Old 12-17-2013, 01:06 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 190/167/130

Height: 5'7

Default Grad School Group?

Hi all!

A few months ago I joined the site and it helped me a lot. I got cocky when I was more than halfway to my goal and stopped coming on as frequently. In addition I was starting grad school and became beyond busy.

I was doing very well until Thanksgiving when family stress, the holidays, and finals helped me to gain a decade in a month. Now I'm not saying the 60s aren't fun with all those sock hops and hippies and all, but I am very disappointed in myself.

I guess I was just wondering how other grad school students are dealing with these pressures. I used to do Zumba religiously until I kept being exhausted after classes nd needing that time to recoup or do work. Eating habits have worsened. I was paleo before school and for the first two months but I lost that when usually the only paleo options at the cafeteria are salad or salad, usually with the only protein available being hard boiled eggs.

I'm so afraid of all of my hard work and will-power over the past 10 months being for naught.
NetherfieldNerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 02:24 PM   #2  
Level 5 Vegan

S/C/G: 289/171/140

Height: 5'4"

Hi there!

I usually forgive myself for not exercising when things are especially stressful, and park as far as I can from the building where my department is so I get extra steps. I never go to the cafe, I always bring something - I plan every bite for the day so I can't go over. I only calorie count, so I have no other dietary restrictions, which makes that a little easier.

I just finished my second semester of grad school, first semester of TAship, and am using this month-long break to really focus on myself.
PUPMOM5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 02:21 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 190/167/130

Height: 5'7

Refocusing over the next week and a half is going to be important to me. Thank you for the advice on planning out my day where food is concerned. I am really struggling with only being able to get a considerable amount done when I am at my favorite coffee shop. I don't know why I've been ignoring the library. Maybe I should move my studiousness there... Unfortunately for my caffeine addiction.

Congrats on finishing up a semester of TAship!!!!
NetherfieldNerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 10:11 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 212.6/Ticker/137

Height: 5'5"

Oh hey!! I like the idea of a grad school group. In my experience at least, grad school really is a different world than undergrad (and I love it).

I agree - when things get uber busy, school has to take priority to rigid workout schedule. I will work out when possible but I'm not gonna beat myself up if I lay off a bit. I also avoid eating anything from the cafeteria at all costs. Not that there aren't healthy ways to make it work, but it isn't a viable option to live off. Annnnnnnnnnnnd its always filled with super immature undergrads and I might be a jaded impatient grad student haha.

I'm well into (too long :P) into my MSc and don't take any actual courses. I've completed all the physical experiments for my thesis so I currently am holed up in my office working on publishing my data. I've also TAed quite a bit but next semester I'm the actual instructor for an upper-level course in my research area. Really friggen pumped, in a super nervous kinda way

ETA: Anyone else in this current reality? Anatomy of a Winter Break

Last edited by dehtripper; 12-20-2013 at 10:13 AM.
dehtripper is offline   Reply With Quote