Old 08-12-2014, 05:42 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 223/197/120

Height: 5'5

Default Do you compensate for a bad food day the following day?

Hi all!

I had a heavy dinner and was thinking about how I could make things better. I'm not necessarily upset that I overate tonight but I do what to feel like I accomplished something at the end of the week.
I've always had the mentality of paying tomorrow for today's indulgences. Do you guys think the same way? Would love to know.

Thanks
muguet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 06:09 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 305/154.6/???

Height: 5ft 3

That's at least what I try to do.

When I first started this journey, I surreptitiously paid attention to how my "naturally slim/slender/skinny" friends and family members handle stuff like this... um, that sounds like I'm a total weirdo
But hey, I've been overweight or obese all my life, so clearly I had missed something when it came to weight control
Anyways, that's how they do it, so I just copied them. Has worked fine thus far.

Last edited by JenteIsving; 08-12-2014 at 06:39 PM.
JenteIsving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 08:02 PM   #3  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

Yes. It's one of the best tricks in the weightloss book.

You can also frontload, or have a very light breakfast and lunch if you are expecting a heavy dinner.

Last edited by IanG; 08-12-2014 at 08:03 PM.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 09:03 PM   #4  
Getting my life back

S/C/G: 192.2/ticker/120

Height: 5'

I fontload, as Ian said, a LOT. I love going out and going to games, so I'll eat light in the morning all the time in anticipation of a bigger dinner.

I've also ate light in the morning after having a bigger dinner. My weekly average is usually almost at mark, my daily can be a little over, a little under a lot.
kurisitaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 11:32 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 200+/160.8/135

Height: 5'5.5

Yep! Also, after eating a bit over one day(or couple days ) I find I'm actually not that hungry anyways so its pretty easy. I've also done what Ian and Kurisitaru do if I plan on going out to dinner or to an event
Dottington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 03:06 PM   #6  
Call me NNS!

S/C/G: 232.6/169.4/149

Height: 5'5"

I sure do. I used to think that I had to eat three meals a day no matter what, so if I had a bad food day, the next day I would still eat three solid meals. And then I'd still be hungry. And it was just a terrible cycle of unsatiated hunger and too much eating. Now I know I can power through without as many calories the day after a blow out meal, or I try to plan ahead as others have mentioned.
nonameslob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 01:31 AM   #7  
Meow

S/C/G: HW: 285+ / tracker

Height: 5'4"ish

Honestly, about 50% of time. It's more of how I feel after that day. There's different factors that lead me feeling bad about the day, and some that leave me feeling like it was no big deal. For example, what if I also have been slowly losing weight lately? Maybe it's time to really try to make up for it. Or "Hey, I've been doing good, what's one day gonna hurt me?" And if I choose to not compensate and I gained 2 or 3 pounds, in 2 or 3 days I can lose it all back. No need to rush! If, for whatever reason, I feel guilty then yes cutting back helps lose the weight quicker—not to mention how I feel less guilty quicker.

Additionally, moments like this can help think about the future and plan ahead. Next time there's an enormous amount of food available, how do I approach? Eat and fix it tomorrow (or punish myself because let's be honest sometimes people tend to be a little hard on themselves)? Control myself and have less work for me to do tomorrow? Or avoid it altogether and stay on track.
bugsiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 06:10 AM   #8  
(they're flowers)

S/C/G: 174/*ticker*/125

Height: 5'4''

Hmmm, I typically do what Ian says as well, but if I didn't anticipate a heavy dinner that occurred anyway, I absolutely do try to compensate for it. Sometimes I try to compensate the whole week for a bad meal, and other times, just one meal. It really depends on the degree of guilt I have for indulging in /that specific/ meal, so to speak.
Atarimae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 11:12 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 215/187/150

Height: 5' 7"

I typically try to eat most of my calories at the beginning of the day (I run after 2 toddlers all day). So if I have a bad dinner (say, holiday cookouts...) I compensate by eating less the next morning. Normally I'm less hungry then anyway.
BlueDogWeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 01:35 PM   #10  
Vi

S/C/G: 275/ticker/175

Height: 5'7"

I typically try to compensate the next day to round out the numbers. Or if it's earlier in the day I fix it the same day. Like today, I got a divine cream cheese cupcake. Wayyy too many calories so that was my lunch. Not a healthy lunch, no but it not an everyday thing so I think it should be fine, and I always remember to take my vitamins.
vsmith85 is offline   Reply With Quote