NSV - crossfit

• I am certainly doing a dance today (albeit a sore one). As of today I have had two full weeks on plan with diet AND running 3x/wk AND 3x/wk of crossfit. I haven't really seen much impact on the scale, but I know it will come and I am too motivated to keep going to let it get me down. I never wold have guessed that I would want to do crossfit, but I am so proud that I can and that I am sticking with it. So today I am going to celebrate me - and tomorrow it's back to running.

• That's great!!! One of my girlfriends keeps trying to get me to do crossfit, but I just don't feel mentally ready. I'm wondering if I should just suck it up and take the plunge!
  • Oh, and congratulations!! Keep it up, and you will see the change!
  • You should do it! It's only you against yourself. I don't beat myself up for finishing a workout last - because I know I will finish. You can cry, curse, or scream, but you can't give up.

The workouts are very simple in theory. It's always rounds of circuits with 3 - 4 exercises. No machines. Just simple moves that push you hard. See if there is a gym near you that offers introductory courses. Mine has a set of classes that does everything the normal class does, but we don't use the bar bell - instead we use hand weights or kettlebells.

I would never admit to liking it while I'm there, because it feels a little it like death, but the pride I feel and the energy I have gained in just 2 weeks is remarkable.

Also, check out living social and groupon - that's how I found my gym and got a big discount.
  • Be careful with crossfit. I've been doing it for a year, and it's fabulous, but if you're at the point where you're screaming, crying, etc., you should probably back off or scale. I recently spent nearly a week in the hospital with rhabdo, because of a failure to do this. It's not fun. As a former division 1 athlete I thought pushing oneself to failure was "no big deal," but after that experience, I think I'll be more careful.

Note, this isn't to say crossfit isn't awesome. I love it, and will probably go back once my blood levels have finished dropping and I get clearance. Also, it isn't just cross fit that folks get this from. It's any super intense activity that uses a lot of eccentric muscle contractions.

Keep up the good work! Just thought I'd give out my little rhabdo PSA, as I had no idea what it was until I got it. lol.