3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   20-Somethings (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/20-somethings-56/)
-   -   So I got a new scale... (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/20-somethings/298362-so-i-got-new-scale.html)

muguet 08-04-2014 07:19 AM

So I got a new scale...

I just switched to a digital scale for more precision and I'm 9 pounds heavier than I thought...

I'm feeling kind of :(

I guess I'm no longer living in denial!

cheddahcat 08-04-2014 09:46 AM

My digital scale ( new as of this May) has a mind of its own. Up/ down/ up etc. I can't find a stable reading on it. I'm ready to chuck it through a wall. Other scales ( digital at work) seem consistent. But think work would frown on weighing myself naked :lol:

Riestrella 08-04-2014 10:15 AM

Did you test your old/new scale with a dumbbell weight or something like that? If it is accurate, that does suck, but you just have to keep moving forward! Don't let it stop you.

muguet 08-04-2014 10:34 AM

cheddhacat thanks for relating! I kinda wanted to throw it out too!

riestrella I haven't done a test, I think I will! I don't think it's wrong though, the scale I was using before was pretty old and inconsistent... thanks for the support :)

skittlesfirehawk 08-04-2014 01:01 PM

My new scale is a lb lighter I feel like I'm cheating almost

Dottington 08-04-2014 01:29 PM

This happened to me when I first started :/ My old scale had been weighing me 5lbs lighter. It does suck, but try not to dwell. Th important thing is that you're making changes and losing weight!

cheddahcat 08-04-2014 04:20 PM

dottington true. I hate defining my day by the number on the scale. Will try better tomorrow not to
riestrella yes I have done the test with my hubby's 5kg kettle bell. I walked around the house in bra and undies setting the scale down in different "flat" spots of different rooms. Every time measured 5 kg. every time I stepped on it, different reading ugh :censored:
Muguet I feel your frustration :dz:

Mickeypnd 08-04-2014 07:15 PM

Hugs! I'm sorry and I can relate. Although mine happened when I went into my weight watchers meeting thinking I was down four pounds and I actually gained almost a full pound.
But the good thing is that your on a new and healthy lifestyle!

tinneranne2 08-05-2014 12:20 AM

Ouch. I can see why that would initially be upsetting.

but hey, look at it this way:
- your measurements did not increase by 9lbs.
- you do not look 9lbs heavier in the mirror.
- your clothes are not suddenly 9lbs tighter.

The number itself doesn't really matter...it is just a simple way to measure changes. My scale might be totally totally wrong about the number it shows, but it correctly measures changes in my weight all the same. Thats good enough for me. I don't need to know exactly what I weigh, because there isn't a number that will magically make me happy with my body. When I am happy with how I look, I wont need the scale to verify it for me. The scale just lets me know if I'm trending up or down.

Don't let it get it you. You are the same person you were on your other scale. :)

muguet 08-05-2014 10:17 AM

skittlesfirehawk let's trade!!

Dottington thanks for the support :) I'm trying to tell myself exactly that :)

Mickeypnd thanks Mickey :) that's also how I feel when I go to the doctor's office. I try not to look/ask since I just want to refer to the scale at have at home. It just doesn't make sense to keep thinking about a scale you don't have at home.

tinneranne2 thanks for that, you're absolutely right. I'm slowly getting past it but it's a hard truth to swallow.

Thanks so much everyone :)

MauiKai 08-05-2014 10:54 AM

What brand of scale do you all have?

MauiKai 08-05-2014 10:56 AM

Oh and another thing I was always curious about, WHY weigh naked? I mean I understand that clothing can be heavier/lighter such a jeans vs linen pants etc. But I always just weigh in my PJs each morning. I'm certainly not going to get naked in the kitchen to weigh in Haha!

skittlesfirehawk 08-05-2014 04:07 PM

i weigh in with just a nightgown on.I would def check it with something you know the weight of

nonameslob 08-05-2014 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MauiKai (Post 5051842)
Oh and another thing I was always curious about, WHY weigh naked? I mean I understand that clothing can be heavier/lighter such a jeans vs linen pants etc. But I always just weigh in my PJs each morning. I'm certainly not going to get naked in the kitchen to weigh in Haha!

I don't wear PJs, so it's just a matter of walking from bed to scale ;)

muguet 08-05-2014 07:01 PM

I definitely keep my pjs on, haha.

MauiKai I have a Starfrit, a standard one from Canadian Tire.