How do you avoid binging? How do you avoid feeling deprived?

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
View Poll Results: How many Struggle With these problems?
Do you struggle with just binging?
27.27%
Do you struggle with just feeling deprived
13.64%
Do you struggle with both binging and feeling deprived?
59.09%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll
  • Hi Lady's and Gentlemen. You all are so lovely and I am glad to be back.

I have been on a health hiatus for about a year. Wow. I've tried starting up again but everytime I run into problems. Two of the main problems are Binging and feeling deprived. So I was wondering if anyone had some advice or cool little tricks they did to avoid these feelings and actions that result?

Have a beautiful day!
  • In the beginning I was so driven I really didn't have a lot of issues, but now? I'm struggling with the urge to binge constantly.

I find telling myself that I can have whatever I want, whenever I want helps. It's easier to walk away from the chocolate knowing that I can "change my mind" later.

If I really feel like I need to cheat, I will dial back the calories throughout my day and make a little extra room for that chocolate or piece of pizza.

Good luck!
  • I have struggled with binging in the past. For me, even if I wasn't hungry, I'd still want to eat anything and everything in sight. Hunger, I could control. Cravings I couldn't. I know it's still too early to say this because I just started yesterday, but going low carb has so far really stifled my desire to inhale everything in sight. Maybe try cutting out sugar from your diet for a while and see how you feel?
  • I have always struggled with bingeing, especially when I'm emotional or bored. And then it gets worse if I feel deprived or I've gotten diet fatigued (eating the same "safe" foods day in and day out).
  • I never binged until I got overly zealous about regulating my intake and therefore felt deprived. Once I stopped being so strict about "safe" foods, I stopped binging.

I would recommend reading the "Chicks in Control" subforum for more on this. Many people who are naturally healthy/non-binge eaters become binge eaters when they diet for long periods of time.
  • I've tried all along to make myself realize that I have can have whatever I want as long as I only have it in moderation and not very often. I have to keep my mind focused on what I want.
    I've also been gone now for a little over a year and I've gained all my weight plus some back.. so I'm trying to get back on track and focused!!
    Let's just commit to not disappearing again!!
  • I'm now gluten free, but I always had a general rule that I could eat anything I wanted, but it had to be made by me, and the healthiest way that I could.

If I wanted to have a burger, I'd get lean ground beef, shred veggies into the meat, and go for it.
    If I wanted pizza, I'd make it on a high fiber tortilla or flatbread, my homemade sauce, go light on the cheese, and top it with plenty of veggies.
    If I wanted BBQ ribs, I'd make baked BBQ chicken thighs.

If I wanted any food, I'd find a way to do it.

I still do that, but opt away from most carbs so my versions of flavor combinations sometimes isn't the same.
  • If I really want something salty (I'm not really into sweets as much) I'll try to find a healthier version or cut back the portions if I wanted some. I love chicken nuggets and fries and I find if I just eat them once a week rather than for two out of three meals (seriously used to do that! Ewwers) than I can usually make it up later in the week.

I do struggle with binge eating sometimes, just because my home environment alternates from mind-numbingly stressful to mind-numbingly boring and I need something to keep up, but I am getting better at it. I know this sounds goofy so bear with me, but the brand of supplements I take have the slogan "Never settle." and if I feel bad or want to not do something I should, I tell myself to never settle and elaborate on that, like an inner pep talk. It doesn't work for everyone, mind, but if you can find something like that for yourself it can really help you! It got my lazy butt to yoga class this morning, lol.
  • I used to struggle with bingeing, for almost my whole life actually especially as I would phase through various EDs. After treatment it got worse, and without the unhealthy behaviors I'd used in the past, my weight ballooned up to my ultimate high weight. I've worked really hard to change my mindset about food and look at is as something to nourish me and I try to be very intuitive and conscious about my food and eating habits and this mindfulness attitude towards eating has really helped me get the bingeing under control. I do still feel deprived at times though, but giving myself a relaxed eating day once a week really helps
  • Well, I have never binged....that maybe because i have never deprived myself of anything! I have always focused on portion control. if i wanted it i ate it but only a little bit of it! my body also responds well to appetite suppressants. I feel this is what helps me with losing weight b/c when im taking them i have a smaller appetite and feel full more quickly. I also do not crave caffeine which there is some in the supplement i take so that could be why but i crave water while im taking them.
  • Momof3- I use WL supplements too. I have lost about 5-10 lbs related to taking the supplements. I keep using them because it really helps what I think is a mild hormonal/thyroid issue. Ever since I have been taking them I have not had any mood swings or anything like that. What do you take?
  • namaste- Last year the doctor gave me phentermine but it only helped suppress my appetite for like 2 months worked well tho i lost like 25lbs. So I have been on the search for a new one that will help me I took other WL pills but they were not appetite suppressants so they did nothing for me! and I have came across A.C.E and so far (been on it 3 weeks this sat) I love it, it suppresses my appetite and gives me more energy which leaves me less moody and feeling good!
  • Momof3- Sounds great! I was given a free sample of a WL supplement to review for my website and I tried it, and it totally changed my mood and weight and everything. It is called BMR Bliss and has two other pills that go with it. I have taken it for almost a month and a half and I feel great!
  • Hey Jessica! Great question, it's gotta be the toughest thing about dieting right?!

Well, this time I'm extra motivated which is all me but I get help with the avoiding binging by taking phentermine and a weight loss supplement called phen caps. I take phentermine in the morning and then a phen cap at lunch and I'm good to go the whole day. I've surprised myself at how well I've done, even when I had to eat out twice last week, but thanks to some great advice on here I was able to order smart and still lost 3lbs in a week! So I don't feel so hungry but I do still think about the foods I like and the tastes I miss.

One tip I read is that you should save a treat for when you're basically full so you still get it but you don't binge on it. Like a couple sqaures of dark chocolate after dinner. That way I don't feel deprived and my need to have something sweet after dinner is satisfied.
  • thank you. Good luck to you to! I know what you mean thats how I feel in the begining to. But feeling deprived and countless binges is what made me leave alst time. Hearing all these awesome responses and how everyone deals with them helps so much!

thats really awesome! im goin to try to keep that in mind! thank you!

Interesting. Ya I know what you mean I am on day 3 of back on plan. woo woo! we are back!

AHH! The dreaded emotional and bored eating! I do that to! Having safe foods around helps like crazy! Thanks for the reminder.

thats interesting. Ya my binging occured after Calorie counting and dieting for a year. I think I need to keep in mind that I can do the whole portion control thing.

i love that! I commit to not disapearing and reminding myself Im not being deprived. i always say I am an all or nothing kinda girl but I think its time to form new habits. I think Im going to work on being an in moderation kinda girl.

Ooh thats a really great idea/rule. I love it! Thanks!

i feel ya this is my cause sometimes to.

thank you for that remnder. I havent had the greatest relationship with food. im going to look into working on that and start. thank you!

Hey! what appetite suppresents do you use? Sometimes I just feel like I am starving!