Old 01-04-2015, 03:22 PM   #1  

S/C/G: SW:171 CW:see ticker GW 120

Height: 5'1

Default pressure to eat un healthy

I went to brunch all the other woman were talking about wanting to lose weight.they all ate cheesecake and big meals.I ordered off the skinny menu and they kept joking with me trying to get me to order something else.Ive noticed this more as the holidays rolled around.One unhealthy meal adds up if you do it often enough.I prefer eating healthy anyway.Im not sure how to handle it going foward.
skittlesfirehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 06:18 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 200+/160.8/135

Height: 5'5.5

Just say "thanks but I'm good!" when they suggest something. I find that talking about it as little as possible helps since the food pushers eventually lose interest Good for you for sticking to your plans!
Dottington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 06:54 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 285/280/175

Height: 5'6

The same thing happens to me everytime I go out to eat with friends or family. It makes me feel as though me trying to lose weight is pointless, or a lost cause to them - like I can't do it so I might as well just stuff my face. I must admit, I cave in much more than I'd like too I try to make jokes like "yeah, like I need more muffins for my muffin top" and they seem to back off a little bit. Lol A simple "no thanks" should work too, but my family can't take a hint.

Important for us to believe we can do it and stick to our plan. Only eat what we want, when we want! Hope it gets better for you
Miss V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 07:03 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 235/192/140

Height: 5'2"

This happens to me all the time with friends but with drinking! I try to stay away from alcohol for all the obvious reasons but it is so prevalent and because I've always been a drinker it literally weirds people out when I pass on a beer.I try to make a joke or offer to buy them a round but the pressure is not fun when I already want to.
ohclementine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 08:09 PM   #5  

S/C/G: SW:171 CW:see ticker GW 120

Height: 5'1

They're guilty because it reminds them that they aren't making healthy choices.im only 16-26lbs left to go depending on where I stop but I've worked far to hard.
skittlesfirehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 08:23 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 300/145/160

Height: 5'10

Food pushers are only trying to get you to eat because it makes them feel better about how much they are eating. Just get what you want, not what makes them feel better.
Calicofox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 10:20 PM   #7  
Mandy

S/C/G: 153/153/120

Height: 5'5'' or 165cm

I know, it does tend to be pretty awful. I do agree that people do want to feel better about eating unhealthy themselves most of the time, but I try not to take it as a sign of selfishness or wanting to take me down particularly - they probably don't even realize it, but it can be weird to have the choices they keep promising themselves to make sitting in front of them like that.

For awkward situations like these, my dad gives some great advice - joke your way out of it! I usually point out this mentality (since they probably don't even notice it) by playing around and saying something along the lines of, "no, guys, don't drive me out of my way!" or "no, I've been doing so well, don't do this to me!" and they'll laugh along since they can relate to the struggle of eating healthy all the time.
wendybirdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 10:45 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 285/280/175

Height: 5'6

OhClementine, I have the same issue with alcohol. I love going out on the weekends and enjoying different beers and drinks. I too have a hard time dealing with the pressure because I'm already upset that I can't drink like I want to. I know that the alcohol has been a huge roadblock for my weight loss
Miss V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 10:59 PM   #9  
wants to look good naked

S/C/G: 200/171.8/135

Height: 5'5"

I agree with everyone but I truly understand where you are coming from. My boyfriend is a terrible food pusher... that and I have a very low resistance to temptation when it's right in my face. Perfect example, he came home after work with pizza, cookies, and ice cream. I can't be mad but my scale is.

actually he's the reason I'm back on this site after so many years. I hit my goal, maintained for two years. But a year and a half into our relationship and i'm up 40 lbs... grrr. love makes you fat.

Last edited by dizzysoi; 01-04-2015 at 11:01 PM.
dizzysoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 10:36 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 235/192/140

Height: 5'2"

I think y'all are right about some of the reasons people try to push food/unhealthy habits on you.

@Miss V I totally agree, it is hard! I consistently dieted/exercised for 4 months and wasn't losing and it was because I was drinking (even when accounted for the drinks calorie wise) I also was holding a ton of water weight because of the dehydration (I am already bad at drinking enough water... drinking a glass now since I'm thinking of it..haha) I feel way better these days, but if I do indulge (Christmas Mimosas were too hard to pass up) I generally feel like crap almost instantly now.

@dizzysoi, Congrats on hitting your goal before, you have already done it! You will do it again! About your boyfriend. that is a relatable situation! my boyfriend is the same and he is thin and has a great metabolism and LOVES to snack and eat traditional unhealthy but delicious southern food. I also gained a ton of weight during our relationship. He brings me 'treats' to make me feel better, like a cupcake or something if I'm having a rough day which is very sweet of him but I had to explain that I'm trying to break my unhealthy behavior towards food and eating when I'm upset is one of them, he's been way better about it he rarely suggests we eat unhealthy or encourages me to eat something bad. Have you tried talking to your bf? Is he supportive of your weightloss goals?

Last edited by ohclementine; 01-05-2015 at 10:37 AM. Reason: spelling error
ohclementine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 10:45 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

It's so hard when others are tempting you with things that you already want! Every time you say NO and stick to it you make yourself stronger. I tell people that my tastes have changed and I no longer like that food, even when I'm dying for some.
Wannabehealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 04:16 AM   #12  

You have to stick to your guns! They'll be the ones who will struggle
with extra pounds, while you'll be eating your way to lesser weight!
soexcited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 06:20 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 181/148.8/129

Height: 5'3"

I don't understand this behavior. Superficially I do, I suppose it makes them feel better or they really just don't understand how this works. But what someone else is eating doesn't impact me that much; if it impacts me at all, I admire them. If they suddenly began eating poorly I wouldn't fell better that I am, too.

My mom insisted on feeding my fiancé junk food and soda, mass amounts. When I told him to watch it, she insisted he eat and drink whatever he want. I guess she thought I was being silly, that drinking a case or two of soda and eating an extra large bag of chips in a week would have no long term impact.
Doomkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 07:02 PM   #14  
me

S/C/G: 299/135/fit

unfortunately, it makes a lot of people feel guilty because they aren't making the right choices, even though they know they should. I used to get food pushers all the time, many of them my own family members. But, after I stuck to a polity "no", they stopped. Now they just joke about how little I eat (which I take issue with) but there's not much you can do but smile and let it roll off your shoulders.
kisskiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 01:30 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 200/185/135

Height: 5'2

*not smiling*
"Please stop commenting on what I eat."

Repeat ad nauseum. If they keep talking after you politely ask them to stop, they look rude. And in the end, it's more about them than you.

or you could just say, "Need to save room for the double bacon cheeseburger and fries I'm having for dinner!"
LettuceDoThis is offline   Reply With Quote