Old 08-16-2013, 05:59 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 202.2/147.6/130

Height: 5'2

Default OK fitbit users...

Is this accurate?? I agree with how many steps I've taken today, 7771, which is comparable to my old one with how far I usually am by this point in the day...but how could I possibly have burned 1646 calories just by doing my normal activity, when I work my *** off to burn 500 at the gym?? That just doesn't seem right...and if it did I wouldn't have such a bad weight problem.
Andi24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 10:25 PM   #2  
Vortex

S/C/G: 330/see ticker/???

Well, I think it's taking (theoretically) account of basal metabolism, etc. Those 500 are the "extra" and yes, they're harder to burn. But we burn calories just digesting our food, and doing everything we do. If we didn't, we'd have to eat even fewer calories than we do to lose weight. Think about it this way--you need a 500 calorie daily deficit to lose a pound a week. If you eat 1200 and burn 1700, you've got that deficit. Are you losing a pound a week?

That said, of course, when FitBit tells you how much you've burned each day, it's an estimate, not by any means exact.
Vortex_VVV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 09:56 AM   #3  

ok, yeah I guess that makes sense...and when I synced it last night after my workout, before bed, the calorie count was a little more on par with what I was thinking...but still super high. I earned 856 calories by eating? Fitbit says to eat 700 calories less then I 'earn' when I exercise so if I go with that, I ate 800 calories less so it worked out.

i'm coming off medifast, and getting used to a normal calorie amount so my body is still adjusting to eating carbs and stuff (though i'm still off wheat), plus I just started with fitbit so I can't tell yet how well it's working, but I just thought it seemed awful high. I mean, I've already burned 500 calories today and all I've done is wake up. of course, i'm a very active sleeper, but still.

i'm about to go to bootcamp so I guess that'll be a good test.
Old 08-17-2013, 11:36 AM   #4  
~Tori~

S/C/G: 250/224.2/150

Height: 5'4

I use my fitbit for walking, but biking, weights, And workouts i use a HRM . The calories listed on your fitbit are most likely pretty accurate, they do include your daily calories that you would burn if you stayed in bed all day doing nothing.
cheeriloos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 01:53 PM   #5  

Thanks!! I did bootcamp today, and it was HARD CORE, but mostly floor stuff...crunchies, arm work, push ups, TONS of ab work and my fitbit didn't pick up most of it...i'll have to keep that in mind...maybe a heart rate moniter would be a good investment. I just calculated intense calisthenics on myfitnesspal instead.