Old 08-22-2013, 10:41 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 202.2/147.6/130

Height: 5'2

Default I need some help

I haven't been on here lately, my life has just been unbelievably busy lately, with vacations and such. i'm glad fall is finally arriving and life will calm down a lot Anyway, I've lost 37 pounds on medifast and decided to phase off wholefoods, and since then I've gained back 5 pounds, which I'm not too concerned about because Medifast was SOO low carb, now that i'm eating fruits and grain again, it's only natural. I'm expecting it to go away fairly quickly, it's only been a little over a week since I quit.

I joined Anytime fitness and I've been going to a fitness class almost every night...zumba, Megaburn, Bootcamp, and I had a personal training session which was very helpful, she gave me a personalized workout and explained how to adjust it. Other then that I'm eating between 1200 and 1500 calories, I have a fitbit to count my burned calories, and I try to remain in a 500-600 calorie deficit. But last night at megaburn the instructor was talking about sodium (but didn't actually explain it, I think that was in a previous class and I forgot to ask after)...and I realized that I actually do eat a lot of sodium...I eat a lot of canned veggies and tuna, because they are easy to grab on my way out the door. My day starts at 4:30am, and ends at 7:30pm, so I just don't have a lot of time to do make food, etc. Anyway does anyone know the amount of sodium that is alright to eat? And whats wrong with it, anyway?

I've also been eating A LOT of fruit, and I realize that's a lot of sugar I shouldn't be eating but I am kind of out of ideas. In medifast everything was prepackaged and because it puts you in ketosis, I was never hungry. Now I'm just always hungry and I have a really hard time staying under my calorie goal, but I don't really know what to eat that is low in calories but filling. I eat a lot of eggs, lean protein, canned veggies, fresh veggies when I have them, and yogurt, and nuts. What do you eat that's filling and low cal?
Andi24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 03:32 PM   #2  
This is not a test.

S/C/G: 187/132/127.8

Height: 5'5''/165cm

my understanding is that sodium is mostly found in salt- too much salt not only means you retain water (and a higher number on the scales!) but can be bad for your cardiac health and blood pressure. You need some sodium for your body to use, but lots of foods have too much sodium, more than we need, especially if you are buying processed foods or preserved foods. The heart foundation recommends 2300mg of sodium or 6g salt per day for an adult http://www.heartfoundation.org.au/he...ages/salt.aspx

I find that things with lots of fibre keep me full That includes fruit, but also things like brown rice, wholemeal pasta, wholegrain breads etc. I also add a little bit (measured bit!) of fat to my lunch if it doesnt already have it, e.g. if I am having veg and pasta salad, I might add a little cheese or olive oil, to help balance the meal out and keep me full.
Iconised Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 04:35 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 270/270/160

Height: 5'5

Welcome back. I tend to put on water fast so I keep mine at 2200 mg and it adds up very quickly. I tend to eat things not processed, watch your canned items the sodium helps preserve them. I go for the cleaner the better, less sodium and well my body responds better to them. I keep my carbs at 30-40% only whole grains /fruit and veggies/ one healthy fat a day and add a protein everytime I eat carbs. It will cut down on the cravings.
cleancowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote