Muscle Pain Help

• I was curious if anyone knows any good ways to ease sore muscles after a work out? I met with my trainer yesterday and did so many squats I can barely stand lol I've tried a hot bath/hot tub but doesnt work for me, I've been massaging my legs between typing here at work and whewwwwwwwwww it hurts! Anyone know any secrets I don't? I have another meet with trainer on Tuesday and want to be tip top, though I'm guessing I'll just have to suffer
  • A really good stretching session right after working out usually works for me. Other thing is to not push so hard/ lift so heavy that you lose performance in your next session because of soreness. What's the point in that??
  • Yeah, I didnt lift anything at all though! I think once I get used to it all It'll go a lot better. I pushed my hardest because the trainer asked me to, he also gave me breaks! Hoping by Tuesday i'll be better off, may have to tell him to work my arms or something next time instead of whole body at least I can do one different thing each time
  • there's things like deep heat and anti-flamme that might help (or at least make it feel different lol!). Apart from that, I find doing a tincy bit of exercise sometimes helps warm the muscles up and loosen them a bit again (e.g. a walk). If you're still sore on Tuesday, I'd let your trainer know- it might affect your form in some exercises and you don't want to injure yourself. Other than that, I just try to enjoy the constant reminder that I worked hard!
  • Hot compresses maybe and stretching? I did 50 squats the first time I ever worked out and could barely walk the following day but a hot bath worked for me. I hope you figure something out
  • Stretch and get a good serving of protein after a workout. Protein shakes are a great way to get a good dose and no, it won't make you look like the Hulk!
  • Thanks for that, I did do hot tub again and rub a535 and today I feel much better, still sore but nothing like the past few days! Will have to space my training out every 4 days instead of every other day, I still went to gym yesterday and walked on treadmill for 40 mins!

I will get protein shakes, I have some but they're meal replacements and not exactly what I'd need I'm sure, going to ask for assistance on that! Thanks so much
  • Try stretching before and after, apply warm compresses at work (some rice in a tube sock warmed in the microwave), and when all else fails try a little Bengay or store brand muscle rubs, they smell awful but a lot of my patients swear by it.
  • i take ibuprofen and try to stretch 'em out. if it's really bad and i'm at work or something i'll get one of those mess-free icyhot patches and wear them under my clothes (they don't smell bad, thank glob). but sore is a good feeling, right (my friend christina tells me this every time i complain about being sore)? it means you're becoming strrronggerrrrr.
  • Since I recently started the Insanity program, my muscles have been SO SORE! But what I have found to be really helpful, are: epson salt baths and this bubble bath stuff that has muscle relaxing stuff in it (wow, that probably sounded helpful, haha). Those really help me
  • This is my first post in years. I'm coming back to the forum after falling off the healthy train. I know 3fatchicks is all about motivation and not taking dangerous supplements. So I say this hoping not to get deleted immediately... I've recently been introduced to BCAA's (Leucine, Isoleucine, and Valine). I did research before trying any to make sure they weren't just another diet fad with stimulants ect. The concept has been around forever as a pre/post workout recovery regimen. They are basically amino acid supplements that help your muscles prevent lactic acid build up ect. Less acid = less soreness. They are NOT stimulants of any kind. Muscle builders swear by them. Of course that doesn't mean much to me since they also take ridiculous stimulants and other very expensive nonsense.

I only considered them because I fell off the exercise wagon for a while and got VERY sore once I started again. But I have to say, they REALLY help with soreness. The first day, I got on the treadmill for a 30 minute run / incline walk and ended up staying on for 60 min! Didn't get any cramping around 30 min like normal, and I did 2x the amount of push-ups I normally like to do. Well I hate push-ups so I normally force 2 sets of 12 and this time I easily did 4 sets. After my exercises, I got on the bike because I still didn't feel like I was spent. Total cardio was 90 min. I stayed on until I started getting hungry and then realized I probably shouldn't binge exercise if I want to keep my eating in check. I was ready to be incapacitated the next day and I wasn't! Barely felt sore at all and I did it all over again!

This is very uncharacteristic of me so I did even more research to make sure I wasn't doing something stupid. BCAA's are commonly found in meats and other foods in small amounts. Most people don't get enough of them these days and many supplements people try only allow 20% to get absorbed into the blood stream. The best way is to take the powder form and that tastes terrible and is chalky like cinnamon. Most people cannot choke it down. That must be the reason, you hardly hear about this as a good soreness supplement. The type I tried was "Tri-pep" branch amino acid made by Metabolic nutrition. This is relatively new and they found a way to make it taste like regular lemonade. Easy to add to my meal replacement then hit the gym! Tastes great (well tastes okay) by itself too! There has been a lot of gimmicky research about Luecine preventing your body going into starvation mode as well. Some say it will prevent your body from eating muscle when you reduce your caloric intake. If that is true then great! If not, I just plan my calories and my meals properly so I'm not killing progress with getting into starvation mode. I've been taking it for a week and still going strong. Hope this helps.
  • Oh yeah I forgot to mention price. $18 for 40 servings on Amazon. That's about 2 months if you work out 4-5 days a week. The initial boost was worth it to get me back into exercise. I don't know if I will keep buying or not.
  • Stretching before and after workout + consuming some magnesium additives help to prevent my muscle pain. When it’s too late, a massage or over the counter pain meds (like aspirin) can significantly reduce muscle pain after workout.