 PM   #84  

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riestrella View Post
I've been curious about fitbit's, do you find the food database is extensive enough when tracking food? Is there an app that goes with it for food tracking? Does it automatically calculate your calories burned during exercise or do you have to enter it? Sorry for all the questions, I'm just curious! Looks like a dinky little device for someone who wants to keep track of all that information. Congrats on hitting your goal! Make sure your brother doesn't forget them
Not part of the challenge, just lurking. But regarding the Fitbit... it links up nicely with a MyFitnessPal account, which I find to be the best food tracker out there. Then, MFP automatically adjusts your calories burned and available calories based on the steps you take daily. Most models do not include a heart rate monitor function, so any "real exercise" needs to be entered manually in MFP (but still crosses over into the fitbit platform). They go really nicely together. As a daily weigher, I also really like the fitbit aria scale which automatically enters my weights into Fitbit and MFP.

Hope that helps!
shelflife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 07:02 PM   #85  
I've left 3FC! Check sig

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelflife View Post
Not part of the challenge, just lurking. But regarding the Fitbit... it links up nicely with a MyFitnessPal account, which I find to be the best food tracker out there. Then, MFP automatically adjusts your calories burned and available calories based on the steps you take daily. Most models do not include a heart rate monitor function, so any "real exercise" needs to be entered manually in MFP (but still crosses over into the fitbit platform). They go really nicely together. As a daily weigher, I also really like the fitbit aria scale which automatically enters my weights into Fitbit and MFP.

Hope that helps!
Thanks! That's really helpful and handy to know, I've used MFP on and off for years now and find it to be one of the better calorie trackers out there.
Old 07-14-2015, 11:12 AM   #86  
Irish dance addict

S/C/G: 145/145.4/125

Height: 5' 3"

Ries - I think I need to pause and ask myself just that - if it's really worth it. Because sometimes yes, it is, but oftentimes it is not. Thank you for the dance congratulations! Actually some wonderful news on that front. I shared my feis results with my teacher at class last night and she told me to sign up for all novice dances (and prizewinner where applicable) at my next feis as there has been so few competitors lately at beginner level and she is comfortable with my skills to be novice. I am SO EXCITED. I have finally earned my solo dress, my first major goal. I now have motivation to keep working harder and harder as I want to show at my next competition in September that I truly belong at the higher level by scoring well.
atmos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 12:30 PM   #87  
I've left 3FC! Check sig

After feeling like I've been in a bit of a funk in general for the last couple of weeks I think I'm ready to start progressing towards a more productive lifestyle. One of my best friends emailed me and detailed all these amazing things she's doing, such as volunteering and studying as well as being social. It was really inspiring to read, it made me think that I could be doing just as many things to better myself too. The slump I've been in has really affected my weight, I'm hovering at 167 lbs the last couple of days, which has been quite unsettling but not surprising. Today I'm going to eat clean, drink water consistently throughout the day and do a workout. I can do that!

-----------

atmos - Wonderful news, congratulations!
Old 07-14-2015, 01:57 PM   #88  

S/C/G: 286/Signature/200

Height: 5'7"

atmos Grats on advancing to novice!

I'm experiencing a lot of sore muscle which kind of alters my plans for this week. Last week, I did steady state cardio on all workout days and this week the plan was to go back to HIIT cardio. I don't know what happened, but I'm thinking my muscles may be trying to adjust to the steady state cardio lol. I don't think I'll be able to do any HIIT for a couple of days. This means that the only time I can actually do it would be Sunday on my last workout day. This sucks because I'm going to a party on Saturday and I'll be on my feet all night. And if that's not enough- I volunteer at the nursing home on Sundays transporting residents to church service. I love doing it, but I'm gonna be sore, sore, sore, haha.

My arms are also pretty sore, but they only stay sore for a day or two. I work through the soreness when it comes to my arms, though.

Even with all of the potential soreness, I am looking forward to the rest of this week
wundertales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 03:42 PM   #89  
I've left 3FC! Check sig

TMI alert!

So after a long day of water drinking, mindful eating, doing an Insanity workout and having a few poops my weight has dropped 1.2 lbs over night. Huzzah! I'm now bang on 166 lbs, which is extremely encouraging to see. Whenever I get back on track (especially with water intake) my body seems to crap out (literally!!) all the badness that's inside.

I'm going to rest today, but tomorrow I'll be doing a weight lifting workout which are always tough. As much as I would love to be able to be someone who can work out 6 times a week, I really do savour these rest days. My philosophy is one day working out = one day rest. Unless it's yoga, in which case I workout the day after. I'm on track for keeping my 4x a week goal though, which pleases me!
Old 07-15-2015, 07:04 PM   #90  

S/C/G: 243/ticker/136

Height: 5'2"

Would love to be added to this challenge! I know I don't have a lot of time but want to jump on the bus and hope someone will hold me more accountable!

I am notorious for eating bad when I'm on my days off - which are also the two days I don't work out during the week... I went from 241lbs down to 237... After my two days of not eating healthy or only eating semi-healthy I am back up to 240.

Put me on that list! I gotta get my behind in gear!

Are you going to host another one of these for Fall Riestrella?

Last edited by MrsClayton; 07-15-2015 at 07:06 PM.
MrsClayton is offline   Reply With Quote