Height: 5'5"

I'm not dead, but I'm sick! I'll post up an update when I'm feeling better
Riestrella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 10:42 AM   #227  
I've left 3FC! Check sig

S/C/G: 195/ticker/130

Howdy everyone!

So sorry for my lack of activity, I seemed to have caught a sickness off Dott . I've also been preoccupied with moving out shenanigans. So far I've managed to sell a lot of my stuff, however my big furniture hasn't had any takers. There is someone coming for my desk on Saturday but I always get a feeling they're going to back out at the last minute. I wish Craigslist worked like Amazon where they have to pay for it first =S. I don't have a working PayPal and not many people have credit cards in Japan either. Luckily I've managed to sell things to my current flatmates and my boyfriend. I went and sold a duvet to someone who was 30 minutes late *grumble*. Then tried to make out that the amount I asked for wasn't the amount I put online! Some people.

So yes, what's new. I went out with my girl friends from work to an Indian place. It was so much fun! There was karaoke there too free of charge so we had a good sing song too. I sang "Let It Go" and the waiter even started to record me on his phone! I'm not a good singer, it's because we were all being silly and doing all the dramatic hand gestures that Elsa does in the film. We didn't even coordinate it, it just happened!
Last weekend I went back to my apartment and had film night. We made a Mexican feast, we had homemade salsa, guac and fajitas. Plus my female flatmate made brownies which are delicious. We watched a film called This Is England, which was really good. I think I liked it a lot because it reminded me of home since it was set in the north of England, which is where I'm from. The day after we watched "A Very Long Engagement" which I didn't find to be that good.

My boyfriend left so I was on my own so to speak from Sunday night - Wednesday. I'm selling the rice cooker hopefully on Saturday so I made sweet and sour chicken for my flatmates on Tuesday. It's a favourite! But probably because it's very much comfort food. On Wednesday I traveled to my boyfriends place, which I intend to live now until I leave. I'll go back to my apartment to tie up loose ends, but I want to spend as much time as possible with my boyfriend. My train was delayed majorly because someone committed suicide by jumping in front of the train...I spent pretty much all afternoon on a train because of it. It's so disturbing because you get annoyed that it's delayed but then you know it's because someone decided to end it all...such a huge problem in Japan that's not dealt with properly.

Today I went to the Ghibli Museum for the last time! I might go back again someday, but it won't be for a long time. It was just as magical as the previous times I've been. I've been a total of 3 times now. They were even showing the short film that I desperately wanted to see, which was based off My Neighbor Totoro which is my favourite film. My boyfriend gave me a budget in the gift shop, which was amazing since it wasn't like my birthday or anything (he did for a Christmas present one year and it was amazing, my budget was $100 and I went crazy!) This time around it was a lot less, which was absolutely fine, but I came away with some great stuff, here's a crappy picture of it: https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.n...85110794_n.jpg

After the museum we walked home (because he lives quite close to the museum, magic!) and then we went out to go to a spaghetti place. This place is a hole in the wall type cafe, it plays the most obnoxious song on a loop, the spaghetti looks greasy as heck BUT the place gets packed with customers. I've always said to the boyfriend that I want to go because it just looks so bad it has to be good, so today we finally went. It was....amazing! It was kinda expensive considering this place looks like a dive, but it's probably the best pasta I've had in Japan. It was very unhealthy though, I could just tell, but it was delicious. I'm probably going to go back one last time before I go! Kinda glad I didn't go a year ago otherwise I'd always be there and it would not have been good on my health!

Tomorrow I'm going to my favourite burger place in Tokyo, another terrible day for food but OH WELL! I'm leaving soon! Then afterwards we're going to head to my apartment. My flatmates are gone this weekend so we'll have the place to ourselves, but we're there because on Saturday I'm selling a lot of my stuff to different people. I hope all goes well, because I want to get rid of it AND I want the money! On Sunday I'm travelling to my friends place, which is kinda far away, but we're going there for another board game day. We're going to be playing the Game of Thrones board game, which is so awesome because it gets people arguing big time. He also has an adorable little kitten, I don't like cats usually but this little one melted my heart!

So...health...yeah. It went downhill again. I was on an awesome streak, I completed week 1 of my exercise goal to workout 4x a week but then once I went back to my apartment I just stopped. I don't know what it is, I think it might be because I have to settle down in the living space first before I feel ready to workout. I know that's stupid, I really do know it, but it's just how I get. When I'm back and forth travelling across Tokyo I feel so drained and I just don't even think to workout. I think living at my boyfriends place will help, but I know that I'll be back and forth until all my furniture is gone. The one thing I need to do which is like the last piece of the stress-puzzle is to arrange for someone from a recycle shop to come to the apartment and look at my furniture, which they will then offer to buy it off me and then arrange to have it removed. It's going to be a tiny amount, which sucks, but it has to be done. As soon as my furniture is gone I can relax big time! Because then it'll just all be in my own control with packing and the such.

Whew, sorry for the mega rant! milesawaygirl where you at?!

----

Dott - No, I don't have a credit card here because it's insanely hard for a foreigner to apply for one. I have a cash card but that's it. I've never had a credit card before, but I know that it's a huge deal in the US. I'm sure it's a big deal in the UK too, but I don't think it's AS big of a deal but I could be wrong. I think it's stupid...like "hey, you need to prove your responsible by being irresponsible by spending money that isn't yours." I mean, I could be far off the mark with that analogy, but I don't really understand how it all works!
Oh wow, does it bother you how strict your Dad is? I take it you guys don't follow the religion as intensely, so does he expect you to feel the same way like he does? Woah, girl, you need to slow down when you're sick!! Otherwise you'll just get so much worse or you'll feel badly for longer! I'm like a cripple when I get sick, I just curl up in a ball and say "no no NO" to all responsibility!
Old 06-30-2014, 10:30 AM   #228  
I've left 3FC! Check sig

It sure is quiet in here!! I hope everyone is ok! Not much is new with me other than moving out stuff. Finally got rid of one big piece of furniture. I also packed up my stuff on Saturday, managed to fit a fair amount into 2 suitcases but I'll be throwing out a LOT of clothes. It's amazing how much I had...a lesson learned. I thought I didn't have too much but now I think how silly I've been with buying certain trinkets that aren't easy to transport. Luckily with the boyfriend visiting me for Christmas he can pack a big suitcase and take my remaining trinkets to England in December, otherwise I would've had to part ways with a lot of sentimental items. Well...no, I probably would have sacrificed more clothes for that!

I've had an AWFUL weekend health wise...junk food, fast food, booze...it was pretty bad. I went to a friends for board game day and just drank and snacked all day. I had an awesome time though so at least it wasn't all for nothing. I know it's good to always be healthy, but sometimes when I'm out with friends I get so caught up in the moment. Whereas if I ate all that food on my own it would have been a different story!

I'm living with my boyfriend now for the next 2 and a half weeks until I move back to England. I'm actually starting to get really sad because I'll be apart from my boyfriend, but I reaaaallly want to get as close to my goal weight as possible for when he next sees me. This time I'm going to make sure he doesn't see me on Skype (or if I do webcam I'll always wear a big baggy hoody!) so I can wow him at the airport. I hope so anyway, it's a good goal to go for I think! But for now I need to concentrate on 10K training for the first race in August. I really want to beat my personal best so I need to focus on it. It will be hard because I'll be in Spain for almost 2 weeks, but I can make it work if I try my best. I also need to concentrate on my health while I'm back in England too, so for that reason it makes me look forward to being back.
Old 06-30-2014, 07:34 PM   #229  

S/C/G: 200+/160.8/135

Height: 5'5.5

Rie-So glad you were able to get rid of more furniture and the packing is going well I know it is going to be so hard for you to be away from your bf, but at least you guys will be living together for a couple weeks before you go. And I know you will really wow him once he does see you at Christmas! Its always nice to have a big goal like that to keep you going.
The Ghibli Museum sounds amazing! I'm so jealous haha The stuff you got is super cute.
So funny about the spaghetti place. I actually hate spaghetti! My mom made it so much when we were young and she would always put anise in it so it had this weird licorice flavor(she's not the best cook to say the least!) and I just can't stomach it or really most pasta for that matter. Seriously, we ate spaghetti 3x a week.
I hate credit cards myself. I know I need to get one to build credit(bc no credit is like worse than bad credit here :/) but I just don't trust them! That's good the whole internet thing won't affect it though.
My dad's strictness can be annoying, but I've learned to deal with it. He is who he is and I just let it go(or at least try to ) when he gets weird.
I'm sorry health stuff hasn't been going as well. It seems like you've been really busy though, maybe just trying to maintain till you leave would be best? You don't want to stress yourself out too much with all the prepping and trying to be strict with diet and exercise too.

I've been busy as well. My boyfriend moved this past weekend and I helped him. My brother came too and spent the weekend with us an it was really fun! Sat we woke up really early and spent 5-6 hours moving stuff up and down stairs(his new place is on the 4th floor) and then after we went and got yummy thai food. His new place is super close to the beach! Which is very awesome and it has a pool. I really like it a lot. I could easily see myself living there.
We went to the beach after lunch and me and my brother played in the waves and walked a bit while my bf relaxed. Then we went to this near by vegan place and had a delicious dinner. Later that night we celebrated with some champagne and wine and that was fun. I got tipsy and we talked and hung out on the balcony.
Sunday we went to the Science Museum and saw the Pompeii exhibit and Endeavor. The Pompeii exhibit was REALLY good, super well done, but also really sad. Especially the bodies encased in ash. Very morbid. Endeavor was cool, actually much bigger than I realized it would be! After that we went to another vegan restaurant and walked over to Echo Park lake to eat. We did sooo much walking that day!
It was a really busy, fun weekend. I didn't have any way to measure the food I ate since my bf's kitchen isn't really functional yet and we ate out for almost every meal. I only eat out once or twice a week usually so that was a lot of eating out for me. I tried to eat intuitively, made educated guesses on the calorie counts, and stayed active. I never felt stuffed and didn't feel like I over ate at all.
I was really disappointed today to step on the scale and to see I weighed in 5lbs heavier. Last week I was going mad bc I was eating perfectly, exercising a lot, and the scale wouldn't budge. If anything I was under eating for the amount of exercise I was doing, and NOTHING. So this is really bothering me. I've decided to lower my calories this week and will be doing a little less intense exercise. Next week I will be gone backpacking and I want to be completely rested for it. I was getting serious muscle fatigue last week and I can still feel it. Thursday I'm doing the peak otherwise I'm just doing light cardio each day.

Nutrition wise I've decided to incorporate a little juicing into my diet. I really like it and it is filling. I'm not going to replace my meals with juice of course though, bc that would be crazy. But I'm going to supplement my meals. Like for breakfast I had a carrot/apple juice, some mango, and a hard boiled egg. I was surprised how filling the juice was. I think I will definitely do it for breakfast and maybe in the evening too to help with late night cravings.

Exercise is obviously not an issue. I've actually been exercising too much and need to force myself to calm down a bit.

I feel so anxious about my weight. I simply want to be DONE. I'm so close to my goal. I know its not a race, but I didn't lose a single pound in June

I'm posting some pics from the weekend. First is me and my brother at the thai place, then me and my bf at the beach, then us at the rose garden at Exposition Park near the science center. Also one of Endeavor since space ships are cool
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0733.jpg (29.0 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0740.jpg (26.9 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0746.jpg (45.1 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0751.jpg (49.2 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0758.jpg (50.5 KB, 6 views)
Dottington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 02:19 AM   #230  
I've left 3FC! Check sig

I need to get back on track. All the preparations to move out have really thrown a wrench in my gears and I'm stuck. The weather is getting warmer too, which is always a problem for me. I come from a cold country, so the thought of exercising in humidity is terrifying! I can probably get out on a run at dusk, so I just need to go out and do it and not waste anymore time. I want to run a 10K NEXT MONTH and beat my personal best, if I just sit around and don't do anything then I won't beat it.
I think my problem is that I'm subconsciously waiting to get back to England before I get back into a healthy routine. I know it'll be a LOT easier for me to be healthy in England since I'll be living with my parents and they'll get healthy food in if I ask. So the problem is is that I'm not being healthy NOW which will no doubt make me gain weight. I don't handle stress very well in that I will completely abandon my healthy routine to sort out an area of my life that needs immediate attention. So the move back to England is priority number one and my health isn't, when really my health should ALWAYS be a priority no matter what. I've just got loose ends to deal with now and I'm getting help too, so there's no reason for me to be complacent and not exercise/eat better.

Sorry to vent, but I really need to tell myself off for being lazy!

In other news I bought myself a new bikini today...man, I hate shelling out so much money for a bikini! It costed me £41/$82 . I remember linking to a black top with white/blue stripes but it was really expensive so I went for the red one (http://www.asos.com//Pour-Moi/Pour-M...px?iid=3162412). I already have a red bikini, but it's brighter than the new one I bought so that's how I justified it. I do really like this one, it's a lovely shade of red. I just hope it fits ok! It's got ties at the back so it's the cup size I'm worried about, hopefully my Ginormous G cups will fit!
This time in 2 weeks I'll be living out my last few days in Japan . This time in 3 weeks, however, I'll be in sunny Spain with my family.

This weekend I'll hopefully sell a big piece of furniture, which means I just have 1 piece left but I'm going to get help selling that to a recycle shop this weekend. So hopefully by next week I'll have all my furniture gone, I'll have packed up everything and disposed of all the things I'm not taking with me, then I can finally relax and just worry about getting to the airport on time! Thankfully the boyfriend is coming with me to the airport, so I'll have help with my cases at least. Socially I'll be hanging out with my co-worker on Sunday, he's planning a BBQ so that should be fun. Next weekend I'm going to karaoke with my housemates for the last time! I really will miss Japanese karaoke...I love it so much. I'm going to wear a red dress I bought last Christmas, it's got black roses on and it's pretty glittery, which usually puts me off but I actually kinda like it on this dress, because I've never worn it before and I brought it to Japan so I want to justify bringing it over! I'll look way overdressed but I don't care!

Dott - Are you going to move in with him in that place once you graduate? I forgot if you've already said so, but if yes then I'm really glad you love the place! I would love to have a house near nature, whether it's a beach or a forest. Sure I live near a park now, but it's just not the same!
As for your weight...I really think you're over working yourself and not eating enough to compensate for that change. The body needs fuel to keep the fire burning, if you were exercising loads and not eating enough food then you will notice a stall in weight. You know this, I'm sure, but sometimes it's good to hear it again. You admitted you were under eating, so there's your problem. You also said you've been working out too much and not giving your muscles time to recover, you've practically figured out why you've not seen your weight drop! My advice would be to relax, take it easy. Have a rest day. What workouts are you doing? If you feel your body needs a rest then listen to it. Your gain is no doubt from all the eating out you did. Sure, you can eat at healthy places and make good decisions, but you still don't know everything that goes into the food so it's hard to be sure unless you watch the chef make your food! So don't worry, drink loads of water and you'll see that weight drop. You are very close to your goal and you're beginning to get impatient with yourself. It's a journey and you want to sprint to the finish line, but you'll wear yourself out physically and mentally with all the extra effort to get there faster. Just slow down, like you said, relax and enjoy where you're at now. You look AMAZING and I know, I know...you just want to hit that goal number, but you should marvel at your own progress and not worry so much about a goal weight. You've come so far and you deserve to be happy.
I really like juices/smoothies, but I'm the same I couldn't do a diet that's purely liquid! I think having a breakfast smoothie is a great idea. I'm actually quite upset your Mum ruined spaghetti for you!! Oh my goose, what was she thinking?! That sounds disgusting!! Did you ever tell her how bad it was?? I hope someday you can taste proper spaghetti and realise it's not what you remember!! Can you eat spaghetti if you wanted to with your gluten allergy? I'm an absolute newb when it comes to gluten stuff!
Old 07-03-2014, 02:24 AM   #231  

Rie-You're so right and I really needed that real talk from you I see how I've become too focused on losing the weight fast and need to calm down a bit and trust in the process. I really have become far too impatient! I know what's going on, I know that when I over exercise and don't eat enough my weight stalls. I've been taking it easy and trying to calm down a bit, its hard though ya know? Its really easy for me to fall into bad past mindsets and behaviors.
You know, I have this fantasy one day I'll find a spaghetti I love! haha there are tons of gluten free pasta products. I actually prefer them to regular pasta. I really like corn pasta. We would always tell my mom, but she would insist that we we the crazy ones haha She thinks our palates are strange She is truly one of the most awful cooks I've ever met, and she really will try too. I don't know, its like she's just really bad at imagining what things will taste like mixed together. Sometime I'll have to tell you about the time she made soup without water! lol I've actually tried to help her/teach her since I LOVE to cook and make almost all my own food, but she is stubborn
I love the color of the swimsuit(and I've recently discovered asos and have been drooling over all the pretty dresses).
The dress sounds really pretty and I'm glad you're getting a chance to wear it. I'm almost always overdressed, I love to dress up. You will rock that dress and have an awesome time! In little tokyo there are karaoke places, my fiance actually is really into it haha I'm too scared to sing in front of ANYONE, but he's been trying to drag me. I'm sure when you move to New York they'll have places, probably not as good as the ones in Japan though...
You're right that health should always be a priority, everything else suffers when we sacrifice our health. I think when it comes to health, it has to be something you aren't willing to comprise on. Our bodies are these amazing gifts and taking care of them and nourishing them is a treat and should be enjoyable. I try to think like this(but have really forgotten it lately!). It helps me stay on track. I know you can get on track, you've come really far and you know what you need to do. Think of being on plan as giving yourself a gift

Backpacking Trip
I'm having a good but busy week. I'm getting really excited for the backpacking trip. I'm not nervous this year, just really anxious to get up that mountain! lol I've done so much prepping. Last night I made the menu, made up the recipes, and made a shopping list. It took 3 f*ing hours!!! Ugh, it was A LOT of work to make the recipes work(have to be gluten free, have to be almost entirely dairy free since I can't be popping lactaid pills for every meal or it'll stop working, vegetarian of course, light weight, can be prepped in advanced, all dry ingredients). I went to the market today for supplies. Here's the menu:

Sunday

D: Veggie tacos(we're driving in sunday to camp at the base so can use heavier ingredients/perishables)

Monday

B: Oatmeal with dried fruit and nuts

L: Bars, trail mix, dried fruit, jerky etc

D: Curry Noodle Soup

Tuesday

B: Cheezy Eggs with Bacon

D: Pesto Pasta with beef

Wed

B: Breakfast couscous

D: Mac and Cheese with meat

Thursday

B: Cheezy egg and potato skillet

D: Curry coconut rice with chicken

Friday

B: Oatmeal with dried fruit and nuts

L: Bars, trail mix, dried fruit, jerky

Leaving Friday so no dinner. Obviously all the noodles are gluten free, all the meats are soy/tvp, and all the cheese is vegan.
Tomorrow I'm going to Palm Springs to my parents house to make up the meal packets. I'll take some pics so you can get an idea of what the food looks like. Grabbing my pack, sleeping bag, tent, and mat and also some gear for my hiking buddy. Also going to make a trip to the store for anything else I might need(gloves, headlamp) and some cheap workout/winter clothes. I might check out the thrift stores if the regular stores don't have anything(kind of hard to find jackets and sweaters in Palm Springs in the summer when its 110F lol)

Exercise
Have been taking it super easy this week in preparation for the trip. I want to be totally rested and free from any little injuries/fatigue I might have gotten from the overexercising. Just been doing very light cardio. Did the bike for 90min Monday and went on a 83min walk today. This weekend I really want to get some rollerblades and rollerblade to the beach It's been a little challenging to stop myself from exercising intensely, but I can tell my body is totally worn out and needs this break. We'll probably be hiking 8 hours a day on the trip

Nutrition
I've readjusted my calories since I'm not working out so much and its gone really well so far. I love my morning carrot juice with breakfast and I've been trying to eat very intuitively. That rating system I posted before really helps me understand my cravings and needs better. When I get back from the trip I kind of want to try something new nutrition wise....I've been getting bored and have been looking at some of the intermittent fasting threads and intuitive eating as well. Hmm. Might just stick with what I've been doing though Also still considering taking a maintenance break to reset my body. I've been hearing that being in calorie deficits for too long and losing weight for too long can cause stalls(like the crazy stalls I've experienced) and that taking a break can help reset your body and its "set point". Not sure if I totally buy it, but it might be what I need. My body is like, determined to stay at or around 140.

Weight
Finally dropped to 137 today! I'm very excited for that because I'd been stuck at 138 and bouncing up, then coming back down for what felt like FOREVER. After the trip the scale will probably be very weird for a week or two(which sucks since I'll probably have an awful final weigh-in for the bikini challenge). I will probably gain tons of water weight from muscle repair. I always lose weight backpacking though, its just takes time to show up.
Old 07-06-2014, 08:12 AM   #232  

Leaving today guys! Be back in a week!
Old 07-06-2014, 10:47 PM   #233  
I've left 3FC! Check sig

Ahh, Dott, I'm gonna miss you! I think it will practically be me talking to myself for a week, haha. But I have to stay accountable somewhere! So if you're new and you're reading my crazy ramblings please don't be scared, come and talk to me!

On Friday I went to sushi with my boyfriend. Man, I will miss the sushi in Japan. It will never be as cheap as I can get it here. What I won't miss is the sushi chef STARING at me because I'm a foreigner *sigh*. When I first came to Japan I used to eat 13 plates of sushi, which would be 26 pieces. On Friday I ate 6 plates and felt satisfied. I think it shows how far I've come with pacing myself and recognising when I'm feeling full. So it was a nice NSV in a way.
On Saturday I went back to my old apartment (I've pretty much moved out now) to pack up the last bits and pieces that my bf will be bringing with him when he visits for Christmas and also to throw out the rest. I had to bin a giant bin bag of clothes, it was so sad! But they're just clothes. Kitchen cabinet is gone and all that's left is my drawers which will be sold next Saturday. Phew!

On Saturday I had a bit of a moment with my health. I wanted something for lunch so we bought a bento lunch from a supermarket. They're made in store and are usually pretty good. I bought one that wasn't exactly the image of healthy, but it tasted great. It was like a fried meat thing (tonkatsu) with rice. An hour or so later I start to get some stomach cramps where I had to lay down for a while. Finally it was time to evacuate what was in there. While I was on the toilet (I'm sorry, skip this paragraph if it's TMI) I started to get chills and felt extremely nauseous. I didn't throw up, it all came out (in 2 trips!) but for a while one of my organs on the upper left side was making very weird noises. I kept hearing this noise, like a squirting noise coming from that area of my body. Needless to say, I freaked out a bit since I've never heard that before. I just thought to myself "what have I done to myself? My body does not deserve this!" It was a pretty gross wake up call that I need to eat HEALTHY and stop funneling shite into my mouth. I completely agree with you, Dott, my body is a gift and I need to stop abusing it with food that just isn't good for me.

Exercise
None existent I'm sad to report. I'm hoping this week I can get back on track since I've no where to be and a lot of my moving out plans are sorted now. I've got a 10K to do next month and I want to beat my personal record!

Nutrition
Gah, I don't even know what my nutrition goal is anymore. So right now I'm going to call it. For 4 weeks I am not allowed to buy any sort of junk food 6 days a week. I said it!

Weight
I finally have my scale in this apartment! I weighed myself this morning and it was 164.4 lbs which is an increase from when I last weight in by about 1.3 lbs if I remember correctly. I find that I can motivate myself by weighing, if I see a loss it really inspires me to keep working hard. I have to be careful that I don't get too wrapped up in my weight, but if I can control that madness then the scale is an important tool for my weight loss success.

------------

Dott - I can only imagine how impatient you must feel, I know I would be too if I were so close. Sometimes I forget how far I've come and feel like I'm at the very beginning of my journey, when I should always reflect on all the progress I've made and be thankful. The last 20 lbs are notorious for being difficult and sometimes you do have to kick up exercise a notch but you have to eat more for that shift too. I'm absolutely positive you will reach your goal soon, just 12 lbs to go! Amazing! I can't wait for your Goal! thread with before and after pictures .
Haha, well please do tell your Mum that a random person on the internet thinks her cooking sounds insane! Maybe she has something wrong with her tongue so only really weird tastes appeal to her taste buds?! Soup without water?? Oh man...wouldn't that just be a paste??
You're absolutely right, my body is a gift and I need to treat it nicely. Sometimes it's so difficult since I find myself craving junk foods. I know it's not right, but I need to purge my body of it. I'll be so thankful to back in a country where there is more choice for me so I don't reach for the junk food to fill a void. They don't even have hummus in this country . HUMMUS!
Wow, I wish I was hiking with you!! Sounds like you've got a great menu, I hope you have a fantastic time. Well done on slowing down with the exercise, even though your chill out exercise is still more than what most people do at full intensity haha. Rollerblading...I loved it so much as a kid. One time I tried to walk my dog on blades, it lasted a minute before I was dragged into a lamp post. One of many of my bad ideas.
A maintenance break might be a great idea you know. Your body will get used to being in maintenance for a while and if you suddenly get back into weight loss mode you might see a huge drop since it'll shock your body! Huge congrats on reaching 137 lbs!!

Last edited by Riestrella; 07-06-2014 at 10:50 PM.
Old 07-14-2014, 11:08 AM   #234  

S/C/G: 150/ticker/120

Height: 5'4

Rie sorry you've been talking to yourself for a week!

I keep beginning to write a post then worrying that I haven't time to catch up on everyone's news, and I panic that I'm missing something and I'll seem rude if I've not responded about a particular point. So I'm going to try and break that cycle now by writing a quick post to say hello, and then trying not to be rubbish and vanish again.

So HI!! I'm still here
themilesawaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 04:46 PM   #235  

Rie-Sorry to leave you hanging like that! I imagine no sushi can compare once you've had it in Japan. That's a great NSV to realize you need less to fill you up! I'm sorry about getting sick, but sometimes it takes things getting bad before we realize the changes we have to make. I know I suffered so many times over dairy and gluten before I was ready to admit the extent of my food intolerances. Now though, I'm not even tempted! I'm sure that's the point you're getting at too
I really wish you luck on the junk food thing. You can do it! I know junk food has been one of the harder habits for you(like me staying within calories ) but I know you can kick the junk food habit once and for all! Just realize, once you've gone without it for a little bit you won't even want it anymore!
I really believe that some people need the scale. Its interesting how for some it helps and for others like myself it can just cause more trouble than its worth. I'm currently on a mini scale break. I'm sorry I wasn't able to do my final weigh in for the bikini challenge I didn't realize I'd still be gone and away from my scale for the last weigh in!
I really do think there is something off about my mom's tongue! haha Well the soup without water was actually worse than paste I think. See, she heard of this recipe for making tortilla soup with doritos(yuck!) from my dad. I guess his mom used to make it when he was young and he really liked it. So he told her the basic ingredients(taco flavored doritos, shredded cheese, cabbage etc) and so my mom layered those ingredients in a casserole dish....and made no soup stock, roux, or liquid for it. Instead, she realized soup should probably be a little wet so she poured a can of stewed whole tomatoes on top(blech) and BAKED it. So it was just hot soggy chips and random vegetables with no seasoning and these giant stewed tomatoes sitting on top hahaha
No hummus?! That should be a crime....
You're gearing up to leave soon aren't you? Are you excited for your trip to Spain? I bet you're really excited to see your family, I'm sure they've missed you a lot.

milesaway-it doesn't matter if you miss something! Just pop in and let us know how you're doing If quick updates is all you have time for, then just do that! We won't think you're rude

I'm still on a maintenance/no calorie counting break. I'm also on a bit of a scale break since I was at my boyfriend's, then on my trip, then back at my boyfriends. I tend to do well away from the scale and also I know it will show me a really wonky number from all the water retention on the trip. Physically I look like I've lost weight from the trip, but my legs are still super swollen. Also I ended up losing my period over the trip. I was due to start the day of, but it disappeared along with all symptoms. After being back a couple days and eating enough calories the symptoms came back and it looks like I'm starting it today

I did a big write up about my trip along with a link to a ton of photos on another thread. Here's the link if anyone would like to read/see it http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exer...ml#post5040673

Nutrition-I'm doing intuitive eating while on my break. I'm truly surprised how I naturally eat very small amounts but often. I've always thought I was a more big meal type of person. I'm really liking it though. I don't feel deprived or like I'm going crazy from constantly worrying about the numbers. I'm going to weigh myself when my period is done and if the scale is kind, I think I might just stick with intuitive eating. Otherwise its back to counting calories next week!

Exercise-Obviously did an insane amount of exercise. Now that I'm back I'm still active normally. But I'm sticking to light cardio till my muscles are done repairing themselves. So lots of walking. Which I enjoy so its fine. After my muscles are recovered I'm going to throw myself fully into weight lifting. I realized on the trip that I've become too skinny and weak. I really need more muscle mass if I want to go on more longer and harder trips. Also to reach what I want aesthetically, I think its time for heavy lifting.

Weight-As I said, I'm not sure what my weight is. Some of my clothes feel loser and I look thinner, but I'm not going to get an accurate reading till after my period and muscle recovery. I'm not as stressed about my weight like before. I realize that I will reach my goals in time, but that this isn't a race and I need to go this at my own pace.
Old 07-14-2014, 11:36 PM   #236  
I've left 3FC! Check sig

Hey everyone!

So it's Tuesday today and on Friday morning I'll be leaving Japan. It's been an interesting 2 years, with its fair share of ups and downs. I am really sad to be leaving, it definitely feels like the end of an era and I'm kinda nervous about the next stage of my life. I've been meeting with friends for the last time before I leave and this week my boyfriend is treating me to a meal out every night since I've officially run out of money! He's lovely like that. I'm going to go to the awesome grimy pasta place I mentioned not too long ago, sushi and then an amazing authentic Italian pizza place that I visited recently with a friend.

On Saturday night (12th) I went to my last karaoke session with my friends, we went to a fancy bar too and had one drink since it was super expensive. My friends were convinced that Russian mafia drinks there, hah! It was such a fun night, here are a few pictures:

I'm on the left!

Singing/dancing to Kate Bush's "Wuthering Heights"

Me singing Ellie Goulding's "Burn"

As you can see, the room we got had its very own stage, disco lighting and it even had a view of the city! It was incredible.

I managed to get rid of all my furniture and I'm currently at my boyfriends house waiting for Friday to roll up. Since I've run out of money I don't have much to do, but that's fine with me since I feel like I've done most of everything that Tokyo has to offer. I'm starting to get quite sad at the prospect of leaving, especially since I know it'll mean long distance for my boyfriend and I. But I feel like we're stronger than ever now and the time apart might actually do us both some good. I think we both need to work on bettering ourselves as individuals since we have a bad habit of just slobbing out together.

For me, I want to get back to England and hit the ground running with my 10K training/weight loss efforts. I am going to eat clean, it's just that simple. I have looked into juicing to get in my daily amount of vegetables, I think it's such a fantastic idea for a vegetable hater like me! I like some vegetables, but a lot of the leafy greens I don't tend to get in my diet so I want to juice them and get them in my body that way. So I'm actually quite excited to be back home with lots of time to experiment with healthy eating. Lucky for me my house back in England is far away from any shop. I would have to walk a few miles just to get some junk food, unlike Japan where it's literally a 30 second walk to the nearest shop. So it will be sorta like a junk food rehab for me, which is PERFECT for my phase 4 goal.

I'm looking forward to my holiday with my family, I'm not excited just yet since I'm still caught up in all the emotions of leaving, but I know it'll be just what I need after all the stress of leaving a country. My family have been sending me emails saying how excited they are to see me, which is lovely knowing that even though it'll be a sad farewell I'll have a loving welcome.

I've also booked the flight for my boyfriend to visit me in England over Christmas. It was pretty expensive...but it's an expensive time of year to fly. I wanted to surprise him with a trip to Prague for New Year, but I'm paying for half of his flight (we always go halves if we're visiting each other) so even if I got a job I wouldn't be able to afford it . Oh well, I think I might try and spend New Years in London, there's always an incredible fire work display.

Needless to say, exercise, nutrition & my weight have suffered due to inactivity for the past month. I'm quite lucky that my weight doesn't shoot up that much if I don't do anything, but I'm sitting around 163 lbs - 165 lbs (on a bad day). Everything is packed away in my suitcases which have been weighed a million times since I want to avoid being charged for overweight baggage. Honestly, I'm waiting for my Spain holiday to be over before I start back up again with health and fitness. I know how terrible that sounds, but it's what I want and I'm actually really excited to get back and start. However I will be swimming and running in Spain, I want to run 3 times a week and do some vigorous swimming in between run days so I can avoid gaining weight while on holiday. My Mum wants to run too, so it'll be good to have a running buddy. I LOVE swimming, if I'm not sitting in the shade since I despise sunbathing I'm in the water, so I can't wait. I'm going to try my best to eat healthier in Spain, to choose lighter options, always drink water in the day time and avoid Coke altogether, but I know that I will divulge with alcohol and some delicious Spanish food.

So this will be my last post in a while I'm afraid. I'll be back on August 2nd with tales from Spain! I'll miss you guys!

---------------------------------

milesaway - I know what you mean, I've done the same thing with posting before! Don't worry too much about missing things, I know I wouldn't be offended! Glad to see you're still around though, I look forward to reading your updates.

Dott - Glad to see you back! That meal your Mum attempted...oh my goose, I thought I was a bad cook! At the time I'm sure it was painful to shovel into your mouth but I hope you can laugh about it now! Wow, your trip sounded INTENSE. I wouldn't have been able to handle those dangerous conditions! Your pictures are lovely too, it looked beautiful despite being so touch and go! Sounds like you've really come around with treating your body kindly and giving it a break when it's needed and realising that it's not a race to the finish line . I'm so proud! I hope after your mini scale/calorie counting break you find you've had a drop in weight, but if not, just keep swimming! You're a huge inspiration to me.
Old 07-18-2014, 05:14 AM   #237  

Hi guys!

I'm making a really concerted effort to post more regularly. I fell off that wagon with a crash and I'm slowly trying to clamber back on. So time to try and catch up a bit, but I can't do long posts, so here goes:

Rie Good luck with the move! Your dress is beautiful, I'm glad you wore it AND had a great night. Enjoy Spain! Good luck being active and making healthy choices as well as having fun and enjoying yourself because you're on holiday! When you get back to the UK is about when I turn 30, so I'm totally with you on the fresh start and healthy life choices! Have a great time with your family and do tell us all about your trip!

Dott I'm glad you had a great time away. That link to your post doesn't work for me but I'll try and find it in another thread. Good luck with the recovery, I can imagine it takes a little while for your muscles to recover. I had a tournament at the weekend, which involved playing 4 games, each with 2 20min halves. I felt like I'd been hit by a truck for the next few days, and that was just 1 day! I'm really impressed by your planning for meals too, planning is something I struggle at but I know how helpful it is! I've been slacking off the gym lately, but I really want to get back to lifting. I follow quite a few female bodybuilders as inspiration to really build some decent muscle. One day!

Nutrition

I've been so terrible lately. Snacking is my main problem, and not planning. I know I'll lose fat so easily if I plan my meals and healthy snacks and do my best to resist temptation, but I've just fallen out of the habit. I've been sloooowwlly getting back to it, having healthy(ish) lunch and breakfast all this week, and I made a healthy dinner one night. I just need to find a balance, rather than trying to go 100% clean overnight. I'll get there, somehow.

Exercise

Again, I've been slacking. I've not been to the gym in weeks. I've got out of the habit and I'm really struggling to get back into it. I used to go to the gym in the morning before work, which was great, but lately I've been struggling to get up in time so haven't made it. I did go for a run this week though and beat my PB, so a small victory! I might try changing my alarm tone or something to break the cycle of oversleeping so I can get back to the gym.

Weight

I've been back in the 140s for the past month or so. I just need to knuckle down and get some control back into my routine. I'm increasingly caring less about my weight though, as lots of people have commented lately about how much slimmer / fitter I'm looking, and I know part of that must be down to muscle gain and fat loss rather than actual weight change. It's strange, I'm like Rie in that I'm motivated by the scale, but I'm really starting to think that I should take less notice of the numbers on the scale, and concentrate more on how my clothes fit, and how I feel. It's a tricky one.

Hope you have a great weekend!
Old 07-18-2014, 02:18 PM   #238  

milesaway-The link doesn't work bc the admins deleted the thread just bc it was started by someone who ended up getting banned. I sent an email asking what was up but no response Anyways....I'm really glad you're popping back in more Getting back on track is always hard, but the hardest part is the first step and you've already taken it! I'm glad you realize you need to take things slow and find a balance. Weight is a tricky one for me too....sometimes I feel like I should just stop caring about it and just focus on being healthy, gaining muscle, etc but its always gnawing away at me Wish this stuff wasn't so complicated.

Rie-You look HOT in your dress! What a fun night! I'm too scared to sing even in front of close friends, so I think you're pretty brave. Wow today is the day! I hope you're having a safe and stress free flight. I know you're sad about leaving, but you seem to be taking a very healthy attitude towards it and looking at this as an opportunity for both you and your bf to work on some self improvement. I'm so excited for you to be back in England, bc I know you're going to work so hard and be totally awesome doing all your races You're boyfriend is going to be so impressed when he comes for Christmas and sees all the changes you've made! Even though you haven't been losing lately, at least you know how to maintain. With all the stress from leaving, I think its best that you took this time to spend it with friends and your bf doing fun stuff instead of worrying about weight loss.
I'll miss you while you're in Spain, but can't wait to see pictures and hear from your trip!

Since for some reason the thread I posted about all my exercise adventures in is gone without explanation, here is a link to the pics on fb https://www.facebook.com/dorothy.rob...1240052&type=3

And for anyone who didn't get to read my post since the link no longer works, here's the run down of my trip you can go to my blog on 3fc to read about it www.3fatchicks.com/diet-blogs/dottington/

Nutrition-This maintenance/calorie counting break has been wonderful. I don't over eat at all, I can trust my hunger signals, I'm NOT gaining weight(like I so feared I would!), I'm still craving my healthy foods....its wonderful. I can't wait to be in "real" maintenance once I get to goal. A part of me really doesn't want to go back to counting calories since I feel much "saner" not counting. I get really number obsessed and it tends to rule my life I'm thinking of some kind of intermittent fasting perhaps? Something to control calories, but not in a calorie counting way.

Exercise-I've been resting and recovering since my trip. Lots and lots of sleep! I'm still active though naturally. I just like doing active things for fun, but I'm not doing my normal intense exercises. Next week I'm going to start my weight training program with V(my exercise buddy) and aim for two 90min full body workouts twice a week and one day a week of hiking(I can't stay away from hiking!). All my time otherwise needs to go to practicing since summer is a little over half way over and I have a lot of music to learn.

Weight-Still coming down I think but hovering around the high 130s. I'm still on TOM. This has been the worst TOM I can remember having in a long time. I lost my period over the trip and then its comes back with a vengeance. My hormones have been crazy, I've been crazy, super tired, lazy, emotional, hungry, cramps...ugh Just a really, really bad one. I'm excited for it to be over!

I'm really hoping that my maintenance break re-set my "set point" weight, which is 140-145. The theory after the maintenance break is that your body will be more willing to release the weight. I really hope that's true. Starting Monday I'm back to losing weight!
Old 07-21-2014, 01:26 PM   #239  

Rie-Hope you're having a great time in Spain!

milesaway-Hope you're taking things slow and not being too hard on yourself

Nutrition-Calorie counting/maintenance break is over. Intuitive eating was WONDERFUL. I didn't overeat at all(except this weekend since we went out with some friends, but it was weird bc I felt in control of it....like I was aware that I ate too much, accepted it, and moved on if that makes any sense...). I maintained my weight easily as well. I now know that maintenance will be so awesome bc I can do it without counting calories and just trusting my body! That thought has me very motivated right now to lose these last stubborn lbs.

I've decided to give intermittent fasting a go. I kind of hate it because its so against my natural hunger cues, but for weight loss my natural hunger cues aren't very helpful I simply need to buckle down and get these last few lbs off for good. So I'm trying it out today and aiming for the rest of the week but we'll see. If I'm too miserable I'll just go back to regular counting.

I'm back to calorie counting too. Now that I'm not training and from my own experiments, I seem to lose best if I only do intense workouts 2-3x/wk and aim for 1200-1300 NET calories. So back to that as well. Also no cheat days of course since that's my next(and final) nutrition goal. So for 6 weeks I'm doing my own mini challenge!

Exercise-Just being my active self Lots and lots of walking, swimming, biking. Heading back to the gym this week.

Weight-Guess I've been maintaining? TOM ending and then I was at my fiance's for a few days and am still not back. Also this weekend I did eat too much(and drink too much )

We actually had a really awesome weekend. We went out Sat and I was so excited because we NEVER go out! We are super boring people and for fun we take long walks, cook, watch documentaries, go to the beach etc We don't drink hardly ever and are very frugal so when we eat out its usually whole-in-the-wall ethnic places. And I love those places and love finding hidden gems but its nice to go out for a fancier meal every once in a while I got super dressed up and we met this other couple for a delicious Greek meal then went to some bars. The first bar was this underground whiskey bar that I liked, but no one else seemed to lol Then we walked around for a while trying to find a different place and ended at this place called "The Congregation" and everything had this catholic twist and they played awesome music(The Smiths and Pixies). The best part though was the wait staff were dressed up kind of like catholic school boys/girls, but very stylized(like anime/manga stylized) and most of the servers were very attractive It was a fun place with great service and reasonable prices. We had a lot of fun. And I'm glad we got it out of our system bc I seriously don't understand how people can party every week(or multiple times a week!). I'm good now for a few months of being boring
We were tired yesterday so hung out at the pool swimming and napped. I made a huge feast for dinner(thai yellow curry, rice noodles with vegetables, and curried rice) and my fiance is thrilled because now he has almost all his meals for the week I'm staying today since I don't work Monday's and am making a pasta bake since that's what my fiance requested. Also am going to make some gluten free chocolate chip cookies. I'm not that into pasta, even the gluten free kind. I think its because I'm gluten intolerant and pasta caused me so much stomach pain for all the years I ate it(my mom made me eat that weird licorice flavored pasta at least 3x/wk growing up). Just not that into it so I'm thinking I might make myself something else for dinner....

Just being lazy today, I might go swimming later but haven't decided. Tonight after dinner we may take a walk. Nice relaxing day
Old 07-23-2014, 12:25 PM   #240  

Oh gosh. I started this post about 8 hours ago and forgot about it!

Dott That's crazy that other people's posts disappear if someone's thread gets deleted. Why did they get banned!? I had a look at your pics and read your blog. OMG. I think I'd pictured your hikes as, well, mostly walking, maybe with some poles. A bit like these guys:

Not glacial bouldering!! That looks super tough, you must be so proud of yourself for completing it. I like walking, I might give an easy hike a go one day. I ended up walking to the station from work yesterday because my connecting train was mega delayed, through Central London and over the River Thames. It's only 4 miles, but it was nice not to be on a hot train! I've attached a pic I took crossing Battersea Bridge. It was much sunnier than it looks!

How's the intermittent fasting going? It's not something I know a lot about but it doesn't sound appealing. I like to eat little and often.

Rie Hope you're having an amazing holiday! Fingers crossed this UK heatwave holds out for you when you get back, to soften the blow as it were. It's so gorgeous outside, it sucks being stuck in an office all day!

Nutrition

I'm back counting calories and trying to make healthier decisions. I've done pretty well this week so far (I know it's only Wednesday) and I'm feeling good for it. I think the hugely important thing for me is having healthy snacks available. This week it's been olives and celery with unsweetened peanut butter. And I've not bought Ice Cream!

Exercise I've got back to going to the gym, and I went for a run in the scorching sun yesterday at lunch. I didn't beat my pb but I did match it. I worked out I either walked or jogged at least 11 miles yesterday, what with my train being cancelled. I was worried my shoes would fall apart but they didn't luckily. I can still feel my muscles from Monday's workout, and I'm guessing I'll feel my legs tomorrow. I've got our last training session tonight before a really important game on Saturday. I'm going to give 100% and hope it's a good one and I don't get frustrated. I had a good session on Sunday, so fingers crossed I can keep hold of that positivity tonight.

Weight Well as of this morning I'm back down to 140, having been stuck at 143 / 144 for what feels like forever. I don't know if it's a fluke, or if just 2 days of eating well and exercising really does make that much of a difference for me. I'll see if I can keep it up all week for once. I'm counting down to my 30th and feel like I'm in pretty good shape, all things considered. So the goal isn't a weight one per se, it's just to try and feel like I'm in a good, healthy place as I enter my 4th decade. Scary stuff!

Hopefully these good habits I'm clawing back with eating and exercising will be reflected in my ability to post more regularly too! I'm definitely planning on sharing my mfp once it's got a bit more entered, and I really want to start this blog I've been going on about for ages. Positive thinking!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Thames.jpg (95.9 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by themilesawaygirl; 07-23-2014 at 12:27 PM. Reason: attach pic