3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   20-Somethings (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/20-somethings-56/)
-   -   What if we look at weight loss in different lights? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/20-somethings/287158-what-if-we-look-weight-loss-different-lights.html)

goldengirlamy 09-04-2013 02:54 AM

What if we look at weight loss in different lights?

I've realized something today. If being fat were considered a serious illness I would be completely motivated to do anything to get healthy and live. But because I can breath and get about my day, it's not a concern....yet. This may sound crazy, but if I begin to see my weight as a sickness and the only cure is diet and exercise wouldn't that be motivating? Sounds crazy I know but it's kinda a thing that could turn into a life threatening thing.

mhill0823 09-05-2013 04:12 PM

I feel like this is a great way to think of it. Seriously being fat is a sickness that can be life threatening, but for some reason I just can't quite wrap my head around it enough to take it seriously.

IanG 09-05-2013 04:37 PM

The weird thing, for me at least, is that I did not think I felt that bad or unhealthy when I was at my heaviest weight.

It's only now the weight has come off that I realize just how bad my health was.

Cgrace 09-06-2013 07:53 AM

I like looking at it as a sickness. I also look at it as an addiction that I need to rid myself of. Once I start eating junk I can't stop and I need more and more, just like an addict with drugs or alcohol. It's a tough addiction to kick!

sontaikle 09-06-2013 08:07 AM

-

MauiKai 09-06-2013 08:10 AM

Being fat IS a serious illness. In fact, obesity was recently recognized as such by the AMA. What it's doing to you, even though you can't see or feel all the effects immediately, is horrible. It's not like you get a warning letter before you become diabetic, it is a fairly stealthy process, most people miss it until it's too late. Same with heart disease, and clogging and hardening of the arteries.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/19/bu...ease.html?_r=0

Deana509 09-08-2013 12:09 AM

Yes, just as MauiKai said, Obesity is now considered a disease...

Daimere 09-08-2013 04:15 AM

I agree! I feel like if I got diagnosed with some fat-related issue (that's worse than my bum knee like diabetes or something), people wouldn't say things like, "healthy food is too expensive," etc. I started this year saying "oh I am just craving salads or I just want to get rid of heartburn" when people questioned my eating habits. It worked. But the moment you are saying you are losing weight....BAM!....random people shove food in your face! Heck this week alone, I was explaining my IFing and one person accused me of hurting myself

goldengirlamy 09-08-2013 06:34 AM

I don't mean this in a sense of anything taboo like eating disorders, or anything dangerous, but that if I had a disease I would do anything to get better, but because I can go about my day being fat, it's not a problem for me. Not yet.

Today was a huge eye opener. Husband and I went out for the first time in a while and I got dressed up or tried too (My clothes were not fitting like they were 2-3 months ago, too tight) I practically go out of breath just walking (really? I wasn't even really going up hill), I was sweating like crazy.

Earlier this week, I went 'running' and I couldn't even make it the square perimiter of our little league baseball field behind our apartment area.

I am seriously on a bad path. I'm working so hard in school, but I feel like being unhealthy and keeping it up is going to get in the way of me getting a job (being really fat and appearing unhealthy). Just as my graduate degree is a slow work in progress, my weight loss needs to be too! But it's a necesitiy for me just like grad school. I need to think of this in a different light. Like a disease, like I'm being graded (I'll bust my *** for a good grade)