Closed Thread

Old 07-18-2003, 10:46 AM   #1  
Divine Gal

Thumbs down Vacation

This past week I went to maryland to visit with my parents.My mom has lost over 35 lbs on weight watchers.She looks great and she stays so busy.While there she told me about weight watchers and both my husband and I decided to do it also.
Old 07-18-2003, 11:46 AM   #2  

I love going to visit my family cause they always give me great weight loss inspiration. My brother runs track, so was definatly a prime motivator in me getting my butt in gear. I actually ended up spreading the weight watchers gospel to my mom who has been leaning more towards the pill methods as of late, and I know thats not healthy for her.
Old 07-18-2003, 11:52 AM   #3  

That is great...and it's even better to have a person to get support from!! it's a great thing to lose weight aside from looking better, your health improves dramatically!! I have only lost about 15lbs (I'm 171 now) but just that...I my stomch issues and heartburn are gone!! So...use this board to support you and answer your questions. It's a great tool for your journey!!!!

Good Luck!!!!
Old 07-18-2003, 08:26 PM   #4  
Divine Gal

well so far so good...If I keep this up I will be good to go.

But I have a question... I am very concious about going out right now to gyms and walking...Is there something *exercise* I can do in my home to help me lose this weight.I have a rider but i don't feel as though its going to be enough...

So what can I do in my home to help me lose the weight?
Old 07-18-2003, 08:42 PM   #5  

I am a shy gal when it comes to gyms too You may want to go to amazon.com and peruse the excercise videos and dvds (if you're like me you might be self conscious about in store shopping for that sort of thing too.) I am a big fan of the Crunch pick your spot pilates video for a workout that makes you feel like you're doing more than waving your arms in the air and jumping up and down. Find something that will work for you though- read the reviews thoroughly and I'm sure if you see something on there someone here has tried it and can give you advice on it.
If you are still unsatisfied I can tell you from my experiences that if you were to join the YMCA as opposed to one of the glitzy gyms you are more likely to find yourself in the presence of families and people there to work out and not cruise the spandex sections for dates as I saw at the others. Also consider driving to an area away from where you live for walking. It's easier to get comfortable if you arent constantly worried about your neighbors watching. Whatever you do, keep doing it! Short term discomfort for long term personal satisfaction is a fair enough deal
Old 07-19-2003, 11:30 AM   #6  
Divine Gal

Quote:
Originally posted by Mistao
Short term discomfort for long term personal satisfaction is a fair enough deal

thanks for the tidbits and advice..
Old 07-21-2003, 10:49 AM   #7  

Hi Lynnie,

Getting over my fear of exercising in public has probably been the most difficult part of loosing weight! I have honestly discovered that most people are too worried about how they are looking to even notice who else is in the gym! Not everybody who goes to a gym has a perfect body (in fact most don't!).

I started my exercise with walking...you can really increase your fitness level by walking (plus you have the advantage of the nice summer weather).

I then moved onto aquafit...which was terrifying for me! In a swimsuit in public??!! I actually cried before I went the first time...I was so terrified and ashamed. The advantage is that it is a form of exercise that is easy on your joints to start. Additionally, it doesn't tend to attract those hard-core gym types, but is still a pretty good workout. There are city run programs where I live that are not terribly expensive.

Also - there is an exercise tape series called "Walk Away the Pounds". I haven't tried it - but I keep seeing it mentioned on the 3FC boards...might be worth checking out. I think that the series gets progressively more diffictult as you go along.

Kris
261-188-155

I am now comfortable enough that I go to the gym...Can't say that I love it...but I love the sense of pride I have each time I work out! That feeling becomes addictive!
Old 07-21-2003, 11:14 AM   #8  

Default I'll second that....

I agree with the above posters, re: going to the gym. I work for an expensive, private university, so the gym I go to is often filled with young co-eds whose goal in life is to have a perfect body! I found it very intimidating at first; it took me awhile to progress over to the strength training machines (I was only comfortable on the elliptical for awhile). But, I realized I was feeling like I "didn't belong there" and that was wrong--I have just as much right to be there as all the rest do! Just take your time, be gentle with yourself, but DO challenge yourself to make small steps in the right direction. People at the gym are generally concerned about their own routine, and how THEY look! It's a comforting thought. Hope that helps!
Old 07-23-2003, 09:47 AM   #9  

Hey Lynnie! Try not to get discouraged about going to the gym for fear of embarrassment. It has been my experience that most of the people in the gym I go to are pretty self involved and not too concerned about what I look like on the elliptical machine. Start slow, maybe just walk the track or try the treadmill. The more you go, the more often you will see people just like yourself there. People committed to improving their fitness level, no matter what their size or shape. And if people are going to laugh or stare, they will anyway. It's never happened to me, and if it does, I think that is pretty pathetic and speaks to a larger issue, primarily how poorly they feel about themselves.
Old 07-23-2003, 12:03 PM   #10  
Divine Gal

thanks everyone...
Closed Thread