Old 08-12-2013, 09:18 PM   #106  

S/C/G: 200+/160.8/135

Height: 5'5.5

How is everyone!?

So just got back from backpacking! 25.4 miles, 3 days, 60lb pack, elevation ranged from 9000ft-10700ft, and even had a hiking average of 2.2 mph! I can do 3.5 uphill at low elevation, but with the pack and that elevation....yeah that wasn't happening lol I'll post some pics

I can tell I lost weight visually, but my muscles are swollen and I'm retaining a lot of water so nothing on the scale My brother dropped 10lbs! He's not big to begin with so its pretty drastic. I'm just hopping to have dropped a lb
Dottington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 09:51 AM   #107  

S/C/G: 212.6/Ticker/137

Height: 5'5"

Oh wow!! that looks/sounds like an aaaaamazing trip! And just think, that pack is just a bit heavier than what you've lost...
dehtripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 12:08 PM   #108  

S/C/G: 154/147/128

Height: 5'3.5"

You look very cute, Dottington, in your hiking gear! This is the kind of activity that you could not have done at the same pace at the beginning of your weight loss journey! You have to take a lot of pride in that.

Funny thing is that I was hiking too on Sunday, but my trip was a one-day intense trip. I hiked this mountain - Mont acropole des draveurs - one of the highest and most beautiful peaks East of the Rockies.

In the fall.

I am glad I did it, but this is a difficult mountain - see the steep ascent at the beginning - and I knew going in that I was nowhere near the optimal shape to do it. It's usually a mountain you save for later, after smaller hikes, but I did not want to pass on the opportunity.

My muscles are swollen and sore too. Walking up stairs takes me forever. I am up .8 lbs, but I cannot imagine that I did not outspent what I ate. This was akin to a six hours workout.

I want to hike this mountain again next year, after reaching my goal weight and working out regularly.

PS - Thanks for the warm welcome.
Matisse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 03:05 PM   #109  

dehtripper I didn't even think about the weight of the pack being a bit more then I've lost! haha

Matisse Wow! What a cool hike! It looks absolutely gorgeous and definitely something to be proud of The .8lb gain I'm sure is just water retention. Whenever I do a big exercise I always gain weight first, then lose it after a few days once my water levels have stabilized and my muscle swelling has gone down. I think when you hike this mountain again next year you will be amazed at how much faster you've gotten and how much easier it is for you. By the way, is your name based off the painter? Are you an artist?

Weight has dropped, but I'm at my parents and their scale reads me differently then mine, so I'm excited to weigh myself on my own scale later I did some clothes shopping yesterday bc I'm in desperate need of clothes that fit. Got some leggings with cool designs, a faux leather peplum skirt, a dress, and me and my sister got matching shirts because we're nerds like that. Its amazing though how much I love shopping and trying on clothes now. My sister is a model and a size 00-1 so I always used to feel so fat going with her, but now I actually don't feel that bad

What do you guys think about shopping/trying on clothes? Love it? Hate it? I hate how I'm a pear and a different size on top then on bottom, do you guys have that problem?
Old 08-13-2013, 04:53 PM   #110  

Yes, my nickname is based on the painter. I love his colourful/joyous paintings and how his last name sounds. Not an artist; I am a physicist/physics teacher but it all connects in some weird way. Gödel, Escher, Bach, if you know what I mean. ;-)

Congratulations on your studies/field. It must be very demanding.
Old 08-13-2013, 08:02 PM   #111  

S/C/G: 192.6/ticker/150

Height: 5'6.5

When I weighed in sunday I was 154.8, so that's a 4.6 lb loss from the previous week! I was happy with that but I have not eaten very well since then. I am getting back on track for the rest of the week and hoping for at least a 1-2lb loss.

Thanks for the encouragement Dottington! Your hiking trip sounds like it was fun!

Good luck this week everyone, stay focused and most importantly have fun!
Samantha Daisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 08:59 AM   #112  

Matisse - Those pictures are stunning. I'd love to do the rockies in summer. Or anytime for that matter. Also - I love that you teach Physics! I'm also in science - biology/zoology, though physics will always hold a special place in my heart

Dottington - Re: Shopping. I actually love it, especially when there's a sale to be had. Even at my heaviest, its one of my weaknesses. Though its even more fun now that I've lost some weight. Its fun to try things on, have them fit and still not buy them but know I could, rather than just wish & pray SOMETHING fits that relatively not ugly.

I kinda envy women with lovely pear/hourglass shapes since its so womanly compared to my total-rectangle/banana-ness. Not that I truly pine to change my shape, but you know the grass is always greener.

This morning was my weekly WI. I was pretty nervous because its the first time I've weighed myself since changing my macros/switching from WW and I felt like I was eating a lot more. BUT I lost 3lbs Which brings me to a BMI of 24.9 and thus [finally] normal!!!

Bye bye overweight me. I don't plan on coming back.

Old 08-14-2013, 10:14 AM   #113  

Quote:
Originally Posted by dehtripper View Post
Which brings me to a BMI of 24.9 and thus [finally] normal!!!
Wow - That is the most significant milestone!!! Congrats! You deserve a BIG REWARD. Perhaps a sexy new dress?

Quote:
Matisse - Those pictures are stunning. I'd love to do the rockies in summer. Or anytime for that matter. Also - I love that you teach Physics! I'm also in science - biology/zoology, though physics will always hold a special place in my heart
Cool! I have been reading more about nutrition lately and I realize how much biology is at the heart of it. I can't wait to discuss it with my friends from the biology department. Science teachers at my College hang out on Thursday's together - we have a social club called "les amis de Bohr/Bohr's friends" which is inspired by this :

Quote:
I kinda envy women with lovely pear/hourglass shapes since its so womanly compared to my total-rectangle/banana-ness. Not that I truly pine to change my shape, but you know the grass is always greener.
Too true. I would gladly give you a few cup sizes. ;-)

You should totally hike in the Rockies next summer, dehtripper. There is nothing like the high of being on top of a mountain after working SO HARD to get there with your own legs and looking at all the beauty from that point of view,
Old 08-14-2013, 11:45 AM   #114  

HA! The Bohr Social Club is a great idea. We don't have a very big physics department (or much science at all outside of biology really) which creates a sad lack of alternative opinions/views. But I love department social-times nonetheless.

I guess I still have some minor curves in the cup-department, though I've gone down ~1.5 cups. I will hold on to that fact to make me feel part of the curvy crew... and continue squatting my way to an actually butt
Old 08-14-2013, 12:18 PM   #115  

Old 08-14-2013, 01:19 PM   #116  

Matisse How cool that you're a scientist! I love science, but as a pianist have never really gotten much of a chance to learn a lot about it aside from watching documentaries

samanthadaisy Great job on the loss and getting back on track!

dehtripper How wonderful! You should be so proud of yourself!

Dumb scale is being dumb. Measurements are down a bit though. dehtripper you mentioned losing cup sizes. I've lost several since losing weight It actually makes me pretty sad as I still have weight to lose and my chest keeps shrinking!
Old 08-17-2013, 12:29 PM   #117  

Hey guys! Hope you're all having a fantastic weekend!

Matisse I saw a ton of Matisse paintings yesterday at LACMA and thought of you haha

I've been staying on plan. Visiting my bf right now. Yesterday we went to my favorite vegan restaurant for lunch then to LACMA and I finally got to see suspended mass which is a new permanent instillation that cost millions to create and I've been dying to see it for a year!

Today is my relaxed eating day, so I'm thinking pizza for dinner
Old 08-19-2013, 10:55 PM   #118  

S/C/G: 180/147/125

Height: 5'7"

Hey guys, I'm gonna jump on in here (haven't read the whole thread!).
I used to post a while ago, then life happened and gained a bunch of weight (142 to 180ish). I ended up losing what I gained and am back to where I was a few years ago give or take a few pounds. But I haven't really been trying to lose any more for about a year since I've been lazy!

Jumping back into it now, but with a different plan this time, more focused on health and fitness than the last go around.
aneleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 05:42 PM   #119  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dottington View Post
Matisse I saw a ton of Matisse paintings yesterday at LACMA and thought of you haha
Cool!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dottington View Post
I've been staying on plan. Visiting my bf right now. Yesterday we went to my favorite vegan restaurant for lunch then to LACMA and I finally got to see suspended mass which is a new permanent instillation that cost millions to create and I've been dying to see it for a year!
I looked at the pictures since it's picked my curiosity (I teach gravity after all) and I love it!

I saw my students today because it was "initiation day" (without crazy **** going on). Fresh meat! Classes begin next Monday. They are a little younger than your lot.
Old 08-21-2013, 01:35 PM   #120  

aneleh

Matisse Oh how cool! haha so are you excited with the new year starting? Do you teach high school or college? My classes begin in a little less then two weeks I'm a little nervous. Oh by the way love your new avatar pic!

Water weight is up a bit today from dairy and sodium yesterday. I did a quick calorie count in my head yesterday and I think from my experimenting with intuitive eating that my maintenance cals are 1700-1800ish(on non exercise days of course). I seem to be pretty satisfied on that amount. Which means ideally for weight loss I should be eating 1300 cals per day. I love not counting calories, but I realize I just need to be a bit more mindful when eating to aim for a little less at my meals.

Actually sticking with my strength training stuff Since I haven't had time since the backpacking trip for much cardio, its easier to get it in.